Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Certified ZR1 Numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    It's a road car, why does ridiculously high power and grip = better?
    As performance rises the driver increasingly becomes the weakest link. There are already many cars with limits that far exceed the driver's ability and opportunity to exploit them so what do we gain by further widening the gap?
    Your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks View Post
    Your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong.
    But, on the other hand, your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong, apparently. So you cancel each other out quite nicely.

It is ridiculous how many people are keen to either deride a car entirely because it doesn't have "enough" power/speed/acceleration - without providing a qualified definintion of "enough" other than "what everyone else has got", or similarly, simulate coitus with a car's tailpipe because it has top-trumps numbers, regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it.

Given that they have ended up replacing much of the existing vehicle anyway, why not do something daring and crazy, like build another sports car, apart from the Corvette?
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    But, on the other hand, your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong, apparently. So you cancel each other out quite nicely.
    404 opinion not found.
    Believe it or not some people (not saying myself) enjoy driving a high powered sports car. I know, they must be crazy for liking jet like acceleration, right? What a bunch of fools...
    On a more serious note, on a road thats near perfectly strait, whats the joy in having excellent handling and no power? Many of you only see and judge by one side of the coin, ignoring the other.
    It is ridiculous how many people are keen to either deride a car entirely because it doesn't have "enough" power/speed/acceleration - without providing a qualified definintion of "enough" other than "what everyone else has got", or similarly, simulate coitus with a car's tailpipe because it has top-trumps numbers, regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it.
    Thank you for putting my above post into your own words.
    Given that they have ended up replacing much of the existing vehicle anyway, why not do something daring and crazy, like build another sports car, apart from the Corvette?
    They replaced a few parts for lighter ones, tweaked the suspension and modified an existing engine platform, I wouldn't go as far as saying they might as well make a new car...

Nobody likes your crybaby routine, Slicks. If you've got a reasoned response to my questions just give it.
    You muscleheads get such a panty twist if people don't immediately agree that bigger numbers makes a better road car.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

404 opinion not found.
    So, you are saying that mine and his opinions are invalid because allegedly we have claimed your opinions are invalid.

Thank you for putting my above post into your own words.
    Great, my opinion is not just invalid, it is actually yours now.

Some sort of quest, in the Reading area.
    Thanks for all the fish

Nobody likes your crybaby routine, Slicks. If you've got a reasoned response to my questions just give it.
    You muscleheads get such a panty twist if people don't immediately agree that bigger numbers makes a better road car.
    Im not the one complaining about a high powered sports car...
    If you don't like it, then don't bother posting, or trying to say GM is wrong for making a more powerful, better handling Corvette. God forbid someone else might prefer a more powerful car...

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks View Post
    So, you are saying that mine and his opinions are invalid because allegedly we have claimed your opinions are invalid.
    Not at all. I'm saying I never gave an opinion in the first place.

Great, my opinion is not just invalid, it is actually yours now.

Some sort of quest, in the Reading area.
    This quote:
    "regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it."
    Is what Im talking about. P4g4nite is just reading a spec sheet and deciding that its some how an inferior car.

It's a road car, why does ridiculously high power and grip = better?
    As performance rises the driver increasingly becomes the weakest link. There are already many cars with limits that far exceed the driver's ability and opportunity to exploit them so what do we gain by further widening the gap?
    Go drown yourself, newbie.
    This quote:
    "regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it."
    Is what Im talking about. P4g4nite is just reading a spec sheet and deciding that its some how an inferior car.
    He's not suggesting it's an inferior car, he's questioning the point of it. There are already plenty of stupidly powerful cars that are better than pretty much anyone who will ever drive one, Lambos, Zondas, top-flight Ferraris etc etc. (and to further P4g4nite's point) but unlike those cars, the ZR1 is still just a Corvette. An immensely fast one no doubt, but still a Corvette.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by slicks
    Im not the one complaining about a high powered sports car.
    I didn't complain. I asked why more power and more grip makes for a better road car and if this is a trend worth continuing
    If you don't like it, then don't bother posting, or trying to say GM is wrong for making a more powerful, better handling Corvette.
    If you don't like my opinion, slicks, don't reply.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

I just saw a blue ZR1 (i could tell by the wierd hood)
    drive by me in my volvo- it was on PCH out of laguna beach,CA-USA
    looks like a Z06 7.0 but with a wierd hood- did not sound any different at those speeds either.
    now is a smaller blown engine with more power really a better solution?
    why did they not just super charge the 7.0?

