Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP Delivered

I would like to thank nota for unnecessary sarcasm, and Matra for caring about a pointless argument, thus spoiling what should have been a great thread about a great car.

I'm disappointed at your comment, nota. You should know better. Fleet is right, his solenoid was possibly very old. How is that unreliable? He changed one part and it's all good now. It's not like the car's failing to start all the time. It failed once. With an old part.

And Matra, you are telling Fleet to drop the argument but you are adding more to it immediately afterwards.

Jesus Christ.

Congrats anyway Fleet, that's one lovely car. Hope you'll enjoy it.
    Last edited by fisetdavid26; 07-02-2009 at 06:02 PM.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Very cool car. Yes, I do love old cars too. Enjoy!

Congratulations on a pretty unique and special ride, Fleet.

Fiset: I happen to think for the most part the claims were accurate. Nota runs an '84 Merc so he'd be in the know
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    I would like to thank nota for unnecessary sarcasm, and Matra for caring about a pointless argument, thus spoiling what should have been a great thread about a great car.

I'm disappointed at your comment, nota. You should know better. Fleet is right, his solenoid was possibly very old. How is that unreliable? He changed one part and it's all good now. It's not like the car's failing to start all the time. It failed once. With an old part.

And Matra, you are telling Fleet to drop the argument but you are adding more to it immediately afterwards.

Jesus Christ.

Congrats anyway Fleet, that's one lovely car. Hope you'll enjoy it.
    Thanks, fisetdavid. It should be fun to drive. And just in time for summer!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Thanks, fisetdavid. It should be fun to drive. And just in time for summer!
    Speaking of which, How are the A/C and other electrical amenities working?
    What other sorts of luxuries does this car have? I can't really tell from the pictures.
    Also, why does a '66 have rear rubber bumper extensions, I thought that stuff waited until the '70s to come along.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I would like to thank nota for unecessary sarcasm, and Matra for caring about a pointless argument, thus spoiling what should have been a great thread about a great car.

I'm disappointed at your coment, nota. You should know better.
    Those who want to be led into Fleet Fantasy Land are more than welcome to put me on 'iggy'

They can then enjoy feasts of fantasy-facts with $500 solenoids and 'seems to be reliable' despite it breaking down inside a week - or was it a day - or 11 hours - or from the onset, as it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet
    But a one-time thing, like a starter solenoid (which could be replaced in about 15 minutes) hardly makes a car unreliable. And who knows how old that starter solenoid was? Probably 20 years or so.
    Fleet is right, his solenoid was possibly very old. How is that unreliable?
    Well tell me David, how is that not reliable?

How many 'one-time things' comprise a car and compromise reliablity? Not this one, obviously. Should solenoids be exluded from evaluations of such, and from comment, even if they cost $500??

Jesus Christ.
    As for me, I'm with Matra on this and believe he did good service to these pages - fact not fantasy, don't suffer fools gladly, stay in the real - which, as previous experience has shown time and again, is a concept often disregarded by the OP

Let's just say that, in general, parts for a '60s Plymouth or similar American car, cost a lot less than parts for a '90s or later Mercedes. Not going by ebay but by what shops and auto part stores charge.

Well, duh (in the United States, at least). In other news, the sky is blue.

But snarky comments aside, that looks like one awesome car - they don't make them like they use to anymore. Just make sure it doesn't start killing people.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Do you mean Egg-Not test? I can do that, no problem.
    Nah, I think we can all trust you on that one! Sorry I meant a Fiset test...its hard to keep track

example : http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...-spitfire.html

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Nah, I think we can all trust you on that one! Sorry I meant a Fiset test...its hard to keep track

example : http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...-spitfire.html
    That's true. You can trust me. Besides, I forgot to Egg-Nog it today anyway!

As for the Fiset test, I'll do that once I am more familiar with it.

But a youtube video (starting the engine, idling and a few revs) is coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Well tell me David, how is that not reliable?

How many 'one-time things' comprise a car and compromise reliablity? Not this one, obviously. Should solenoids be exluded from evaluations of such, and from comment, even if they cost $500??
    Oh, I get it... so any car that has had a minor part replaced, like a starter solenoid, fuel or water pump, master cylinder, fuel filter, etc is "not reliable."
    Must be a lot of "non-reliable" cars out there, too (including Mercedes).

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Really awesome and very classy. Looks like a great car to just cruise around in. Congratulations.

I love the attention to detail in old cars, like the faux wood strip in the chrome side trim, the fancy looking steering wheel center (I don't even know what it's made of, but I like it), and all the chrome knobs. I'd take the chrome (or at least chrome-ish) knobs in my Cougar over the plastic buttons in a Civic any day. They just feel so much more satisfying to use.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Speaking of which, How are the A/C and other electrical amenities working?
    What other sorts of luxuries does this car have? I can't really tell from the pictures.
    Also, why does a '66 have rear rubber bumper extensions, I thought that stuff waited until the '70s to come along.
    It has working A/C and power windows. Also vent windows and inside vents near the floor above the dash.

Other features include rear reading lights (individually operated or can be turned on by a toggle switch under the dash or by opening a door), a knob under the dash for radio balance (2 speakers in back and one in front), another knob under the dash which operates the rear defroster (still works!).

According to the catalog, front & rear rubber bumper guards were an option. Mine has the rear but not the front ones. Don't know why that is.

I was looking under the front end and noticed it has an anti-sway bar. I didn't think the Fury came with those but I am glad it has that.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    Really awesome and very classy. Looks like a great car to just cruise around in. Congratulations.

I love the attention to detail in old cars, like the faux wood strip in the chrome side trim, the fancy looking steering wheel center (I don't even know what it's made of, but I like it), and all the chrome knobs. I'd take the chrome (or at least chrome-ish) knobs in my Cougar over the plastic buttons in a Civic any day. They just feel so much more satisfying to use.
    Yeah, it will be a fun cruising car.

I like the attention to detail, too. I'll take chrome over plastic anyday, also.

Here is a quick video I did. Starting the engine, idling and a few revs:
    (Turn up the volume!)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-9rqXbMpw"]YouTube - 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP[/ame]

Congrats, the colour really compliments it. I like the styling; nice and clean and it looks great. The interior is well kept just like the rest of it going by the pictures.

Plastic is a b*tch I hate the stuff, all through my car things that are made of plastic are mis-shapen and crumbling due to 26years of sun.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    Congrats, the colour really compliments it. I like the styling; nice and clean and it looks great. The interior is well kept just like the rest of it going by the pictures.

Plastic is a b*tch I hate the stuff, all through my car things that are made of plastic are mis-shapen and crumbling due to 26years of sun.
    With this color, it won't show the dirt as easily as black or white do. But it will be garage-kept in a few weeks so that doesn't really matter.

Yeah, metal does tend to hold up better than plastic!

Thread Information