Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meadow Brook Concours D'Elegance 2004

Meadow Brook Concours D'Elegance 2004

The Life of the Hall: Celebrating 75 Years in our Community

Matilda Dodge Wilson had grand plans for her charming country farm when she and her second husband, lumber broker Alfred G. Wilson, first began work in 1926 on what is now Oakland County’s legendary Meadow Brook Hall. The 88,000 square foot historic mansion features 110 rooms and is inspired by English country manors of the Tudor and Elizabethan periods.
    Purchased in 1908 as a weekend retreat, the 320-acre farm offered automobile baron John Dodge and his family much-needed solitude and serenity. Yet, it wasn’t until years later that Matilda — widowed in 1920 and remarried to Wilson in 1925 — envisioned an architectural masterpiece that would become known as one of the greatest private residences ever built in the United States.
    Today, Meadow Brook Hall sits on the campus of Oakland University and more than 100,000 guests visit the historic house museum annually for tours, special events, family and educational programs. 2004 is a special year – it’s the 75th anniversary of Meadow Brook Hall and marks the beginning of a 24-month major restoration project to help preserve the Hall for future generations. Through a $7 million gift Oakland University received from the Matilda R. Wilson Fund – a charitable trust Matilda Dodge Wilson established in 1944 – parts of the 75-year-old building will be repaired and restored.
    Beginning in May, much of the architectural infrastructure will be refurbished, including foundation and structural repairs as well as repairs to the roof, chimneys, parapets, gutters, windows, doors and stone floors. Original tile work, wall hangings, and plasterwork will be restored, and upgrades will be made to the building’s plumbing, HVAC, mechanical and electrical systems. Work will also be completed on the grounds of the Hall, including its gardens, as well as Knole Cottage – the built-to-scale, fully functioning playhouse of Frances Dodge.
    This restoration effort keeps alive Matilda's vision of Meadow Brook Hall being a lasting cultural resource for the community. The repairs will secure the building's integrity and allow Oakland University executives to pursue an endowment to preserve the future of the Hall permanently.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

RARE AND UNUSUAL CARS FROM AROUND THE WORLD CELEBRATE THE GOLDEN AGE OF AUTOMOBILES AT MEADOW BROOK CONCOURS
    Legendary automobiles will meet and compete in the prestigious and world-renowned
    Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance at Meadow Brook Hall in Rochester on August 1.

Rochester, Mich., JUNE 24, 2004 — What do the Shah of Persia, a novel detective character and the owner of a famous racehorse have in common? They’re all on the entry list of classic cars at the greatest automobile show east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason Dixon line. The 26th Meadow Brook Concours d’ Elegance will fill the picturesque grounds at Meadow Brook Hall on the campus of Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan with rare and exotic automobiles from around the world.

The theme for this year’s show is “A Celebration of the Golden Age of Automobiles,” featuring cars from 1927-1942. A lengthy list of one-of-a-kind and near one-of-a-kind automobiles will make up a field of approximately 280 cars on display and in judged competition. Among cars highlighted this year is the 1932 Packard Dietrich Convertible Roadster of Bill St. Clair from Tulare, South Dakota. This movie star-favorite is one of only two known to still exist. The beautiful and very rare automobile is the official 2004 Meadow Brook Concours “Poster Car,” its elegance and sophistication captured in the artwork of Stanley Rose.

Other highlighted cars of the 26th Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance include the “Seabiscuit Buick,” a 1932 Buick Series 90 Murphy Town Car. This big, beautiful Buick was built as a gift from C.S. Howard for his daughter in-law, Anita (Zabala). Howard had made a fortune as the West Coast distributor of Buick and, later, became the owner of the horse named Seabiscuit. The storied Buick features wonderful Murphy bodywork and all of the Buick innovation of the time, including power, clutch-less shifting and adjustable shock absorbers. It has been marvelously restored and refurbished by owner Chuck Bidwell of Hamel, Minnesota.

Check the rack of your local bookstore for the latest “Dirk Pitt” novel, and on the back you’ll find another of the unbelievable automobiles on display at the 26th Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance. The distinctive, pink 1931 Marmon V-16 traveled from Telluride, Colorado courtesy of owner and detective series-author, Clive Cussler.

Other featured automobiles will include a 1936 Pierce Arrow Derham Town Car owned by trucking tycoon John Groendyke of Enid, Oklahoma; a 1948 Talbot Lago owned by Ruger Guns CEO Bill Ruger of Newport, New Hampshire; a supercharged 1935 Duesenberg built for Ethel Mars, of the Mars candy family, and shown by Mark Smith of Monroe, Virginia; and the Shah of Persia’s 1939 Bugatti Roadster, shown by the Peterson Museum of Los Angeles.

