Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas to have highest speed limit.

Texas to have highest speed limit.

taken from:
    http://www.woai.com/news/local/story...A-6C9D1056A975

Several hundred miles of Interstates 10 and 20 in west Texas will soon have the highest posted speed limits in the country, 1200 WOAI news reported today.

A measure which takes effect next month will allow Tex-DOT to raise the speed limit to 80 miles an hour on Interstate 10 between Kerr and Culverson counties, and on Interstate 20 in Ward and Culberson counties.

"Those stretches of highway are pretty isolated and pretty long, and they're actually designed for that speed of travel," State Rep Pete Gallego (D-Alpine) who wrote the new law, told 1200 WOAI news.

Gallego says he expects Tex-DOT to erect the first "SPEED LIMIT 80" signs in west Texas 'within six weeks,' and he added 'I want to be there when that happens.'

The speed limit in rural west Texas was raised to 70 miles per hour after the national 55 mile an hour speed limit was lifted in December of 1995. In 1999, the limit in west Texas and elsewhere was raised to 75 miles an hour.

"One of the fascinating things we've already learned from raising the speed limit from 70 to 75 is that the accident and fatality rate has actually gone down in those counties, because people get where they're going faster."

The 80 mile an hour limit would be the highest posted speed limit in the country. Arizona law allows speed limits of 'no more than 85 miles an hour' but no highway in Arizona has an 85 mile an hour speed limit, and a measure to raise the speed limits from 75 to 80 on rural stretches on Interstate 10 in that state died in the legislature.

Gallego concedes that raising the speed limit is not the best way to save gasoline, but he is philosophical about that.

"Driving 80 is not a mandate. You don't have to drive 80. If you think it will save gasoline, you can drive 55 through west Texas if you want to. 80 is just the maximum speed you can drive."

Gallego points out that under the ambitious 'Trans Texas Corridor' plan proposed by Governor Perry becomes reality, all of the 'Trans Texas Corridor' highways will have posted speed limits of 85 miles an hour.

why cant this happen in Australia? we have millions of kilometres you could do 130kph on!

Lucky Yanks!
    The Datto will rage again...

We have 130 kph on ALL highways.

Lol. I soo feel for you americans and your silly low speed limits. Having such a low limit for such a big country is retarded.

'trans texas corridor' 85mph limit ?

I can understand that, I'd want to get in and out of Texas as quickly as possible too
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Gaaah

Quote Originally Posted by pergarec
    We have 130 kph on ALL highways.
    We only have 110 km/h in sweden as a max.. thats like 68-69 mph

Wish they could increase to atleast 130 km/h at some long stretches, not everywhere perhaps.

110 km/h is sooo darn slow
    If it isn't a Lamborghini, it isn't a car for me !

I've heard...

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    'trans texas corridor' 85mph limit ?

I can understand that, I'd want to get in and out of Texas as quickly as possible too
    That in texas they use Dodge Viper GTS as copcars, i mean that they have a coupe of them , is that correct ?
    If it isn't a Lamborghini, it isn't a car for me !

In the Netherlands max speed on the highway is 120 km/h. But some politicians want to get rid of that and act like Germany: no speedlimit. I hope sow badly it's gonna work out
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    In the Netherlands max speed on the highway is 120 km/h. But some politicians want to get rid of that and act like Germany: no speedlimit. I hope sow badly it's gonna work out
    Probably not.

We, in Italy, have 130Km/h on highways but nobody respect....
    For firs i... that just this morning have made 160.....where limits tell 110!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schumacher
    We, in Italy, have 130Km/h on highways but nobody respect....
    For firs i... that just this morning have made 160.....where limits tell 110!!
    Too bad you can't do that in France anymore. They check your speed soooo much these days in France. Too bad because they have THE best highways in the world. And no Autobahns suck, quality wise.

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    please not.there are so many nutters on the roads here.it is just 100% dangerous. compared to our neighbouring countries, no dutchie can drive.flying all ove the highway, left/right/left again/step on it/right/brake/left/step on it again/right/left that is basically how everyone drives.like they all have to catch a train or something.play useless/dangerous.raising the limit only makes it more dangerous.

edit: we alreay drive over 200 km/h standard on a stretch near my house on the maasvlakte.even lorry's drive 160 km/h.just because its empty, and noone cares out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Metal Jacket
    Only steers and queers come from Texas and you dont look much like a steer to me so that kinda narrows it down dont it!?

we have no speed limit streches on in the Northern Territory but theyre litterally a thousand kilometres from anywhere.

130kph on freeways with 3 lanes would be nice.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda
    Lol. I soo feel for you americans and your silly low speed limits. Having such a low limit for such a big country is retarded.
    80 mph is faster than the 120 kph which is mandatory in Belgium and which apparently is now vehemently enforced including skyrocketing fines.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

you could pass any laws in texas and it wouldnt surprise anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    80 mph is faster than the 120 kph which is mandatory in Belgium and which apparently is now vehemently enforced including skyrocketing fines.
    True, but I don't do 120.

Thread Information