Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with School...

Help with School...

I'm not sure I should post this but honestly I have no idea where to seek help, and I thought maybe you guys could help me.

I'm considering dropping school. Yes, really. I'm supposed to be at school right now. But... I didn't go. I'm considering dropping school after not even two complete weeks.

I'm currently doing subjects I couldn't do at high school, having failed maths in 4th year (high school is 5 years long here). I had to re-do my 4th year maths in 5th year, and failing meant I couldn't take physics and chemistry in 5th year either. I'm now doing them and 5th year maths. I wanted to go in 3D programming, video games and stuff. Then I realized maths are way too hard in this program, and I wouldn't make it considering even working very hard I struggle to pass maths. I'm not interested anymore anyway. I had to take the courses I'm currently doing to go there, but now that I changed my mind... I'm doing them for nothing.

I told my parents I wanted to drop school and wait until next year (autumn 2008) to start Administration, the sole program that tempts me. They didn't ask why I wasn't happy at school, they didn't ask why I wanted to drop school... they just said "We paid, you go". I have three choices: Continue school even though I don't like it and it's completely useless (according to me anyway), drop school and find a job, work a lot and save up money, or drop school and do nothing all day long here. Unfortunately the third option is my favorite. Maybe my parents are right when they tell me (on a regular basis) that I'm a total failure.

5th year maths are needed to go in a lot of programs. If I decide to go in Administration and don't like it, I'm probably screwed. I gotta hope I'll like it...

Sorry to bother you all with this. I just want to know what you guys would do, because right now I don't know, and my parents don't want to help.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

It's no bother and if it's troubling you this much then it's obviously worth talking about.

I've always been a big believer that an education can open a lot more doorways than dropping out will ever do. Whatever you do, don't drop out unless you have a steady job that can go places to fall into - otherwise it's just a waste of time and effort.

While I understand Maths is a boring, boring subject if there is something else you enjoy (writing, english/french, art, something) try focusing your attention on that. I was very lucky that I had parents that managed to talk me out of a very similar situation when i was in Year 10 (School goes to Yr 12 here in Australia) where because i was hideously failing maths I was seriously considering leaving high school and trying a Vocational subject.

On that note - have you thought about a trade? if something like Plumbing, Electrical work et al interest you there is always work available and the money is supposed to be pretty good. you don't need an education but you will have to work hard for your money.

Don't let a bad course choice ruin your chances for a future - if you don't want to program any more what's stopping you from writing code or even becoming a games tester?

but above all else, make sure you have somewhere to go before you jump - otherwise the landing will be brutal.

I hope i've been some help.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

If you have contacts then dropping school could be considered a wise option. I left school in my fourth year and got involved in the oil business thanks to one of my dad's mates, and i have gone pretty far from it, considering my financial state. I also feel i have all the knowledge i will ever need from those four years so... so i suppose i was kinda lucky but with all respect, get yourself out in the big bad world of employment and i hope everything goes well for you. As a last resort, you could always go back to school.
    May the downforce be with you

Personally, I would reevaluate my options and work hard at achieving something in school. Going straight into the workforce without a plan is not fun. I know, because I did it.

I couldn't get the right combination of courses that I wanted for my final 2 years of school. The only way to fix the problem would have been to quickly change schools - something I didn't want to do. My lack of quick action was a mistake. After many weeks into my second last year of school I realized I hated what I was doing, so I finished the term and left school for the rest of the year - so I could change schools and get what I wanted the next year. Similarly to you, my parents were paying a lot of money for private education. My parents had already paid for the next few months of fees, so as a result of me leaving, about $2000 in fees went wasted. My parent didn't care - they were looking forward to seeing me miserable in the workforce. It's only until you start working full time do you realize how good school was, and how much further you can go with an education.

So my advice to you would obviously be to stick with your education. Leaving school behind and gambling on success in the workforce without an education to back you up could have unpleasant consequences.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

First of all, never drop out of school without even having an extremely good back-up plan. And to be honest, I don't think you have one right now.

