Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Honda Insight

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    On the Clarkson subject I mainly agree with Wouter and Cotterik.

I'd like to see the hybrids consumption compared to my bimmer with my driving style.

Well, you're missing May. Which is a brilliant car journalist.

And now back to the V6 Alfa...
    May is much better, but Clarkson overshadowed him in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Another twist to the story is that our favorite ecomentalist has choosed a V8 Alfa as her avatar.
    blasphemy!
    That's a Maserati V8, I'm sure you knew it.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post

blasphemy!
    That's a Maserati V8, I'm sure you knew it.
    damn guigaro messing up brands.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Skip Clarkson segments, just go straight to May's.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    damn guigaro messing up brands.
    Well, maybe if it wasn't for this concept we wouldn't have got the 8C, started as a commissioned concept from Alfa using the Gransport underpinnings, and later evolved in a production Alfa based on a shortened GranTurismo.
    Talking about messed up brands by Giuggiaro, I prefer this one:

2005 Fiat Croma 8V - Images, Specifications and Information

the Croma 8ttoV, a standard Fiat Croma equipped with a transversally mounted Maserati V8.

Well, maybe if it wasn't for this concept we wouldn't have got the 8C, started as a commissioned concept from Alfa using the Gransport underpinnings, and later evolved in a production Alfa based on a shortened GranTurismo.
    Talking about messed up brands by Giuggiaro, I prefer this one:

2005 Fiat Croma 8V - Images, Specifications and Information

the Croma 8ttoV, a standard Fiat Croma equipped with a transversally mounted Maserati V8.
    I don't think this concept had much to do with the 8C, more with the substitute of the GTV.

And the Croma 8V is excellent.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I was also born in 1990 and frankly I can't quite picture myself ending up burned up at some point in my lifetime, as for my great great great grandchildren... maybe. But certainly not me.

Anyway you're probably one of those who believe the world will end in 2012 so none of this matters.

I'm off to buy an hybrid, afk
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I was also born in 1990 and frankly I can't quite picture myself ending up burned up at some point in my lifetime, as for my great great great grandchildren... maybe. But certainly not me.

Anyway you're probably one of those who believe the world will end in 2012 so none of this matters.

I'm gonna burn you over 9000 times
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I'll sic Chris on your sister if you do that.

And avatar = awesome.
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I'll sic Chris on your sister if you do that.

And avatar = awesome.
    He's had a permanent spot in one of our trees for a year now, you can see the glare of his binoculars sometimes late at night. God knows where he disappears during the day though... you won't even need to tell him to attack, he's calculating his move. Everyday.

And thank you, sir.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I don't think this concept had much to do with the 8C, more with the substitute of the GTV.

And the Croma 8V is excellent.
    I meant: the Brera Concepot was independently presented and conceived by Italdesign in 2002, while the year later Alfa Romeo commissioned to Italdesign the first concept of the 8C, which was basically the same kind of car, based on the Maserati 4200 GT/Gransport, apart from the 4WD.
    Then Alfa Romeo also asked for a production version of the Brera, as a substitute for the aging GTV.
    I like to think the 8C life started with this concept, giving Alfa the idea something could have been done using Maserati's parts.

Quote Originally Posted by cargirl1990 View Post
    yeah i know...
    im not an idiot.
    I wasn't talking to you specifically, but in general to most of the people in this thread who seem so personally offended by JC. If you don't like him, then don't read his stuff.

For probably the first time in my life I find myself actually agreeing with something Jeremy Clarkson has said. I don't mean about the way the car drives or the way it's built, I couldn't comment on that as I've never been in one. But his sentiments about cars like the Insight and Prius being made to pander to the egos of the sanctimonious and those who would wish to appear to be better than everyone else are correct IMO. And I imagine there are plenty of decent, genuinely environmentally conscious folk who get caught up by the seductive advertising. Someone I know has an Insight which he bought in the genuine belief that he was buying the best thing on the market for keeping his emissions down. He was dismayed when I told him he could have saved several thousand pounds and got himself a car which gets better economy and emissions stats. He really regrets his decision to buy the Honda.

The bottom line is, the figures for the Insight don't stack up. You can buy other 5-door hatchbacks on the market today which get better fuel economy and give off less CO2 emissions for significantly cheaper than the Insight, all without fancy gearboxes and twin motors and gimmicky dashboard displays that tell you how wonderfully 'green' and special you are as you're driving. The only reason someone would buy an Insight instead of something like a Ford Fiesta Econetic, Seat Ibiza Ecomotive or Polo Bluemotion once they know the stats is that they desperately want people to see how eco-friendly they are (even though they are actually paying a premium for the privilege of not being as eco-friendly as they could be).
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

The biggest problem with most Hybrid is that they seem good on emission figure from an end-of-pipe point of view. They achieve that by mainly being smaller and lighter with more focus on operation efficiency(aero, rolling resistence, engine tuning).(You get I think 1 or 2 MPG between something like a Lexus LS460 vs LS600h, so hybrid in itself is not exactly the game changer). But when you do a whole life-cycle analysis on carbon foot print of the Hybrid, they don't make sense at all. JC's most valid point of the article was exactly that. A local build Land Rover is probably going to be better in that respect over an imported Hybrid. All Prius in the world uses battery made from Nickel in Ontario, that got ship to China to produce battery cell, then ship to Japan to produce the pack and install into the vehicle, then ship back to US for consumer. How long you have to drive the Prius or Land Rover to make that carbon emmision to be equal? Most laymen tree hugger only see the end of pipe issue. Not the big picture. The same problem will have to be solve for a hydrogen based system to produce hydrogen with minimum carbon footprint for it to be called a solution to our problem....

BTW, Tesla=Lotus Elise with battery - suspension tuning. The people at Tesla throw the battery pack in with a new front facia and call it a day on that car....no consideration was paid at all to how the dynamic of the car changed with the heavy arse battery and motor....I still think the people over there still have yet to get the full picture of making a car....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    BTW, Tesla=Lotus Elise with battery - suspension tuning. The people at Tesla throw the battery pack in with a new front facia and call it a day on that car....no consideration was paid at all to how the dynamic of the car changed with the heavy arse battery and motor....I still think the people over there still have yet to get the full picture of making a car....
    Yeah theyve made some pretty outraegeous claims. i saw it on Supercars Exposed and the tesla guy was saying it had a 250mile/day range and 0-60 under 4 sec. it just doesnt add up
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Tesla has been a farce from the beginning.

Thread Information