Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carsguide Aussie Motoring Survey: The Results

Carsguide Aussie Motoring Survey: The Results

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Your verdict: Aussie Motoring Survey
    Jaedene Hudson
    05aug05

Flashing lights should be installed to warn drivers at school zones, according to thousands of CARSguide readers. They also call for increasing the highway speed limit to 130km/h, random drug testing for all motorists and noise limiters on car music systems.

Nearly 10,000 readers responded to the CARSguide 2005 Aussie motoring survey, which asked about driving, tolls, fines and motoring issues.

More than 85 per cent of readers say all school zones should be identified with flashing lights. Most of the hundreds of school zones on main roads across NSW do not have lights to warn motorists. These zones are identified only by signs and road markings.

The soaring cost of fuel is another hot issue. As prices skyrocket above $1.20 per litre most believe the Government should control fluctuating figures.

More than 56 per cent of readers nationwide (54 per cent in NSW) are considering buying an alternative fuel-powered car and 28 per cent would pay more for a hybrid car than a petrol car. The Toyota Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid are the only two hybrid cars available on the market. Hybrid technology is still relatively expensive to produce but Toyota manager for alternative fuel vehicles Vic Johnston says the price will fall over time. "It won't be long before you will walk into a showroom and be asked do you want a four-cylinder, six-cylinder or hybrid with that," he says.

Most people say top speed on freeways and motorways should be 130km/h. However opinions are split as to whether there should be a 50km/h speed limit on all suburban streets.

A third of readers think the blood alcohol limit should be cut to 0.02 but 86 per cent supported random drug testing for motorists. The survey reveals that women, under 18 and over 60 years of age, are most likely to feel the alcohol limit should be lowered.

Driver training is vital and 81 per cent say training should be a compulsory high school course. There are similar levels of agreement for males and females of all ages.

More than three-quarters of responses called for drivers over the age of 75 to sit a refresher test with those under 34 years of age agreeing most, but interestingly more than half of respondents over 70 agreed.

There has been a lot of publicity about 4WDs being inappropriate for city traffic with some groups wanting them banned. However, most responses did not support a 4WD ban on suburban streets.

Fines and demerit points are a worry for all motorists. About 68 per cent say double demerit points are a deterrent but doubling fines at the same time is just fundraising. And the majority view speed cameras as a revenue-raiser for the State Government.

Noisy car stereos are unpopular and 60 per cent of NSW respondents say car sound systems should have a noise limiter on them to stop them being heard outside the vehicle.

On average, people will spend $35,000 (slightly higher at $36,000 for NSW) on their next car. The top five favourite brands nationwide are Holden, Ford, Toyota, BMW and Subaru. European cars are seen to be safest. A quarter of respondents say Volvo is the safest brand with a fifth choosing Mercedes-Benz. The majority (55 per cent NSW and national) of motorists feel both luxury and safety are equally important. Just 34 per cent say safety is more important.

In NSW, 86 per cent of motorists (87 per cent national) say cars more than 10 years old should not be banned from Australian roads.
    I am the Stig

Lights at schools great idea.
    Gov's doing more on the fuel issue is never going to happen.
    130 kp/h on freeways sounds tops i sat on 120 kp/h for 1 min it felt great the road was fine bends not to tight no problem at all 130kp/h i say.
    blood alcohol limit down to 0.02? I'm biased here i had a alcoholic step father words can't discribe the 10 years with him
    Random drug testing is fine we don't need people on drugs driving on our street they can blow off at anytime with anyone.
    Re-testing i think everyone should be re-tested to learn all the new rules they keep bringing in. If they told me to come in and do a test and freshen up i would i don't care.
    Noisey car stereo's don't piss anyone off, And if they do it should only be the driver cause they must be getting a head ache in there
    And on the safest cars i think people always get trapped with this one, They always think the big overseas names offer more saftey cause they got the money the name and so on. But if holden and ford made cars with there budgets and sold calais and Fairmonts for $130,000 they would have the worlds best saftey gear in there cars.
    But $ for $ they would hold there own on saftey
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Yay for 130km/h speed limits

The long trip to geelong should have higher speed limits, the roads are ready for 120kp/h easy. I could sit @ 120kp/h @ 1850rpm

My views.. because I have nothing better to do...

Flashing lights at school zones - hell yeah, but maybe school kids need to be better educated on how to cross the road safely. On that matter, so should their parents.

