Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Michael Jackson

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    wut?

I must say, I feel no ill will towards Mike, but then again, his death is no skin off my nose. I default to respect when I am neutral towards a person and I think that it would be a nicer world if others and myself were to do this more successfully more often. On the flip side however, his kids are not likely reading car fori and probably will remain no worse for wear no matter the amount of vitriol, disrespectful humor etc... in this thread.
    For instance; Matra's joke caused me to chuckle, and though it might not be the nicest thing to say, his "legacy" of alleged pedophilia has been treated far more severely by some. I am rambling a bit and don't remember my original point, but my new point is: everybody should be nicer (about most everything), but that's not going to happen, especially on the internet.
    facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Intended pun?
    i think so. and he says that people should be nicer and not say disrespectful jokes. don't feel intimidated f6fhellcat.
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    Intended pun?
    Indeed, sir.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    POssibly a cultural speration Matt.
    But Jackson was a good entertainer over here but "influential" ? Only in the showmanship stakes.
    Musically what did he break hthrough with ? PUT the video aside ... the MUSIC.
    Guess I'm from "older gen music" circles where the influence of Muddy Waters et al is understood.
    I'm pretty sure his popularity, even in your culture, is evident:

In March, tickets to his This Is It concerts at the O2 became the "hottest-selling on the planet", according to organisers, with 750,000 fans snapping them up.
    Concert organisers said they were the fastest-selling tickets in London ever. They sold at a rate of 11 per second, 657 per minute and nearly 40,000 an hour with face prices of £50 to £75.

- Telegraph.co.uk: news, business, sport, the Daily Telegraph newspaper, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

As I'd agreed "popular" is fine ..... "influential" is a different thing
    Besides MOST of those sales wer speculators who then put them back up on eBay at a fortune and many were overseas.

What, in your mind, makes someone musically influential?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I'm sad for his children & fans - those who needed him.

But I'm mostly sad he died a weird shadow of his former glory, unable to reconcile his personal demons with a public persona.
    This I agree with. The person who we miss and idolise is the MJ we knew almost 10 years ago. Because we have rarely seen him since. At that point in his prime there was nobody else in the industry who came close to his impact. We speak of certain musical gods in the last century but who can we really compare to him? At one point he was in many respects inhuman according to anybody's standards. This is who we will think of when we mourn his death. The point especially before all the (Never proven) accusations began and took him away from the limelight. In that respect we lost him many years ago. For me I cant forgive the people who made him think the world didnt care anymore. If only he could see how his death has shaken the world. But the sad thing is he was about to crawl back into the public eye. That's the tragic thing. He was truly the musical icon of the 20th Century to me. To think of music without michael jackson is just too hard to comprehend for many people including me. Even if he hadnt technically been in the business for some years. To know that music will no longer be contributed to by such a person is a very, very sad thing.

I also think jokes should be put aside for a thread titled R.I.P. Those who insist on doing so should go elsewhere. Since afterall you are falling victim to the media's opinion and generally biased view on a matter that we all know absolutely nothing about. And should not be allowed to overshadow such an important moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    He made major strides towards racial equality in the music business in America. He was the first black musician with a music video on MTV. He was a pioneer in mainstreaming black entertainers.
    I can think of more memorable black people that made a difference in regards to racial equality. If MJ was so passionate about the whole thing, then why in the process did he turn himself into what looks like a white woman with a crack addiction.

I'd heard of MJ numerous times when I was younger, but the first time I ever saw an actual picture of him was in 2002. Did I know or think he was a black man? No, not even close. It was my friend that had to tell me. You can bet I didn't see that one coming.

That's the equivalent to a feminist pushing for female rights in other countries around the world and getting a sex change along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    What, in your mind, makes someone musically influential?
    From the list of black musicians I'd given before I'd say it was "clear".

To bring a NEW music style to life.

MJ didn't really do anything radical, just he did all the stuff around it better than anyone.
    So as an entertainer and self-promoter he's one of the best for sure and his influence in pop videos is self-evident.

But musically ?
    I'd ask the other way .. what did MJ do that was influential MUSICALLY ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    But musically ?
    I'd ask the other way .. what did MJ do that was influential MUSICALLY ?
    Louis Armstrong is higher on the Totem Pole for me.

Absolute agreement LT.
    Armstrong brought the club jazz to the masses.
    And is MJ better than LA when only measured MUSICALLY ?

I'm not going to get into your discussions, but apparently around 12 Jackson fans have committed suicide in the wake of his death.

Jackson Fans ‘Commit Suicide’ in Grief | Net News Daily
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Great artist, I'll never forget watching Moonwalker as a kid and listening to his music.

R.I.P MJ

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    I'm not going to get into your discussions, but apparently around 12 Jackson fans have committed suicide in the wake of his death.

Jackson Fans ‘Commit Suicide’ in Grief | Net News Daily
    Talk about living a dependent life. Too bad they never had it in them to be more. What a waste. RIP

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe.
    ^ wow, commiting suicide over a celebrity's death? PA-THE-TIC. T__T
    Buddy: 1998-2009
    Mah boi, UCP is what all true warriors strive for!
    PINGAS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche View Post
    I can think of more memorable black people that made a difference in regards to racial equality. If MJ was so passionate about the whole thing, then why in the process did he turn himself into what looks like a white woman with a crack addiction.

I'd heard of MJ numerous times when I was younger, but the first time I ever saw an actual picture of him was in 2002. Did I know or think he was a black man? No, not even close. It was my friend that had to tell me. You can bet I didn't see that one coming.

That's the equivalent to a feminist pushing for female rights in other countries around the world and getting a sex change along the way.
    So basically you're basing your entire opinion of Michael Jackson on your ignorance of most of his career? That's not something to be proud of...

Thread Information