Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP Delivered

I'm very jealous of the chrome in your car. The only bits still working in my car are probably made of metal. The problem with the variant of Falcon I have is that everything was made so cheaply - the door handles and the locks are hopeless and I've had nothing but problems with them. Same goes for the door panels, just flimsy and crap, but the serious problem is that when it rains because the seals on the windows have crumbled (in some parts), the water runs down into the door, creating a major rust problem. How illogical some parts of the car are never ceases to amaze me.

[/end hijack]

PS: Sounds Beautiful
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    I'm very jealous of the chrome in your car. The only bits still working in my car are probably made of metal. The problem with the variant of Falcon I have is that everything was made so cheaply - the door handles and the locks are hopeless and I've had nothing but problems with them. Same goes for the door panels, just flimsy and crap, but the serious problem is that when it rains because the seals on the windows have crumbled (in some parts), the water runs down into the door, creating a major rust problem. How illogical some parts of the car are never ceases to amaze me.

[/end hijack]
    And just think, '50s cars had even more chrome than '60s cars!

PS: Sounds Beautiful
    Thanks. I think it does. It sounds a little more "muscular" than I figured it would, considering it is a stock, unmodified engine.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    And just think, '50s cars had even more chrome than '60s cars!

Thanks. I think it does. It sounds a little more "muscular" than I figured it would, considering it is a stock, unmodified engine.
    People had some brilliant taste back then obviously.

Had to turn the sound (along with the bass) right up to fully appreciate the noise. Come to think of it is there much information floating around on this model?
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    People had some brilliant taste back then obviously.
    That is true. In some decades, taste wasn't exactly to be envied... look what happened in the mid-to-late '70s!

Had to turn the sound (along with the bass) right up to fully appreciate the noise. Come to think of it is there much information floating around on this modelz.
    Type in 1966 Plymouth Fury on a search engine and there is quite a bit of information. And a nice '66 Sport Fury website.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Fiset: I happen to think for the most part the claims were accurate. Nota runs an '84 Merc so he'd be in the know
    It doesn't matter if it's accurate or not, it was completely useless to hijack the thread with that debate. I'm guessing Fleet said "$500 for a Mercedes solenoid" as an hyperbole just to say that in general Plymouth parts are cheaper than Mercedes', which they are. END OF DEBATE. If was just an example for Christ's sakes, not a fact carved in the Holy Stone of Truthness.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Well tell me David, how is that not reliable?

How many 'one-time things' comprise a car and compromise reliablity? Not this one, obviously. Should solenoids be exluded from evaluations of such, and from comment, even if they cost $500??
    Tell me then, I had to replace the battery in my old '92 Camry since it was producing 0.25 volts and as you would imagine, the car wouldn't start. Would you say my Camry was unreliable because one easy-to-change part failed to make it start once?

It had 320k kays on the clock, and looking at the service history never needed more than oil changes, a new timing belt and an AC pump. And the aforementioned battery when I got it.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's accurate or not, it was completely useless to hijack the thread with that debate. I'm guessing Fleet said "$500 for a Mercedes solenoid" as an hyperbole just to say that in general Plymouth parts are cheaper than Mercedes', which they are. END OF DEBATE. If was just an example for Christ's sakes, not a fact carved in the Holy Stone of Truthness.
    Oh come on, hasn't our Super Moderator recognised the OP's "$500 Mercedes" slur for what it is, an enticement to involve. It invites continuance of involvement towards his 'Cadillac vs Mercedes 280' then the 'Crapillac vs Mercedes 6.3' and finally climaxing into 'Crudillac vs Mercedes 600' obsession. There's been several similar M-B BS tempters since then, they are included For A Purpose and directed to one (M-B owning) member. This represents merely the latest version of the same old BS - the only diference is now its Plymouth vs M-B, ffs!

Posted as bait, pure & simple, because he WANTS to engage! Witness the OP quoting my first post THREE times in rapid response. 'Keen' is the word, can't wait to get into it! I've largely resisted these 'fishing expeditions' in the interim but this time chose to oblige the cretin, through simple exposure of falsehood.

