Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 24 Hours of Le Mans preview ...

2009 24 Hours of Le Mans preview ...

Dear Ultimatecarpage.com visitor,

The first practice session of this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans is about to get under way. Unlike most other editions, there has been no test day so this will be the very first time many of the cars will hit the legendary track. Although some costs may have been cut, it has not made life any easier for the teams or us reporters looking ahead to the big race. With some well educated guesswork, we have nevertheless compiled a class by class preview.
    As has been the case for some years now, the grid is divided in two prototype and two grand touring classes. The fastest machines and the most likely candidates to score the overall the outright wins are the cars in the LMP1 class. More specifically the works Audis and Peugeots that will go head to head for the third year in a row. The German team will race the brand new R15 TDI against the well sorted 908 HDI Fap. It looks certain to be another closely disputed race with perhaps a surprising winners. Hot on their heels will be the Aston Martin team, who celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their Le Mans win back in 1959.
    In the 'smaller' LMP2 class things are a little more straightforward with one of the Porsches most likely to grab the win. The two examples entered finished first and second last year.
    By far the smallest class is GT1 with only six cars. The only works effort is Corvette Racing, who most likely will be giving their superb Corvette C6.R a farewell victory.
    Quite possibly the most difficult class to call is GT2 with its age-old Porsche vs Ferrari battle. On both sides there are several good teams that are quite capable of taking the win.
    A more detailed rundown of the classes as well as a link to every single type of car entered in the race can be found in our exclusive preview. It also includes a twenty-shot gallery with the first images from the track and scruteneering. For a more technical look at the Le Mans race, we strongly recommend the technical preview from our friends at Racecar Engineering.
    We will be on the track the coming days and will provide a full qualifying report on Friday and a well illustrated look at the race early next week.

Enjoy the links:

2009 24 Hours of Le Mans preview

Le Mans Tech Preview | Le Mans 2009 | Sportscar Racing | Racecar Engineering

Regards,
    Wouter Melissen
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Very nice, but there is picture gallery for some reason though the article says there should be. Also, for this heading "LMP2: Prototypes, 485 bhp, 485 bhp", you've repeated 485 bhp.

Interesting your favourite has changed from the R15 to the 908 - I remember another post where you had a link to your favourite and it was the R15.

Wouter....have some faith...Audi will win...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

My man on the inside has his doubts about the Audis for various reasons.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    My man on the inside has his doubts about the Audis for various reasons.
    Do tell more...

Who is this man?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Do tell more...

Who is this man?
    They call him Deep Throat...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

(Ted Joans)

Elaborate on the "various reasons"...

EDIT: the pics are just 20 so it's not a big deal, but the button to save the zip file is missing
    Last edited by LeonOfTheDead; 06-11-2009 at 03:55 AM.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    Elaborate on the "various reasons"...

EDIT: the pics are just 20 so it's not a big deal, but the button to save the zip file is missing
    The premium has made you a lazy boy. The button is missing for most of us

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    The premium has made you a lazy boy. The button is missing for most of us
    time to do something about it then.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    time to do something about it then.....
    Your marketing skills are outstanding I suppose it is a thing to do one day.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    They'll be part of the full race zip.

(Ted Joans)

They'll be part of the full race zip.
    great, thanks!

I just noticed the Apollo Speed will be featured in the driving parade the night before the race starts. Any chance of some shots of this weird car?

I would love to see Ferrari return to prototype racing...I know their main focus has always been F1, but it's been quite a while since Ferrari had a first overall at Le Mans and I'd love to see how they stacked up against Audi and Peugot.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain one as an adult.

Thread Information