Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torrents help

Torrents help

Plese answer my question if anyone knows. I'm a newbie to torrents, so that's what puzzles me. AFAIK when you download a file using a torrent download manager (I'm using a uTorrent 1.7.5), other people can get files from your computer, and there are two raws which show an uploading speed and an amount uploaded. The question is what files they can get - those which were previously downloaded via torrent or just any files? If any, then how can I restrict them as I don't want some my notes etc to be public.

Kind of lame question Help please

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Plese answer my question if anyone knows. I'm a newbie to torrents, so that's what puzzles me. AFAIK when you download a file using a torrent download manager (I'm using a uTorrent 1.7.5), other people can get files from your computer, and there are two raws which show an uploading speed and an amount uploaded. The question is what files they can get - those which were previously downloaded via torrent or just any files? If any, then how can I restrict them as I don't want some my notes etc to be public.

Kind of lame question Help please
    only the previously downloaded stuff. Programme's like Kazaa (you still know it ?) can upload all files from a certain folder you specified. For torrents to do this, you need to create a new torrent file and upload it on a tracker.

I'm getting banned from torrent websites because I never 'seed'. Seeding means you download torrents and leave them in your upload folder(s) for other people to download them from your computer. I unfortunately have a monthly upload limit, and I'm not quite willing to pay $30/month because people have downloaded my stuff. I use Azureus as my torrent manager, I let people download torrents from my computer while I download them, but as soon as they are finished downloading I just delete the torrents from Azureus, thus making people unable to get them from me. So the torrents are safe in my archive folders and nobody ruins my monthly limits They can download the files you have downloaded yourself.

Selfish bastard I know.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

I gave up on torrents year ago. Slow, useless and most of the things turned out to not be what they said on the tin.

What are you using to fill the gap ?

I'm good with my eMule...
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

That would be telling

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    What are you using to fill the gap ?

I'm good with my eMule...
    Plain and simple copying of CD's friends bought. I just happen to have a lot of DJ-ing friends giving me CD's and shit. I usually get a whole bunch of promo-cd's from the larger trance labels anyway.. No need to download really. When I really want a song, I just go to beatport.com and pay the few cents for it. Probably 3 songs a month or something.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Plain and simple copying of CD's friends bought. I just happen to have a lot of DJ-ing friends giving me CD's and shit. I usually get a whole bunch of promo-cd's from the larger trance labels anyway.. No need to download really. When I really want a song, I just go to beatport.com and pay the few cents for it. Probably 3 songs a month or something.
    but what do you do for games, movies and tv shows ?

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post
    I gave up on torrents year ago. Slow, useless and most of the things turned out to not be what they said on the tin.
    Really? I guess you've been visiting the wrong sites and your router (if using one) may not be configured then. My downloads used to be slow (still are sometimes) but then I opened up a few ports specifically for torrents and forwarded those ports in utorrent and voila, speeds increased.

As for the downloads, you have to do a bit of research to see which Scene groups are reliable and ONLY download from trusted websites and groups. It's also best if you download from private sites as the torrents are nothing but top quality and even better speeds than public torrent sites.

Been using torrents for almost 5 years and nothing else is better (except UseNet but that costs you monthly).
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03 View Post
    Really? I guess you've been visiting the wrong sites and your router (if using one) may not be configured then. My downloads used to be slow (still are sometimes) but then I opened up a few ports specifically for torrents and forwarded those ports in utorrent and voila, speeds increased.

As for the downloads, you have to do a bit of research to see which Scene groups are reliable and ONLY download from trusted websites and groups. It's also best if you download from private sites as the torrents are nothing but top quality and even better speeds than public torrent sites.

Been using torrents for almost 5 years and nothing else is better (except UseNet but that costs you monthly).
    I've been using torrents since 2003, I gave up after 4 years... I agree, some work, some dont.

But now, everything is all checked beforehand, and it takes the maximum netspeed available at the time, and is just so much more reliable than torrents.

Sorry Adam, what are you useing ?
    As said already a decent torrent provider who actually MONITORS the submitted torrent files and a good torrent client is unbeatable ! Good clients let you determine how much badnwidth to permit and solve fisetdavid's issue. So I have my upload speed limited but am still seen as a good sharer in the community and hence get more/faster/better quality.
    I can get House episodes 4 hours after they've aired in the US and the 50 minute show only takes 15 minutes to apear on my computer HDTV capture in high quality DiVX or about 40 mins for the ones I want in full glorious 720p HDTV 5.1 sound. A very small number have turned up at 1080p, but not worth it yet.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I use HTTP downloads that are listed on forums, usually download off RapidShare. 100mb in 3 minutes, does me lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post
    I use HTTP downloads that are listed on forums, usually download off RapidShare. 100mb in 3 minutes, does me lovely.
    but then you are stuck for 90 minutes or so...

I am not. Reset the router after every download and the timer resets, or go buy a RapidShare account...

You have to pay to get over all the limitations of RapidShare, the router one only works if the ISP is re-assignings IPs quickly. It's not guaranteed
    AND as anyone can upload you've no real protection ...
    Decent torrent hosts also have the advantage that as soon as one person ids a file as bad then the torrent is nuked and everyone else stops d/ling the pos. Does RapidSHare premium do anything on this now ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information