Don't blame me for responding in kind, albeit through bothering to introduce fact into the fantasies.
    Tell me then, I had to replace the battery in my old '92 Camry since it was producing 0.25 volts and as you would imagine, the car wouldn't start. Would you say my Camry was unreliable because one easy-to-change part failed to make it start once?
    I would deem you a fool if you'd owned your car for less than week, and it clapped out the first time you tried to start it, and then you called it 'reliable'
    It had 320k kays on the clock, and looking at the service history never needed more than oil changes, a new timing belt and an AC pump. And the aforementioned battery when I got it.
    You're confusing reliability (start, run & drive) with upkeep (repair & maintenance).
    in general Plymouth parts are cheaper than Mercedes', which they are. END OF DEBATE.
    Oh really?

Not in Oz they aren't, nor in the UK, or Europe. And IN FACT the price he ended up paying in the US for that US-made Plymouth part was more expensive than the US price for the similar imported Benz part, which I found inside 5 minutes, from the other side of the world!

The thread was not hijacked, but it certainly was trolled by OP. Nice.

I agree that it was bait.

Especially if it's been proven factually incorrect & required several shifts in position and more definitions by Fleet And Nota.

It's a bit of a moot point but someone was wrong on the internet, and we can't have that now, can we.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    The thread was not hijacked, but it certainly was trolled by OP. Nice.

I agree that it was bait.

Especially if it's been proven factually incorrect & required several shifts in position and more definitions by Fleet And Nota.

It's a bit of a moot point but someone was wrong on the internet, and we can't have that now, can we.
    According to what I have read about the Internet and message boards and forums, a person is not able to troll his own thread!

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Not in Oz they aren't, nor in the UK, or Europe. And IN FACT the price he ended up paying in the US for that US-made Plymouth part was more expensive than the US price for the similar imported Benz part, which I found inside 5 minutes, from the other side of the world!
    You were comparing the price on ebay VS my price which was from an auto shop. As everyone knows, auto shops have a mark-up price on parts.

I showed you that the price of a Mopar starter solenoid, on ebay to make the comparison fair, was about one-half and even less than that of the price you posted.

And when I said the part cost a lot less for a Mopar than a Mercedes, I of course meant in the U.S. You are going wildly off-topic when you bring in Australia, the UK and Europe. So just give it a rest. If I owned a Mercedes and took it to the same shop, that same part would have cost a lot more than $47. In fact, I think I will call the shop and get a price for a solenoid for a Mercedes; maybe that will satisfy you!

In fact, I think I will call the shop and get a price for a solenoid for a Mercedes; maybe that will satisfy you!
    Pleasd don't. We know what you're like Fleet, don't ruin a good relationship with your local shop !
    Drop this and has been advised NUMEROUS TIMES get back to YOUR CAR and not hyperbole on prices.

It's sounding a bit "tappetty" FLeet, are you planning a strip down and rebuidl the top end and tune up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    It's sounding a bit "tappetty" FLeet, are you planning a strip down and rebuidl the top end and tune up ?
    The owner said it has a lifter tick which disappears once the revs go up. It doesn't affect the performance.

Before I bid I did research lifter tick and usually it's not big problem. The valve covers are easy to remove on this car and I plan on painting those covers anyway so I will see if I can do some adjustments.

I will rebuild the top end only if necessary and it probably won't be, especially since it won't be a daily driver... more like 1-3 times per week.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Pleasd don't. We know what you're like Fleet, don't ruin a good relationship with your local shop !
    Drop this and has been advised NUMEROUS TIMES get back to YOUR CAR and not hyperbole on prices.
    Too late... I was so curious I did call! I talked to the owner who once was a mechanic/technician at the same shop. He did say that parts do cost more for Mercedes. No big surprise, really. I've known that for 30 years! (Remember, out here in the U.S., a different story in Europe Australia.)

I have a good relationship with that shop because the owner has a '72 Chevelle wagon with a built 400-cu-in small block Chevy engine.

I will rebuild the top end only if necessary and it probably won't be, especially since it won't be a daily driver... more like 1-3 times per week.
    3 times per week is not a daily driver... but almost.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

(Turn up the volume!)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-9rqXbMpw"]YouTube - 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP[/ame][/QUOTE]

Yes there's that unmistakable rattle on initial start-up, but afterwards when the camera is shifted to the rear, to right underneath the exhaust pipes under the rear bumper, and yet we can still clearly hear those tappets banging away, from far in the distance towards the front of the car .... even 1,000's of miles away

Thread Information