I suffered a similar problem in my 4th year. I had a lot of economics for my feeling because I hated it. But then I realised, from all the subjects I had, only 1/8 part of it was economics. Instead of focussing on the subjects I hated or found difficult, I focused myself on the cool subjects like English, History and German.

Just think of this. Say you'll do everything to get the math. It will be hard, on not always interesting. But I'm sure that when the day comes you get the news that you passed on math, your parents will be the two most proudest people on earth. Not to mention the feeling you get out of it for yourself.

School isn't always fun, neither is dropping out of school and do shitty jobs for a year. And doing nothing and hang around at home all day is even worse. If you ask me, I would go for your first option. Work your ass off, try to get math and be very proud of yourself at the end of the year when you pass. Because I'm sure that with a little effort, you can do it.

[/turnoffDr.Philmode]
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Definately dont drop out of school. Im in year 11 now and so many of my friends dropped out at the end of year 10 and some before and many are not doing so well. I agree with IBrake4Rainbows in saying if you want to drop out of schol make sure you can get a steady job, or get a trade, otherwise stay in school until you do find a trade or a steady job, you may find that you get to like maths and stay on until you finish, but whatever yu do dont drop out unless you have a job or trade.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

As you might know, i graduated high school (similar stuff in Dutch then) a bit more than a year ago. Multiple of my friends didn't.

Most of them thought about the same as you did, but every single one of them regrets it. ALL of them. I have definately hated school too and barely made it from 4th to 5th year. Then I barely passed to 6th year, to end that 6th year with the best grades in class on the Beta-subjects !

I have thought about quitting school too quite some times. But you know what made me keep going ? The thought of that diploma and the tought that i would be cutting 50.000 cucumbers a day for years (like my friend) put me off of that.

Say you work on a big project for your boss. You don't like the project, but otherwise you will be fired. You have to put your teeth together to finish it, you have to bite yourself into it and get over it as quick and good as possible.
    The same goes for school. It is a neccesary evil.

I can understand you have lost your motivation because of that. However if you do everything you can and work your arse off I can promise you, you will have a real feeling of accomplishment when you make it. Atleast I had.

So the best thing to do is focus on the job ahead, dont think of failure and remain confident in yourself, and work your arse off ! If neccesary let all the fun stuff go. You can do it man !

Never ever leave school without diploma, whichever is the cause of that ! Get that paper as it is very important for your entire life !

Good luck man !
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-30-2007 at 05:42 AM.

I think Drakkie summed it up pretty well. But just to reinforce... If you drop out, you will be unskilled labor and have a good chance that you'll end up working at McDonalds in 20 years time. I don't blame you for not having a plan at your age, but if you don't have one, please follow the usual trail, it's there for a reason. Living in Canada you'll have the option of becoming a trades man and still earn good money (an option that we don't have here 'cause money there is insignificant), but it will be hard and you'll work your ass off.

About math, I hated it at school... To top it off I had this teacher that would do this really quick quizes and generally be an ass. As years went by, at a school friends meeting we all agreed he was the best teacher we had. And that's because he really pushed us to give the best we could. Hmm, yes the math... Currently I work in finance and I use Excel anything from 4 to 8 hours a day, and I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

So basically, don't quit, what you fight for is what you treasure, and what you like now will not be what you want and need in a few years time.
    Zag when they Zig

Many interesting and really helpful advice there. I'm going to suggest you read them very carefully.

I'd say only one thing, whatever you do forget about the "nothing" option. That's not a wise option.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thanks everyone. I carefully read your suggestions, several times each. I did some thinking today, a lot in fact, and I think I made up my mind.

I'm going to continue at school. However, I dropped two subjects, physical education and career management. They were not important, and that's six hours less on my schedule, down to 19 hours a week. All I have left is maths, physics, English literature and French literature. I can focus on subjects I like and 19 hours/week isn't much, so I have plenty of time to work and to enjoy life. My current program will end on December 10, and is supposed to resume on January 20. I won't be there. That's the second part of my plan. What I was supposed to do during to winter session (January-May) was mostly basic subjects and chemistry. Now that I know I won't need chemistry, and the other basic subjects will be there next year, I thought I could work instead of losing my time at school. I'm gonna save up for a new car. A decent one this time. In short, I finish my current session, the one that matters, and will work, hopefully full time, until I can start my Administration program on August 20, 2008, perhaps with a shiny new car. By new I mean used obviously

As you can see, I took the two main advices I received in this thread, putting my efforts on school first, then on work.