Fuel costs - 38c in every litre is due to government excise, then you pay GST on top of the total price. Should be subsidised, definitely. But we do have it lucky compared with Europe.

Buying an alternative fuel car - no way!!! Not for me, anyways.

Top speed on freeways to 130kmh - yes, in parts (eg between Melb and Syd on the Hume, but maybe not on the Tulla.) That said, very few deaths occur at speeds above 100kmh as it is.

BAC to drop to .02 and drug testing - BAC is fine at .05. Drug testing is a good idea but needs work to be perfected. Someone could get dicked having drugs in their system 3 days after having taken them, sometimes longer, even though they don't suffer from the effects any more. That said, drugs are illegal so I'm a 50-50 on this one.

Driver training is vital - Obviously if people were better educated on defensive driving, there would be far less deaths on the roads. But you can't teach common sense.

Drivers over the age of 75 to sit a refresher test - Make it 60 with compulsory tests for hearing, sight and sanity every 5 years. Tests can be subsidised by speed camera revenue.

Banning 4WDs in suburbs - no, but there should be restrictions on their use, or drivers should be made to pay extra in their rego for larger 4WDs such as Landcruisers and Patrols. Maybe offer rebates to owners who genuinely take their vehicles off-road and can prove this (member of a club, perhaps?)

Speed cameras as a revenue-raiser for the State Government - Well, duh!

Noisy car stereos are unpopular - Noisy stereos are annoying but noise limiters aren't the answer as there are responsible audiophiles out there. I'd say harsher penalties for the ones playing loud music inappropriately would be the way to go.

On average, people will spend $35,000 (slightly higher at $36,000 for NSW) on their next car - but how many people actually BUY their cars? Most cars these days, especially the more expensive ones, are on leases.

86 per cent of motorists say cars more than 10 years old should not be banned from Australian roads - shouldn't be banned, but maybe cars 20-25 years and older should be made to pass regular RWC checks.

End rant...

Yeah the tulla is shit i hate driving some corners on that @ 100kp/h it's to tight, The new ring road is so much better, And the road to geelong could be open for speed, I turned to my mum and said is there a 110 down here? No she said i was shocked it's a great bit of road with massive lond straight road it's the same as it was 10 years ago it's in great condition now open the speed up baby If your doing 130kp/h your more alert cause all is faster @ 100 sometimes the mind can wonder a little it starts to feel slow and boring.

On the car age i have a 92 VP that's 13 years old in june it was built, If they looked at me in the next 3 years i would be supprised I never got the cops eye driving a 1979 VB Commodore

You have to wonder what might come of this in NSW at least with the new premier...
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    You have to wonder what might come of this in NSW at least with the new premier...
    Hopefully they revise those P plater laws. I'm in Vic and am 27 so they don't affect me, but they are bloody rediculous!

new premiers always true hard first up. To not step on the former boss toes, To make a point early, To try and get something new in to get the hole state kissing there ar ar ar ar arival

Quote Originally Posted by DrGonzo
    Make it 60 with compulsory tests for hearing, sight and sanity every 5 years
    Good thing you want the sanity test to wait till over 60, I wouldn't pass it now at under 30........

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    new premiers always true hard first up. To not step on the former boss toes, To make a point early, To try and get something new in to get the hole state kissing there ar ar ar ar arival
    Well this new guy, "morris iemma"..nobody's ever heard of so hes got more reason than that to make his mark, plus i think with replacing Bob Carr, he wants to ensure he lasts a full term in government, which means he'll want to stay Premier past the next election, which goes without saying anyway.
    I am the Stig

So some rear lip work will be in action soon

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Well this new guy, "morris iemma"..nobody's ever heard of so hes got more reason than that to make his mark, plus i think with replacing Bob Carr, he wants to ensure he lasts a full term in government, which means he'll want to stay Premier past the next election, which goes without saying anyway.
    nobody's ever heard of? don't you ever watch the news? he was a minister before this
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

well..he was going up against carl scully, so its alot like when Latham was put in charge of labour
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Lights at schools great idea.
    We had flashing lights in South Australia since I was a kid. They removed them about 5 years back for some trumped upreason. It would have really been about cost cutting. Now we have to do 25kmh outside of school zones only when a childis present. This means on a weekend, even a 11.00pm the police can book you even if you cant see the kid. They rationalise this away by saying, well just do 25kmh anyway if you not sure.
    Not too confusing really.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Thread Information