Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else hear of the "American" Top Gear?

Anybody else hear of the "American" Top Gear?

I hope this isn't true first of all, second sorry if its a repost but I didn't see anything realating to "New Top Gear" or "American Top Gear".
    I keep hearing that The Discovery channel is making an Americanized Top Gear. Because someone decided the real Top Gear is to "harsh" on the States. Oh Boo-hoo. These will not be like the ones we had last year where they were cut up and partly re-filmed UK episodes. We have the dubious honor of getting a completely new one. WITHOUT CLARKSON, HAMMOND AND MAY! A drag racer, a reality tv show winner and some "good-mannered" guy are the new presenters. They get a garage, sunny weather and a ready-made circuit. But they say they keep the same Stig.

Now personally, I think the show is nothing without Clarkson and gang. Aside from the cars they make the show. This is a horrible idea and I'm positive they'll get at most a pilot episode and three regulars out and it'll suck just as bad as Fifth Gear. Anyone else hear this? Comments?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

I watched it on Discovery and you could tell it had been chopped up pretty badly. An American version would probably just be boring because networks and programs here are so much in the pockets of corporations that they wouldn't dare be honest.

completely agree... probably just end up like Test Drive on Speed... where the car companies pay to have their car diven and talked about for a half hour. no harsh comments at all.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I am sure once Discovery Channel gets enough hate mail for this stupid idea they'll change their minds

Hmmm, the History Channel (latin america) has a Top Gearish show coming up. The first show is gonna feature 4 supercars ( Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and an Aston Martin). The real funny part is that the host...is a an ex-pro wrestler!!!! LOL. This should be good...as in funny!!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Hmmm, the History Channel (latin america) has a Top Gearish show coming up. The first show is gonna feature 4 supercars ( Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche and an Aston Martin). The real funny part is that the host...is a an ex-pro wrestler!!!! LOL. This should be good...as in funny!!!
    Yeah, it's already out in America. The ex-pro wrestler is Goldberg, I think.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Is that the show with

Isn't that the one with Goldberg?
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

The Discovery channel should keep, 'Mythbusters', 'It takes a Thief', and 'I shouldn't be Alive', then toss everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    Is that the show with

Isn't that the one with Goldberg?
    that ended,and they threw out the show about drag racing vintage cars.
    I liked the old top gear on discovery and despise discovery for ditching it for crap like american chopper. If i want crap like that, i would go watch MTV
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I thought the goldberg show was a temporary thing part of boy toys week. so i didnt think they threw it out, but it just ran its preplanned course.

And why would i want a car show w/ people who dont know anything about cars and a drag racer? The real top gear had great personalities that also had some car knowledge and a real passion.
    You can call me scott.

one word: LAME

Probably a repost but there's also an 'Australian' Top Gear, or more accurately a blatant ripoff thereof. Same format, same Hot Lap, same hotlap board, same incognito hotlap driver who by some miracle of individuality they've called 'The Chip' not The Stig

Its all quite embarrasing. Instead of TG's big studio crowd there's a smattering of dribble-chin drongo onlookers and that female co-host is a real car-idiot. The main presenter does try hard although the reflections from his shaven head can sometimes blind the viewer

But overseas UCP members may be interested in downloading some of the hotlaps which feature local Oz cars they otherwise haven't seen in action. It's filmed at Sydney's decent Oran Park race circuit and features lots of oversteer for the camera

http://www.drive.com.au/DriveTV/Archive.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    The Discovery channel should keep, 'Mythbusters', 'It takes a Thief', and 'I shouldn't be Alive', then toss everything else.
    And the shows with big explosions on them...

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    That's why you people have the internet

Stop complaining and start downloading

Great. The test track will be a Nascar oval I assume?
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Thread Information