Again, thanks everyone. You're suggestions have been incredibly helpful, I really appreciated them. It's nice to know UCP is filled with very helpful persons.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

After I completed highschool I didn't know which path to take. I was thinking about going to an automotive school or going to a university to take courses to become a teacher. I went with the university path and found it wasn't the thing for me, and the automotive school wasn't for me either. So I got a job in a field I enjoy(auto body) and have been working as a tech for a few months now. Life is a lot different now, some days I wish I didn't drop out, some days I'm glad I did. Hopefully someday down the line I'll know if I made the right decision or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I'm not sure I should post this but honestly I have no idea where to seek help, and I thought maybe you guys could help me.

I'm considering dropping school. Yes, really. I'm supposed to be at school right now. But... I didn't go. I'm considering dropping school after not even two complete weeks.

I'm currently doing subjects I couldn't do at high school, having failed maths in 4th year (high school is 5 years long here). I had to re-do my 4th year maths in 5th year, and failing meant I couldn't take physics and chemistry in 5th year either. I'm now doing them and 5th year maths. I wanted to go in 3D programming, video games and stuff. Then I realized maths are way too hard in this program, and I wouldn't make it considering even working very hard I struggle to pass maths. I'm not interested anymore anyway. I had to take the courses I'm currently doing to go there, but now that I changed my mind... I'm doing them for nothing.

I told my parents I wanted to drop school and wait until next year (autumn 2008) to start Administration, the sole program that tempts me. They didn't ask why I wasn't happy at school, they didn't ask why I wanted to drop school... they just said "We paid, you go". I have three choices: Continue school even though I don't like it and it's completely useless (according to me anyway), drop school and find a job, work a lot and save up money, or drop school and do nothing all day long here. Unfortunately the third option is my favorite. Maybe my parents are right when they tell me (on a regular basis) that I'm a total failure.

5th year maths are needed to go in a lot of programs. If I decide to go in Administration and don't like it, I'm probably screwed. I gotta hope I'll like it...

Sorry to bother you all with this. I just want to know what you guys would do, because right now I don't know, and my parents don't want to help.
    I been there mate, I had some bad things happen and just lost interest and went a touch off the rails, I didn't want to do a thing i just wanted to give up and be left alone hatted it school the kids the teachers they all were treating me like shit i just wanted to stay at home get a job and be happier.
    But today i really regret not going on more in school i wish i had my time over again but unfortanltly i cant so i do have regrets about not going further.

Today i still struggle with things i couldn't do at school, I can ad but mathematics I'm so shit it's not funny i really couldn't learn, But in time i learnt how to ad numbers which was my way of timetables etc, I was very good at school i tried and failed many times but i wish things were different cause i'd love to do it all again and win.

Funny thing is even if i went all the way through school today i would be still sitting here with the same job because sometimes life around you doesn't change no matter how much you think about future and past you seem to always end in the same spot in the end.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
    Personally, I would reevaluate my options and work hard at achieving something in school. Going straight into the workforce without a plan is not fun.
    It's suicidal, to be frank. Keep in mind that you bring into play what your whole life will be. Anyway, I'm glad to see that you made the right choice, David.

All that we can ask of ourselves is to be happy. If this path makes you happy, go for it.

good to see you've made an intelligent call with one eye on the future
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Not to judge your parents or anything, but they're complete c*nts for calling you a failure. Kids need role models, not critics. So they're making a huge mistake right there. I say be strong and stick it out in school, because no matter how bad you hate it, one day you will look back and be thankful you finished. The options afterwards are just so much more vast. We all hated school, and we surely all thought about just rolling over and giving up. Think of it this way though, you only have to do it for a limited amount of time in your life, and then you choose what you do. Until then, just give it all you got and make a point not just to your parents, but everyone else that you're not a failure. When it all comes down to it, you're doing it for you and not anyone else though.

Thread Information