In addition to automobiles from the Golden Age, the 26th Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance will feature large cars from the Brass Era (pre-1916), a special display of Rolls-Royce cars in recognition of its 100th anniversary, and a special display of Chrysler 300s in tribute to the return to prominence of that nameplate. There will also be special displays from the show’s three major co-sponsors: Daimler-Chrysler, Ford Motor Company and General Motors.

New to Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance is Concorso d’Italia, which will be held Saturday, July 31 on the west lawn at Meadow Brook Hall. A celebration of the influence of Italian designers, this year’s Concorso d’Italia gives tribute to Giotto Bizzarrini, recognized for the legendary 250 GTO and SWB Ferrari, the V-12 Lamborghini engine and many of his own very rare automobiles.

Featured Bizzarrini-designed cars will include the first U.S. appearance of a 1968 Manta, a one-of-a-kind Turin auto show car owned by Arturo Brenen; a 1966 5300 Spyder SI, a Geneva Salon car owned by Allison Sassak, shown for the first time in 35 years; a 1964 Iso Rivolta, Bizzarrini’s first design for Iso, owned by Don Meluzio; and Walter Kirtland’s 1969 AMX/3, a prototype of the American Motors Company 2-door muscle car designed by Dick Teague.

The cars are part of the main event, the anchor of what has become Meadow Brook Concours Week, which kicks off with “The Ladies of Concours” on Sunday, July 25 with women car collectors displaying their vehicles at The Village of Rochester in Rochester Hills. A new event, the Fox Theatre Premier Night, debuts on Tuesday, July 27. In Hollywood-style, V.I.P. guests will arrive in classic and antique motor coaches at a red carpet entrance to the majestically restored Detroit show palace for the “can’t miss” event of summer.

Meadow Brook Concours d’Elegance is proud to have contributed more than $5 million to Oakland University for the preservation of Meadow Brook Hall, which this year is celebrating its 75th Anniversary. The 80,000-square foot, 110-room mansion built during the golden automotive era by Matilda Dodge Wilson, widow of automobile pioneer John Dodge, and her second husband, Alfred G. Wilson, is set on the beautiful campus of Oakland University, established in 1957 with property and funds provided by Alfred and Matilda Wilson.

1917 Miller Golden Submarine Racer

This was my favorite car of the show. It's absolutely gorgeous and unique and I just couldn't take my eyes off of it. I lost count of how many times I kept going back to it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1917 Miller Golden Submarine Racer #2

1917 Miller Golden Submarine Racer #3

1917 Miller Golden Submarine Racer #4

1917 Miller Golden Submarine Racer ...

1917 Miller Golden Submarine Racer....

last three of the sub...

1955 Indy 500 Winner Bob Sweikart/John Zink Special...

1955 Indy 500 Winner Bob Sweikart/John Zink Special #2

1913 ALCO Berline Limousine

This car was unbelievably tall. Now, I don't consider myself a tall person - I'm 5'7" - but, I couldn't stand next to the car and look into the windows. In fact, I couldn't stand on my tip-toes and look in the windows. If I jumped in the air, I couldn't see the seat cushions. That's how tall this car is. It looked to be about as tall as a modern motorhome. The only way I was able to get interior shots was to take them when the door was open. The floor of the car was about chest-high.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-13-2004 at 11:23 AM.

1913 ALCO Berline Limousine #2

CHRONOLOGICAL HISTORY OF THE BRAND ALCO (1905/1913)

1905 : creation of the firm that depends on the "American Locomotive Company", the biggest factory firm of locomotive to the world
    creation of prestige cars under license <<Berliet>> with motor to 4 cylinders and transmission by chain
    1906: and until 1908, the corporation will produce of the "AMERICAN BERLIET" that the fine one of lyons imported vehicles or climbed to Providence (Rhode Island - usa). Two motors 4 cylinders developing 24/30 or 40/50 cvéquipaient the sold cars $5500 or $8500 in Touring, Landaulet and Limousine
    1907 : change for a transmission by tree
    1909/10 : wins the cutting Vanderbilt in competition with a 6 cylinders of 54CV that was available in open version and closed
    1912 : new range of models to 4 and 6 cylinders but to very high prices (of $4500 to $7250)
    1913 : despite all, closing of the corporation

PRODUCTION 1913

Altogether activity Alco, it was constructed about 5000 cars of 54 different models and the firm lost $460 by sold car
    For 1913, 4 models around the same motor 6 cylinders closely of 580CID to 6 cylinders in line developing 60CV
    Touring 5 places for $6000
    Touring 7 places for $6000
    Colonial Lomousine for $6750
    Berline Limousine for $7250
    Last edited by Matt; 12-13-2004 at 11:30 AM.

1913 ALCO Berline Limousine #3
    Last edited by Matt; 12-13-2004 at 11:22 AM.

1913 ALCO Berline Limousine #4
    Last edited by Matt; 12-13-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Thread Information