Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancia Thema 2011-2014

Lancia Thema 2011-2014

New Thema, the first global flagship

Lancia new Thema debuts at Geneva, writing a new chapter in the legendary story of the brand. The first global flagship that combines the best of two worlds, the new rear-drive vehicle was created based on the Chrysler 300 and is ready, like the first Thema back in 1984, to take on the toughest, but also the most prestigious segment, striving to offer, at long last, a genuine alternative. To achieve this objective, the new Thema combines size, comfort and impressive road presence, typically American characteristics, with the luxury of Poltrona Frau® leather interiors, the cocooning silence of large Lancias and the attention to detail that all express the best of Italian design.

On sale from October in all European dealerships, Lancia new Thema is available in two trim levels - Gold and Platinum - and three engine versions: the 292 HP 3.6L V6 petrol engine with 8-speed automatic gearbox and the 190 HP or 224 HP 3.0L V6 diesel engines, both with 5-speed automatic gearbox.

Style

Measuring 5084 mm long, 1507 mm high, 1891 wide and with a wheelbase of 3051 mm, the new Thema stands out in the luxury saloon category thanks to its contemporary, distinctive style. On the front end, the grille brings together the Lancia logo and the horizontal bars expressing precision and formal rigour, in a single design. The chrome-plated finish of the bars and the outline of the logo create a particular contrast inside the frame, which is also chrome-plated. The whole look is enhanced by two innovative headlights with LED technology and the DRL function, which together form a “C” shape for unmistakable and impressive road presence.

The profile of the new Lancia flagship highlights the distinctive proportions of its predecessor, with the addition of luxury finishings which lend a stylish appearance. The sturdy front end joins with the lines of the roof, blending with the three-quarters of the back characterised by the unmistakable rear light clusters that complete the silhouette. What's more, the angle of the windscreen guarantees an aerodynamic effect and the slim pillars enable the driver to benefit from excellent visibility.

Rounding off the car's outstanding finishing, the rear end features a built-in spoiler with the Lancia logo sitting proudly below. Capable of lighting up the darkest night, the two harmoniously designed LED tail lights are linked by a chrome-plated fascia which underlines the class of the new flagship. The muscular front is echoed by two chrome-plated exhaust tail pipes which offer a stylistic reminder of the performance of the engines in the range.

Luxury and comfort

new Thema combines segment-leading standards with the unmistakable comfort and luxury that has always set Lancia cars apart. The interiors reveal a unique style and offer passengers excellent comfort, with soft touch materials, luxury interior trims with the option of heated seats in Nappa leather and a Poltrona Frau® leather-clad dashboard, as well as real wood inserts on the centre console, panels, doors and steering wheel. In addition, the dashboard has a three-dimensional effect, enhanced by discreet chrome finishing and by a dashboard with innovative double cluster design featuring Sapphire Blue lighting, a colour also used for the passenger compartment LED lighting. Moreover, in order to guarantee “best-in-class” comfort, the seats have been designed with new architecture which includes serpentine spring suspension (S-shaped). The front seats offer four-way lumbar adjustment with up/down and front/back direction actuators and density adjuster.

Maximising the innovative, ultra-rigid structural design, the Lancia new Thema unveils a best-in-class noise level inside the passenger compartment. The presence of two underbody panels in a composite material, a laminated windshield and windows, noise absorbing panels in the passenger compartment and in the cavities of the wheel arches all ensure excellent absorption of road noise and a significant improvement in on-board comfort.
    Lastly, numerous components have been specially designed for the chassis of the new Thema with a view to guaranteeing the best driving and handling dynamics for all kinds of road surfaces and climate conditions. In particular, the innovative multi-link front and rear suspension system features a wishbone layout which, thanks to its high flexibility, keeps the wheels perpendicular to the road when cornering, ensuring maximum grip. The shock absorber has also been specifically designed to absorb every stress produced by a less than perfect road surface. The final result is an extremely quiet passenger compartment with virtually no external noise, with the motion of the car as it travels along the road barely perceptible.

Engines

Designed to deliver outstanding efficiency about town and on longer journeys, the Lancia new Thema offers a choice of three different 6-cylinder engines, all with automatic transmission and rear wheel drive: the advanced 292 HP 3.6L V6 petrol engine with 8-speed automatic gearbox and the 190 HP or 224 HP 3.0L V6 diesel engines, both with 5-speed automatic gearbox.
    The petrol engine is a Pentastar V6 by Chrysler Group featuring the latest technology – in compliance with Euro 5 legislation – which enables the six cylinders to deliver 292 HP at 6400 rpm and maximum torque of 353 Nm at 4800 rpm with CO2 emissions of 199 g/km (combined cycle consumption: 8.3l/100km). This equipment level allows the new Thema to achieve a top speed of 230 km/h and acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.2 seconds: this result is also partly thanks to the new 8-speed gearbox.