[QUOTE

Given that they have ended up replacing much of the existing vehicle anyway, why not do something daring and crazy, like build another sports car, apart from the Corvette?[/QUOTE]

and this is a good point-
    i mean on sheer numbers the Gt-R is not better car, if the ring times are real and the usability of the car in all weather are what you judge by than the lower power GTR is better, if it is grip..
    power? what is enough if you can't use it.

I would say the big GT always are "better cars" unless it is all out race, than the compromise must lean one way or another.
    the Vantage, the 599 Fiorano, the Z06/Zr1, the 911Gt2,Viper, the Jaguar XKR, these are all better road cars than say a buggati or a saleen S7, or a mosler MT900, or even an enzo.
    only because the defining idea is road and this connotes use and frequently
    but i would think these are all over powered for a daily grind
    the Lotus elise, the saturn sky/opel speedster/pontiac solstice, mazda miata, nissan 350 z the Holden Monaro,pontiac GTO...these are better everyday cars and they certainly are not poor on performance but what is the measuring stick really measuring a spec sheet? or real experience.
    the fastest thing i ever drove has been a 99 viper at a race in road america
    this car i could live with in the street, but at the time it had what 450 hp?
    a 600 hp viper would be absolutely ludicrous and i see these and SLR, or SL65 AMGs all over and Pork GT2/ a GT3 now and again a F430
    i also see these on wrecked exotics alot of people are dumb/crazy thinking they can handle more and more power and grip
    especially in a very unpredictable surface as a public road with traffic.
    The ZR1 is a great piece-
    i hope they are used sparingly on the road and alot on track days where they belong. i would hate to see these wrecked

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    He's not suggesting it's an inferior car, he's questioning the point of it. There are already plenty of stupidly powerful cars that are better than pretty much anyone who will ever drive one, Lambos, Zondas, top-flight Ferraris etc etc. (and to further P4g4nite's point) but unlike those cars, the ZR1 is still just a Corvette. An immensely fast one no doubt, but still a Corvette.
    The Point? Its a 630+hp car with a warranty that you can buy for significantly less than a Ferrari or Lambo etc. Not everyone can afford a $200,000 car, then the maintenance and insurance for one. But more people will be able to afford a $100,000 car with much cheaper maintenance, especially one that you can work on yourself...

I didn't complain. I asked why more power and more grip makes for a better road car and if this is a trend worth continuing
    If you don't like my opinion, slicks, don't reply.
    In some peoples eyes, yes, in others obviously no.
    Here is a post from a potential ZR1 buyer:
    LS1TECH - View Single Post - Official ZR1 Horsepower & Torque Numbers
    A former owner of LS1tech, and has owned many powerful cars in the past and currently has a supercharged Viper putting out close to 700hp to the wheels(amongst other cars). Obviously he can afford a ZR1.
    Notice, he wants more power out of the ZR1. So for him, more power = better.
    You want my opinion? More power to an extent is good for a "road car", as well as better handling. I would personally prefer a Z06 over the ZR1, 505hp/470ft.lbs is enough for me (for now )

Quote Originally Posted by Fiorano View Post
    I just saw a blue ZR1 (i could tell by the wierd hood)
    drive by me in my volvo- it was on PCH out of laguna beach,CA-USA
    looks like a Z06 7.0 but with a wierd hood- did not sound any different at those speeds either.
    now is a smaller blown engine with more power really a better solution?
    why did they not just super charge the 7.0?
    They used the 6.2L because the bore spacing on the LS7 was really tight, and I don't think it would take kindly to boost for a long period of time.
    Sort answer - reliability.

thanks for the 7.0 info

From: BridgeToGantry.com - Everything Nurburgring Nordschleife! - More ZR1 Nurburgring News

Is that a supercharger under your bonnet or are you just pleased to see me?

The weather here in Nürburg continues warm and dry. So it's unsurprising that Chevrolet have been out testing the Corvette ZR1 - the supercharged 642bhp behemoth that promises to make the most of your $100,000.

Without insider knowledge* it would be difficult to confirm, but I think they may have been looking for a laptime today. From my office window I spotted a helicopter chasing something that sounded very V8 and awfully supercharged...

Ferrari red. On a Corvette. Weep.

*GM: This is an open invitation. We want more information!
    "As I walk through the valley of rice I shall fear no turbo, for torque art with me and the enemy is fat."

Quote Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
    Ferrari red. On a Corvette. Weep.
    There's a 55 years old saying that says "Red is the only colour for the Corvette".
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Thread Information