Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Michael Jackson

"good he's done" ?

He MADE MUSIC.
    Not bad, but nothing out of this world.
    He was however an excellent ENTERTAINER.

"miss him" ?

He's done nothing decent or worthwhile for 10 years.
    So not, will remember the good albums and videos same as I remember a great Beethoven symphony or Gregorian chant.

Whats the difference between MJ and Alex ferguson? Ferguson can still play Giggs in August

It has just been confimed MJ died of food poisoning. Apparently he'd eaten some 12 year old nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    It has just been confimed MJ died of food poisoning. Apparently he'd eaten some 12 year old nuts

I'm still surprised that major news networks are still on MJ's death. There are far more important things to cover today.... cap and trade (tax).

Alright, I agree that some of his music was pretty good. But that's that. I mean, it's kinda sad he went, but there are more important things to worry about. I mean, I'm sure the newspapers and news media need to make money, but WTF is wrong with them? I was watching news for the first time in a while, and they spent half an hour talking about him, with the local weather stuck in between. He's not important enough to spend half an hour on.

And then I realized that is the reason why I don't watch television news anymore.

"good he's done" ?

He MADE MUSIC.
    Not bad, but nothing out of this world.
    He was however an excellent ENTERTAINER.

"miss him" ?

He's done nothing decent or worthwhile for 10 years.
    So not, will remember the good albums and videos same as I remember a great Beethoven symphony or Gregorian chant.

Whats the difference between MJ and Alex ferguson? Ferguson can still play Giggs in August

He made major strides towards racial equality in the music business in America. He was the first black musician with a music video on MTV. He was a pioneer in mainstreaming black entertainers. He practically rewrote what has since become the overwhelmingly predominant musical genre. It's been so long since that all happened that we take for granted the different colors of skin we see on tv now.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    He was a pioneer in mainstreaming black entertainers.
    I would have to say, however, that many "mainstream" black entertainers are not of much quaility.

...today's rappers I speak of.

^^ Seriously Matt ?
    James Brown was nothing ? even back to Billy Holiday !! Sammy Davis Jr ??
    He definately "created" the idea of a story-telling video.
    How long before a black video was broadcast on MTV ? Were there any decent ones around before MJs ?

I think we can go back longer than the Jacksons to see strong leading black musicians.
    EVERYBODY learned from Muddy Waters, so influence was wider than KJ I'd say.
    WHat about Jimi Hendrix ? Bob Marley ? Hibberts ?? Rodney ???

I am spoiled by spending my teenage years listening to John Peel on BBC radio 10pm-midnight where he played great, influential and emerging music .. none of the pop-culture-crap. Can probably come up with another 10-20 black musicians who had more influence .... not made as much money or attracted "fans" but actually made a difference.

I'm talking MUSICALLY, in terms of video, presentation and showmanship he was ahead of most of his generation.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    i wouldn't call this good...
    saving the planet one dance move at a time. i had had to throw this on here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cargirl1990; 06-26-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

RIP MJ

We shouldn't forget about what made him so popular in the first place...before all the fame and the media attention and the money and the over-controlling father and the pressure helped him turn into the oddball he became. That guy was seriously talented, from a very young age, and it's too bad what happened to him as the years wore on. That level of fame has got to be hard to deal with even if you don't tend to be eccentric, and if you are...well...I think it just amplifies it.

He was one of the greats and should be respected for that, despite his latter-day antics. He sold more albums than many artists, and has influenced countless people. I'll miss him for who he was, not who he turned into.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    I would have to say, however, that many "mainstream" black entertainers are not of much quaility.

...today's rappers I speak of.
    ^ exactly. my sister thinks that their good ( becuase she listens to hip hop, pop, or anything that has black people in it, im not a racist because she's half Jamaican ) and if i say they sound terrible which they do, she gets all defensive and says " like Freddie Mercury could do better! " and of course he can. he's just dead thats all. or how about Matthew Bellamy from Muse. or the lead singer of Heart. or Chris Martin from Coldplay. those people can actually sing.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

^^ Seriously Matt ?
    James Brown was nothing ? even back to Billy Holiday !! Sammy Davis Jr ??
    He definately "created" the idea of a story-telling video.
    How long before a black video was broadcast on MTV ? Were there any decent ones around before MJs ?

I think we can go back longer than the Jacksons to see strong leading black musicians.
    EVERYBODY learned from Muddy Waters, so influence was wider than KJ I'd say.
    WHat about Jimi Hendrix ? Bob Marley ? Hibberts ?? Rodney ???

I am spoiled by spending my teenage years listening to John Peel on BBC radio 10pm-midnight where he played great, influential and emerging music .. none of the pop-culture-crap. Can probably come up with another 10-20 black musicians who had more influence .... not made as much money or attracted "fans" but actually made a difference.

I'm talking MUSICALLY, in terms of video, presentation and showmanship he was ahead of most of his generation.
    I didn't say he was the only, or even the best, mainstream black entertainer. But, none of the people you mentioned had anywhere near the star power, the industry influence, the financial draw or the cultural impact that Michael Jackson had at the peak of his career.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    ^ exactly. my sister thinks that their good ( becuase she listens to hip hop, pop, or anything that has black people in it, im not a racist because she's half Jamaican ) and if i say they sound terrible which they do, she gets all defensive and says " like Freddie Mercury could do better! " and of course he can. he's just dead thats all. or how about Matthew Bellamy from Muse. or the lead singer of Heart. or Chris Martin from Coldplay. those people can actually sing.
    wut?

I must say, I feel no ill will towards Mike, but then again, his death is no skin off my nose. I default to respect when I am neutral towards a person and I think that it would be a nicer world if others and myself were to do this more successfully more often. On the flip side however, his kids are not likely reading car fori and probably will remain no worse for wear no matter the amount of vitriol, disrespectful humor etc... in this thread.
    For instance; Matra's joke caused me to chuckle, and though it might not be the nicest thing to say, his "legacy" of alleged pedophilia has been treated far more severely by some. I am rambling a bit and don't remember my original point, but my new point is: everybody should be nicer (about most everything), but that's not going to happen, especially on the internet.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I didn't say he was the only, or even the best, mainstream black entertainer. But, none of the people you mentioned had anywhere near the star power, the industry influence, the financial draw or the cultural impact that Michael Jackson had at the peak of his career.
    He should have stayed that way....not trying to become a white woman and turns on minors.....I hated him and all his antics..good riddance
    I'm just an oldhustler trapped in a hotrodders world
    I have been doing so much with so little for so long I can do anything with nothing.
    Fiberglass is traditional.From Malmesbury,South Africa

POssibly a cultural speration Matt.
    But Jackson was a good entertainer over here but "influential" ? Only in the showmanship stakes.
    Musically what did he break hthrough with ? PUT the video aside ... the MUSIC.
    Guess I'm from "older gen music" circles where the influence of Muddy Waters et al is understood.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    wut?

I must say, I feel no ill will towards Mike, but then again, his death is no skin off my nose.
    Intended pun?

Thread Information