The two Euro 5 diesel engines, supplied by the Italian manufacturer VM – leader in high-performance diesel power units – deliver 190 HP and 224 HP respectively and come with a 5-speed automatic gearbox. Specifically, the 224 HP version boasts a maximum torque of 550 Nm at 1600–2800 rpm.

On-board technology

Lancia new Thema presents the innovative Uconnect® infotelematic system plus new on-board technology designed to keep passengers connected, safe and completely comfortable. From the touchscreen satellite navigation system and dual-zone climate control to the option of customising on-board functions, the Uconnect® Touch system guarantees an outstanding experience for driver and passengers alike. Fitted as standard on the new flagship, the system features a large 8.4 inch touchscreen with easy-to-use controls, and allows users to connect and manage their peripheral devices (mobile phones or MP3 players). Furthermore, on the Platinum trim level, Lancia Thema offers the exclusive Garmin satellite navigation system as standard which includes TMC Premium services, plus a premium audio system with 9 speakers and subwoofer for a total of 506W amplification.

Active and passive safety

Lancia new Thema offers more than 70 advanced active and passive safety features, including the Keyless Enter-N-Go and the electronic stability system (ESC) fitted as standard with the exclusive Ready Alert Braking and Rain Brake Support devices, designed to further enhance the handling and road performance of the car, plus Active Pedestrian Protection to safeguard pedestrians in the event of accidental impact. To ensure maximum visibility at night and in all poor light conditions, Lancia Thema offers Xenon Smartbeam™ self-adaptive headlights as standard.

Also available on request are a number of innovative, distinctive features which make the new Lancia model the true benchmark for the category.

Adaptive Speed Control (ACC) and Forward Collision Warning (FCS)

The limitations of traditional cruise control systems are overcome by Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). When the vehicle reaches another slower vehicle travelling in front, the ACC system adjusts the speed and (if necessary) activates braking to maintain a safe distance in the way pre-selected by the driver, allowing the latter to avoid frequent manual intervention. This equates to a far more relaxing, comfortable driving experience for the driver. This feeling of safety and wellbeing on board is further enhanced by Forward Collision Warning (FCS), the supplementary function which alerts the driver in the event of a potential collision. Lastly, the Adaptive Cruise Control system is optimised to prevent the undesirable consequences of high fuel consumption.

Blind Spot Detection

A visual indicator on the door mirror signals entry into the blind spot, namely the dangerous situation of having a car travelling alongside which is not visible in the door mirror. When the indicator is used to signal an intended lane change, a visual and audible alarm alerts the driver to check the position of vehicles around him very carefully before manoeuvring.

Cross Path Detection

The system prevents the risk of collisions at low speeds: a number of sensors detect the presence of moving vehicles while the driver is reversing.

Parkview(Tm) Rear Back-Up Camera

When reverse gear is engaged, a camera is automatically activated, showing the view of the road on an 8.4 inch screen built into the dashboard. This function ensures maximum safety for the driver, other vehicles and, above all, pedestrians.

Smartbeam™ and Hid Headlamps

Intelligent xenon headlights which automatically adjust in height and depth in order to guarantee maximum visibility, through a sensor that detects surrounding traffic/lighting conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 04-30-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    New Thema, the first global flagship

Lancia new Thema debuts at Geneva, writing a new chapter in the legendary story of the brand. The first global flagship that combines the best of two worlds, the new rear-drive vehicle was created based on the Chrysler 300 and is ready, like the first Thema back in 1984, to take on the toughest, but also the most prestigious segment, striving to offer, at long last, a genuine alternative. To achieve this objective, the new Thema combines size, comfort and impressive road presence, typically American characteristics, with the luxury of Poltrona Frau® leather interiors, the cocooning silence of large Lancias and the attention to detail that all express the best of Italian design.
    Some poor copy writer worked awfully hard to polish this turd.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

This Lancia Thema just makes me want to cry !

I do like the new Chrysler 300, it has muscle and attitude. It ticks all the right boxes for me.
    But selling this kind of car as a Lancia, that doesn't work. Maybe I'm getting old, but I did understand the move Jaguar made when they left the old design, and came up with the new XF and XJ.

The previous Thema was a really nice car. It had style and flair, like you would expect form a Italian car maker. But people in upper market wanted German engineering, hightech. Or maybe something fast, like a German car, or a Jaguar.

Lancia never played a big role here in the Netherlands, and I think it wasn't different in the rest of Europe, apart from Italy itself.
    The smaller cars did sell better.

I wouldnt want to be in the shoes of the "Head" of Lancia.
    Do hope this Lancia 300 does well, but i see some big dark clouds for them.

The 300c is a great car because it implies integrity, hardworking honesty and is a little bit dangerous.

There is nothing honest about this version. It's genuinely distressing.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Lancia was already dead. But now it's buried six feet under. A Lancia badged 300C WTF.

