1 7.69%
  • Ferrari 250 GTO

12 92.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Car & Driver 1984] - Pontiac GTO '64 vs. Ferrari 250 GTO '64

[Car & Driver 1984] - Pontiac GTO '64 vs. Ferrari 250 GTO '64

Part 1:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (546.0 KB, 22 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (579.2 KB, 20 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (618.9 KB, 23 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (693.5 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (638.4 KB, 18 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (653.8 KB, 16 views)

Part 2:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (535.3 KB, 30 views)
    • File Type: jpg 8.jpg (566.4 KB, 24 views)

Very nice find, good to read that the Ferrari in 1984 was worth a whopping 300,000 US$....I think one of the 1964 models (or a converted 1962) recently changed hands for 12 mln.
    The explicit remark about the ringer car that was used in 1964 test for the Pontiac also tells a story.

Still surprised to see the Pontiac being not so far off in the acceleration department, it might have one some in-gear measurements, but that is understandable. Brakes and the incredible steering multiplication and definitely a handicap for the Pontiac, but it was not really conceived for track use.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Now for some reason I am under the impression that GM sent a "ringer" to this test.

Ringer or not, its amazing to see how far cars have come. People love to talk about the good ole days but the reality is that we are living in the good ole days right now! Cars that are basically just a small step up from a "normal economy" (between 20-30,000) car would beat or match both of these cars. For 30,000 one can buy a mustang GT that would absolutely annihilate either of the cars both on the drag strip and around the track. Not to mention cars today are much more reliable and comfortable.

I'll bet when most of us are older (sorry henk, you are already there :^)) we'll be looking back at this time an telling our kids or grandkids that "these were the days" when almost every car was fast.
    Last edited by roosterjuicer; 10-02-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

The driving position on the Pontiac looks really uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    For 30,000 one can buy a mustang GT that would absolutely annihilate either of the cars both on the drag strip and around the track. Not to mention cars today are much more reliable and comfortable.

I'll bet when most of us are older (sorry henk, you are already there :^)) we'll be looking back at this time an telling our kids or grandkids that "these were the days" when almost every car was fast.
    That's quite an idiotic comparison, like putting up the Ferrari against a 1920 Ballot or Peugeot. (Remember that is the same 45 years difference as between a current Mustang GT and and 1964 Ferrari, or GTO).

Both cars, in their days, were considered icons, don't put them up against current cars.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    That's quite an idiotic comparison, like putting up the Ferrari against a 1920 Ballot or Peugeot. (Remember that is the same 45 years difference as between a current Mustang GT and and 1964 Ferrari, or GTO).

Both cars, in their days, were considered icons, don't put them up against current cars.
    The point was not to "put them up" against each other. The point was to show that we are living in great times as car enthusiasts.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

The point was not to "put them up" against each other. The point was to show that we are living in great times as car enthusiasts.
    no, we are living in times of overpowered, overweight panzers.

And not only that, but it seems that diffetence and uniqueness has disappeared as well.

However, there are still some gems to be enjoyed today.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'll give you the weight thing for the most part but the GTO was no featherweight.

But the reality of the matter is that we are living in a time when cars are faster, handle better yet also offer a more comfortable ride, get better mileage, are safer, more reliable and generally cost less (when adjusted for inflation).

The biggest drawback, in my opinion, for modern cars compared to old ones, are that modern cars are much more of a pain to work on or make modifications to.

I'll give you the weight thing for the most part but the GTO was no featherweight.

But the reality of the matter is that we are living in a time when cars are faster, handle better yet also offer a more comfortable ride, get better mileage, are safer, more reliable and generally cost less (when adjusted for inflation).

The biggest drawback, in my opinion, for modern cars compared to old ones, are that modern cars are much more of a pain to work on or make modifications to.
    Another drawback... styling. The styling of many modern cars are pretty bad and there are too many lookalike cars.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

You have to think that back in '64, the Ferrari GTO was a supercar also. So if you wanna make a modern comparison it'd be like a current Mustang vs a 599. Cars today should be faster considering all the technological advances

[QUOTE=roosterjuicer;949691

The biggest drawback, in my opinion, for modern cars compared to old ones, are that modern cars are much more of a pain to work on or make modifications to.[/QUOTE]

I got 30 additional BHP in 45 minutes and for about 500$.

I'm proud of you.

Did ya crank up the bewst on yer terbo there ?

Seriously though, that's a decent gain for the money, especially if its to the wheels. Is your car naturally aspirated or forced induction?
    Last edited by DesmoRob; 10-04-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Thread Information