Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sharkwater

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    What do you think if we keep changing subjects like this do you guys think we'll get back on topic eventually?
    Perhaps...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    If you put an infinite number of monkeys with typewriters in a room for an infinite amount of time, you will eventually get the complete works of shakespeare...

and I still hate monkeys.
    A friend of mine loves gorillas, or was it chiampanzees? I always confuse them...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

You confuse the two?
    Chimpanzees: Small.
    Gorillas: Sam C.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra View Post
    Gorillas: Sam C.
    He's more like a bear...
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Lamb is gross.
    You have hereby been revoked of all privileges to comment on the edibility, tastiness and appeal of any foods from here forward.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    You have hereby been revoked of all privileges to comment on the edibility, tastiness and appeal of any foods from here forward.

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Actually he could also specify what part of Texas he's from if he wanted.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Pando View Post
    Actually he could also specify what part of Texas he's from if he wanted.
    Then people could find him more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    No, I'm not saying that.

Merely pointing out that it is not as easy as just saying to someone "please stop doing that, you might kill a fish" when their entire livelihood depends on it.

It is a two-tiered, arrogant, colonial attitude and it is downright offensive.

It is expected that these desperately poor people should have their lives turned completely upside-down because their actions are directly impacting an environment, but, once we have finished ordering them to abandon their jobs and probably their homes too, we can retire to our first-world creature comforts completely unaffected, aside from a smug feeling of having done "good".
    If I may repost the comment I made earlier, I think this is the problem.

The problem with traditional foods in nations such as this is that they are no longer hunted by traditional means. What may have had little impact on the environment (despite the heartless cruelty) only hundred years ago is now a thousand times more potentially threatening. Hunting a whale or dolphin or shark in a canoe for a town of a few hundred does not equal harvesting thousands at a time by ship for millions.

If the poor people are still hunting with traditional means and only taking what they need that may be ok. Then again if the population of the species hunted cannot sustain the population eating it then all will be sorted out in the end anyway and these people will be eventually without that food source. Bing poor, traditional or adhering to some cultural habit does not justify hunting something to extinction.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Texans > Weirdos who think lamb is gross.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    If I may repost the comment I made earlier, I think this is the problem.
    That wasn't what I was getting at.

Regard:

Mauritius; Deforestation due to expansion of highly profitable sugar cane crop destroys the habitat of the Pink Pigeon, only found on the island.

In 1991 the total population of birds is reduced to 10.

Some Mauritian villager, spots a delicious-plump-breasted-pigeon for dinner, but before they can strike; up pops Douglas Adams, incredibly rich science-fiction-comedy writer who loves fiddling about with Macs, and spends most of his time living in a plush house in London.

Aforementioned science-fiction-comedy writer promptly wraps Mauritian villager across knuckles and says "No! Naughty Mauritian villager! No dinner for you!" before promptly retiring to comfortable London society and some obscure Mac software.

Not an exact account of what happened, and they saved the Pink Pigeon, but I can't help feeling that the people being denied something tasty for supper were left feeling a bit upset and confused about why some incredibly wealthy foreigner had just stopped by his country for a week to tell him that he can't have pigeon for dinner any more.

On 13th Dec 2006, the Baiji (Yangtze River Dolphin) was declared functionally extinct.

It became extinct because its habitat was polluted, and the constant stream of boats up and down the river was essentially crippling their "sonar", meaning they couldn't find food, were getting caught in nets and being hit by boats.

The solution would have been to stop many thousands of people living along the river to stop using boats (The river is 4,000 miles long, so you can imagine how many people that would involve), and to use comparatively more expensive, unreliable, and lengthy road routes to deliver goods to serve their economy, bring in supplies and provide transportation.

The jiangzhu, or freshwater Finless Porpoise faces a similar fate as its refuges - lakes along the river - are being dredged.

This dredging is the main source of economic development and an important revenue for the surrounding regions.

Is the solution for a well-heeled Westerner to pop over there for a week and say "Sorry, this fish is at risk, you have to remain in poverty. Now excuse me; I have to fly back home for a game of golf..."?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information