As the only Italian around here, it appears I'm also the only one pretty much fine with it.
    The fact that it's as brick-like as the older Thema is a nice coincidence.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

I wanna see one navigate some of the brick streets of little Italian towns I've visited. "Attento! Uscire di mezzo!"

What have you done during your time here?!

I can't see any relevant problem with it. Really.
    You can say Lancia was dead a long time ago, probably when Fiat bought Alfa Romeo from IRI, or even before. That was probably just the official statement.. Then again Fiat was dead when it started flirting (a bit too much) with the Italian Government.

All I'll say is that I'm fine with Lancia and Chrusler being just one entity, I've always considered them to be pretty similar.
    As far as I'm concerned, I welcome this new Lancia, as a company. Except the new Ypsilon looks... weird, judging by pics.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    All I'll say is that I'm fine with Lancia and Chrusler being just one entity, I've always considered them to be pretty similar.
    I know you are trying to be positive and stuff, but just no. And you being italian are the one who should be defending Lancia not the lunatic spaniard! Possibly of all the American car makers Chrysler could be the most similar to Lancia, but that'd be like saying that an oil tanker and a racing boat are similar because both float on water and have engines that propell them. Lancia was known at least up until 1969 (possibly up to the late 80's) as a car maker of clever engineering solutions (that not always worked but that's not the point...).

I have to say though, as a concept this could make for a great Lancia. In fact it's just the new Flaminia. A bit boxy, a bit too big, a bit too overweight and with a V6 that's a little bit underpowered. It even has innovative engineering solutions like an 8-speed gearbox. But the fact that it's just a blatant rebadge, that's what gets me.
    Visca Catalunya!

We have a way of saying here, which goes about like this:

"rather than nothing, rather is better"

Which means, everything is better than nothing. Now I could have hoped for a slightly modified bodywork, but given that was worth the money (as I doubt buyers would really bother to check), I think there may have been something to do about contracts withing the Chrysler deal, and the fact it would have taken even more time (designing, producing tools, testing and getting the homologation).

Besides, the 200 and 200 CC are not sure to make it trough the big deep ocean. Only the Thema and Voyager (yes it's large, no idea why they dropped the smaller version, would have made much more sense, now) are confirmed and available before JUne iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    What have you done during your time here?!
    The usual... some cycling, plenty of culture and soul food, hanging at a winery owned by a friend, the requisite visits to Ferrari, and Zepplin in Milan for some miniatures. We had a Mercedes S500 and in some towns the narrow streets made for a few close scrapes (literally). That's what I meant about the 300, er, new Thema. Even compared to the old Thema, this thing is a hulk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I have to say though, as a concept this could make for a great Lancia. In fact it's just the new Flaminia. A bit boxy, a bit too big, a bit too overweight and with a V6 that's a little bit underpowered. It even has innovative engineering solutions like an 8-speed gearbox. But the fact that it's just a blatant rebadge, that's what gets me.
    Exactly. I get the cost element and platform use, but the obvious rebadge bugs me too. If Fiat/Chrysler had just made an attempt to style it Italiano...

Sorry Damiano, I can't follow you.

You don't like the Lambo Aventador and are OK with a Lancia badged Chrysler 300C?

As Albert said ... Plus I would like to add: Are you Italian at all?

I would reckon that the rebadged cars are simply stopgaps to establish the brand in the US, use the existing Chrysler dealer network so that workshops get familiar with Lancia. By 2014 latest all models will be replaced by cars designed under the new management, which may respond better to the Lancia tradition. (which btw is carried over in most of the Chrysler models in the shape of the V6 engine, a first for Lancia...)

It is quite easy to utter desperate noises about the current move, but let's wait and see how it will work out.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Sorry Damiano, I can't follow you.

You don't like the Lambo Aventador and are OK with a Lancia badged Chrysler 300C?

As Albert said ... Plus I would like to add: Are you Italian at all?
    I'm, even if I may be a bit atypical.

Lamborghini looks presently more American than Italian to me, and I'm not sure why no one bothered to convert the trip computer to Italian language before of taking some press shoot...
    Italians generally don't buy Lamborghini that much. Well, to be honest they were buying mainly 911s and now ugly SUVs.

Consider the image basically everybody have about Italians is about Italians from southern Italy. Italy maybe be small, but the difference in culture is like between North and South American. That's all mainly from where most emigrants come from. Incidentally, I could see more Lamborghini's at south than north, even if it's just a guess. On the other hand you tipical "tifoso" is from southern Italy as well, so that may count for something.

Anyway, enough with digressing. The 300 is supposed to be. comfortable, larger, powerful, "elegant" (in the possibly objective mean of the word) and a flagship. All things also a Lancia should have.
    Would I have liked a different bodywork? On one hand, I like the 300 so no, and the other hand yes, I would have liked it, for the sake of not just rebadging. But as I said they may have been also some technicalities behind this choice, and I don't think it would have made an appreciable difference for the average customer.

The interior doesn't look bad at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information