Thread: Auto Union Type D up close and personal ...

Auto Union Type D up close and personal ...

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

At their annual Quail auction this year, Bonhams will offer the rare opportunity to acquire an original surviving 'Silver Arrow.' This Auto Union Type D is one of only three cars of this kind in existence and the only one that is not locked away in a collection. So it is not surprising that it is expected to sell for around $8 million in August.
    Powered by a supercharged V12, the Type D was well ahead of its time with its mid-engined layout. Thanks to its DeDion rear axle, it did not suffer from the treacherous handling characteristics of its V16 engined predecessors. The car's handling was actually so good that it could match the much more powerful Mercedes-Benz W154 towards the end of 1938. The early part of that season had been dogged with problems and tragedy that were a little too much for the small team to handle. By signing Italian ace Tazio Nuvolari things quickly got better, resulting in two Grand Prix victories. At the 1939 Reims Grand Prix, Auto Union introduced a new twin-stage supercharged version of the car, which scored a convincing 1-2-6 victory. Unfortunately War intervened and we had to wait another 20 years before the mid-engined layout would take over in Grand Prix racing.
    Today, some seventy years after its debut, the twin-stage Auto Union returned to what is left of the Reims track. On behalf of Bonhams, marque experts Crosthwaite and Gardiner took the car out for a couple of runs along the old pit-straight. This enabled us to get some rare action shots of the car as well as capture every little detail. Our work has been compiled in a breath-taking 24-shot gallery that illustrates a detailed history of the model.

1938 - 1939 Auto Union Type D - Images, Specifications and Information

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Great update.
    I really don't know much about the Silver Arrows or any other prewar GP cars. It's very interesting to learn about them.
    Did you get any audio clips of the car?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

This is just the greatest update ever!!
    You really nailed the high speed shots Wouter, and of course, the standstill photos are as good as always! Thanks again, for reminding me why I hang around here !

Near the middle of the middle of middle England.
    Brilliant colection of photographs, I must say, and I will hopefully be seeing this at Goodwood for some audio.
    Buying a car and not driving it is like buying a meal and not eating it.

"Oh sh*t, we're going..25!!" - A dear friend of mine.

Bonhams Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia results: Bonhams Sale Results

No Type D - not sold again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecnelis View Post
    Bonhams Exceptional Motorcars and Automobilia results: Bonhams Sale Results

No Type D - not sold again?
    no, and with that some other high estimated cars as well.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information