Thread: Type 22 Bugatti pulled from lake after 73 years (video)

Type 22 Bugatti pulled from lake after 73 years (video)

Interesting article / video:

A rare Bugatti that lay at the bottom of a lake for 73 years is set to fetch over 80,000 pounds at auction-the price of a brand new luxury motor.

The legendary car was dumped in the water in 1936 by a frustrated Swiss official because the owner had abandoned it without paying the import tax.

The value of the car was less than the money owed and the customs officer was compelled to destroy it.

Thus, he drove it over the Italian border to nearby Lake Maggiore - and pushed it into the deep waters.

The story became part of folklore in the nearby town of Ascona as locals debated whether the car actually existed.

After 30 years, the truth emerged after a keen diver rediscovered the Bugatti lying on its side 160 feet down at the bottom of the lake.

Since then, members of the local diving club regularly visited it and last year decided to raise it and sell it for a local charity.

Surprisingly, there was still air in the tyres and traces of the original Bugatti blue paint on the bodywork.

It is believed that 20 per cent of the vehicle is salvageable and collectors and museums are likely to be keen to buy it.

"We've offered a few things in our time in the motoring department, but nothing like this," the Sun quoted James Knight, of auctioneers Bonhams, as saying.

"Sometimes we get cars that have been hidden in barns for years, but never have we had one that's spent 70 years at the bottom of a lake," he added.

The proceeds from the car's sell will be donated to the Damiano Tamagni Foundation.

The Type 22 Bugatti, built in 1925, had four cylinders, a 1.5 litre engine and reach almost 100mph.

It was a touring two-seater with no roof and was very lightweight.

The sale is on January 23 at the Bonhams Retromobile sale in France.

Here's a video:

[ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=972_1263137427]LiveLeak.com - Rare Bugatti Pulled From Lake After 73 Years.[/ame]

pretty cool
    Last edited by TVRs4eva; 01-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    Reutlingen/ San Francisco

There was still air in the tyres?!?

wow.

wow that is cool
    i wonder why no one attempted to raise it long time ago if they knew about the car in the lake

Lakes are notorious for poor visibilty and it was 160 feet down.
    That's at the limit for breathing air/nitrox and the decompression times are so large that you either have a major logistics exercise with staged tanks to switchover and you are very limited to duratino on the bottom.
    Trimix and/or remote unmanned vehicles make it VERY expensive.
    Bonhams have listed it at €70,000 to 90,000
    So any professional attempt to recover coudl have only afforded about an hour to break even

Unlikely air in the tyres, but at the extreme low temps that far down I'm betting the rubber has solidified.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Bonhams have listed it at €70,000 to 90,000
    Sold today... For €260,500!

Lot Details

I was wondering if the price it sold for was reflective of the popularity from the Veyron.

I can't imagine that Bugatti was as much of a household name years back as it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    I was wondering if the price it sold for was reflective of the popularity from the Veyron.

I can't imagine that Bugatti was as much of a household name years back as it is today.
    Maybe, but the rich have probably heard it many times before in the past anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post

I doubt the Veyron has done any good for the value of Bugattis. They were among the most valuable cars long before the Veyron showed up. I think the Royales and Atlantics have ranked among the most valuable cars in existence for years.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

An amazing story, if nothing else.

Absolutely amazing, and amazing little factoids Matra RE Solidified rubber.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Please Ludo, can you use the attachment system?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information