Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 917 street version

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Sbarro - I've heard their name thrown about but I don't know exactly who they are. An Italian coachbuilding company?

Anyway, I was just thinking how sweet Jim's brilliant blue T70 looked on the streets and that a fully refurbished 917 would be totally amazing as well.
    http://www.espera-sbarro.com.fr/hist...orique_en.html
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Sbarro - I've heard their name thrown about but I don't know exactly who they are. An Italian coachbuilding company?

Anyway, I was just thinking how sweet Jim's brilliant blue T70 looked on the streets and that a fully refurbished 917 would be totally amazing as well.
    did you like see some Sbarro's?
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

I am become learned.

Dankjewel! (I hope that is the one.)

Who told you about the reputation of the 917 ?

You should talk to Vic Elford, Helmut Marko, Guys van Lennep, Brian Redman, Gerard Larrousse, Kurt Ahrens, Willi Kauhsen, George Follmer, Leo Kinnunen or others who drove the 917 - they can tell you about the reputation of the "greatest racing car of all times". (Motor Sport magazine)

Who told you about the reputation of the 917 ?

Sorry, but my previous reply should go to

Coventrysucks

I'm the guy who made the scans of the blue and gold 917 (page 1, post 2).
    Car was shot in France in front of a great restaurant. Driver and owner was Count Rossi (from Martini & Rossi, alcohol moguls). Bob Wollek wrote a nice book about his career and there is a nice story about the Le Mans 917. He says that the 400kmH thing was a marketing thing born from the buzz made around the high speeds reached in "Les Hunaudières". The car in long tail configuration was making around 382KmH and at this speed the driver always thought this lap would be his very last as the car was pretty difficult to drive. David Piper drove one and said about the same thing. Impressive machine but not a pilot's dream. And these guys have driven almost everything.

This car proved to be one of the most prettiest cars ever made, but it horriefied the drivers. Most of them weren't keen on driving it. It took courage to drive the Langneck version of this car. Especially Vic Elford was a master in this car thanks to his rally history

To Icho Tolot:
    Did you find the pics of the Rossi-917 in a magazine or did you see and photograph the car in Paris yourself ? Perhaps you can post some more detailed informations where and when you saw the car? Or do you know the name of the photographer ?
    Thanks and regards
    Carol24

Are there any news about these cars?

The 917 has been in reproduction for year's now, going back to the late 70's.

I had no idea that they made street 917s. This was only a prototype, right?

Da-da wants.
    All kinds of reproduction KIT car's. the best for the time period was out of Ohio, with VW chassis, but what was cool was one could drop a porsche engine in them.

thanks

the 917-30

I was talking with the owner of the Donahue 917-30. He was driving on a track at one point and hit the accelerator a bit too exuberantly, it popped a wheelie on him. This scared the crap out of him and also paid notice to just how careful he needed to be.
    Attached Images Attached Images

May as well ask here, why did the Sunoco 917-30 feature +Audi on the livery?

May as well ask here, why did the Sunoco 917-30 feature +Audi on the livery?
    [ame=http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=1826207]Porsche/Audi 917 - AudiWorld Forums[/ame]

Basically, it seems that they share the same ties as both companies do today.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

As far as I can remember it was an agreement between both US dealer networks and divisions. At the time Audi was pretty much an upstart company and this way they could get more exposure in a winning team. Having other ties back in German did help as well.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information