Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best Classic English Car

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    Why am I not surprised what brands they all represent...
    why

The pic of the Elan is one of my favourite pics of all Lotus pics...
    And I am glad I wasn't a mechanic on that team at all
    The gel-coat was probably not the only thing a bit "repareable" after that landing

Edit: Oh Lookd through my elan pics.. after my statement abov.. and I don't know how i could forgett this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 05-17-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost
    why
    I'm actually pretty surprised to see you use a non-lotus related avatar!
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    I'm actually pretty surprised to see you use a non-lotus related avatar!
    hehe.. i know I am looking for a better one.. but have to decide first To many cool lotus pics to chose.. No seriously, I'm going to have my locost as avi, when its completed for season... soon
    But mostly I'm in love with the colour of the ascari... And the car is british... so it's ok for a while...

astom martin db5

Bentley Mark VI Standard Saloon, of course

Let's face it: basically the same mechanics as an R-type Continental,and almost as fast at 5% of the price, much quicker than the Rolls Royce variants, not as tiring as many sportscars on longer rallies and long distance rallies, and its appearance still will make the doorman at the Hotel de Paris in MonteCarlo reserve a parking for you near the entrance....
    Everyone finds in a car what he needs to have, but for me it is very satisfying!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by robert geelen View Post
    Let's face it: basically the same mechanics as an R-type Continental,and almost as fast at 5% of the price, much quicker than the Rolls Royce variants, not as tiring as many sportscars on longer rallies and long distance rallies, and its appearance still will make the doorman at the Hotel de Paris in MonteCarlo reserve a parking for you near the entrance....
    Everyone finds in a car what he needs to have, but for me it is very satisfying!
    James Bond would agree! Except his would be custom supercharged by his favourite London garage.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

I've driven so many over the years. For track days there is nothing like a Lotus or Caterham 7. Just a hoot especially the Jonathan Palmer one I drove at Bruntingthorpe. My E type bites on the limit but the D type drifts; one is on radials and the D type on cross plies which it was designed for and which are more progressive. My C type is on Blockleys which are better than Dunlops, stickier and last longer. My 348TS was a disaster; the chassis was so badly made it flexed when the rear end lost traction and it was gone. My Mini-Cooper S (stage 2 Alexander conversion) was superb. Each car is different and has plus or minus points but for me, for sheer chuckability, the old Cooper S wins. Lift off if running wide, accelerate if on oversteer. Such a simple car to drive and oh so much fun.

I personally love the Lotus Elite. Its miniscule, British, and sporty, and it breaks down a lot. Its a stereotypical and I like it. Other realistic pics, Mini or Triumph TR3 are really really classic English cars.

Quote Originally Posted by lowdrag View Post
    Each car is different and has plus or minus points but for me, for sheer chuckability, the old Cooper S wins. Lift off if running wide, accelerate if on oversteer. Such a simple car to drive and oh so much fun.
    Exactly like the new one. It's a car you drive with the throttle.

As for british cars themselves, well I haven't driven many, but the XF V8 was excellent, if not exactly a classic (future classic perhaps).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've got to say... Jaguar E-Type is the best british classic for me! not exactly for its driveability but because it is such a different and beautiful car

E types, if looked after, are hewn out of rock and not at all fragile. My engine has done 80,000 miles since a rebuild and still uses precious little oil. Where they are not so good is comfort, especially the 3.8 models. The seats get very uncomfortable after 200 miles and if over 5' 9" the early cars need a contortionist, especially if his shoe size is over size 9. Nevertheless, I've had considerable fun over the years with mine but for sheer tiny interiors try sitting in a C-type or D-type! Oh, and if a convertible carry duct tape to put around the windscreen/header rail join; keeps the trousers dry!

my "point" against the E-Type is that the track looks far too narrow in combination with the wheel arches. The side profile though makes one forget about that point..certainly compared to a contemporary Aston.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'll have to say my 1960 Ford Anglia (0-60 in 29.5 seconds, for those keeping track)

-James
    http://www.MercuryStuff.com- Classic Mercury, Ford, Lincoln and Edsel Info
    http://www.EnfoStuff.com - A site for North American English and European Ford Owners

"Best" is a subjective term, but I always think of sports cars. Or at least, sporting cars.

For Saloons, I have to pick a Bentley Arnage T.

For Coupes and sports cars, the E-type series 1 is a serious contender, but the ultra-rare and super-sexy Jaguar XKSS gets my vote.

Cougar. Impala. Road Runner. Mustang. Barracuda. Marlin. Cobra. Wildcat. Falcon. Hornet. Tiger. Jaguar. Colt. Bronco. Viper. Bagheera. Gremlin. Stingray. Firebird. Pinto. Thunderbird. Eagle. Skylark.

Protect the Wildlife. Don't crush them, restore them.

Kolkata-7th largest city in the world, still back of beyond
    I would pick a Mulsanne Turbo for a saloon, while for madness, a Caterham, and if I need to hook up girls a Jaguar E-Type

Thread Information