Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of The Car

Well, that depends actually.

Old Clio RS was better than new one, but I'd rather have an XE than a glorified Mondeo.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Are many of you beginning to feel that you prefer the previous generation of a recently redesigned car, or am I just getting old?
    I've said that a lot for the Subaru Legacy, I feel like it got a lot bigger, the US lost access to the Legacy wagon and overall doesn't look as good as the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Well, that depends actually.

Old Clio RS was better than new one, but I'd rather have an XE than a glorified Mondeo.
    Feshaw, but they were non-sequential. Just think of a bunch of recent cars. How many of the new version would you prefer?

The entire Mazda range is good example; all the current cars are both better looking and much more interesting mechanically than their predecessors. They also drive rather well.

Peugeot is also on a similar note to Mazda's; the newer '08 cars are better looking and plainly less awful than the '07 car range.

New Twingo is much more interesting than the second generation predecessor.

New Mustang has finally entered 21st century which can't be an entirely bad thing and the F-150 has gone all aluminium. The (at least standard version) Corvette is also on a high note compared to the C6. Oh and definitely, ATS > BLS.

That's not to say all is perfect (BMWs are getting worse for some reason, and I mourn loss of the normally aspirated AMG V8s), but I don't think it is quite as catastrophic as it seems.

The 90's were far worse.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Valid points. This refreshes me slightly.

Just a quick general question, is the relationship between Mercedes and McLaren over?

I mean, they helped make the SLR McLaren, but was that it?

That I think ended it. McLaren didn't like Mercedes' direction.

With the F1 going Honda next year, all ties will be cut...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Also Kitdy, too much mental masturbation, not enough driving.
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post

You deserve a medical degree for this.

I went karting. Karting is just about the best thing one can do.

If you compare everything to a GoKart, then there will be no point driving a road car. All this "old gen seems to be better than new" stuff is BS without actually driving them...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I went karting. Karting is just about the best thing one can do.
    when you are seven years old, yes.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If you compare everything to a GoKart, then there will be no point driving a road car. All this "old gen seems to be better than new" stuff is BS without actually driving them...
    I have neither the time, money, nor press credentials to drive the scores of cars I would have to to make a truly informed decision, so I have to make informed decisions based on what I read, and what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    when you are seven years old, yes.
    Well you can go on the real fast ones if you like. I think it's an absolute riot.

Mosport has a few tracks on site; one of them is a big karting course. I'm not sure driving say a Carrera Cup car on the main track would be more enjoyable than racing 250ccs on the karting track.

I have neither the time, money, nor press credentials to drive the scores of cars I would have to to make a truly informed decision, so I have to make informed decisions based on what I read, and what I see.

Well you can go on the real fast ones if you like. I think it's an absolute riot.

Mosport has a few tracks on site; one of them is a big karting course. I'm not sure driving say a Carrera Cup car on the main track would be more enjoyable than racing 250ccs on the karting track.
    driving is not about being fast. Racing may be but not driving. But I can in a certain way relate to what you said. My current C5 has long been replaced by a newer model, of which the estate version brings 100 kg more on the scale and luggage space is 100 liters less. Journos praised the improvement in the driving experience. Yet I am reluctant to go for this model, because of the things I mentioned. I have not even driven it although there is aversion with a 240BHP V6 diesel. The current model will be phased out in a few years and then the next model (if ever there will be one) will be built on a Peugeot platform which is not suitable (cost-wise) for Citroen's unique selling point, the hydropnematic suspension, so it is no longer a Citroen. For the time being I have decided to keep on running my old mount for some years at least.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm sure the ride of your C5 is something I can get behind. Driving a vast selection of vehicles at M-B really made me appreciate the benefits of a comfortable and yet poised ride, along with a quality interior filled with wonderful tactful materials, as well as extremely wary of luxury car service costs, depreciation, and high monthly leasing costs.

Something like a kart or track car lies on the opposite edge of the spectrum, and that is what appeals to me. Don't get me wrong: I like driving. It has been my job, part or full time for something like 10 years now, and there is a reason for that. Driving in the city or highway for long periods of time do not phase me, most particularly so when the roads are quieter. However, I don't like monthly payments, gas prices, or insurance premiums, so ideally when I enter the workplace, I'll work where I don't need to use a car. Toronto's core is becoming ever more friendly residents who do not have cars. Land prices and traffic in the GTA are expensive enough to make the tradeoffs between suburban and urban life and commuting via car vs another method complex.

I would not mind having a dedicated track toy, be it a kart or some kind of older purist sportscar, because as you mentioned, driving is not about being fast; but racing is, and racing is fun.

Our little Mazda is fun(ish), but jerking around potholes, sewage covers, and streetcar tracks in the downtown core (or even major subruban surface street arteries) makes something like a hydropneumatic suspension equipped car with great leather seats and an amazing soundsystem and smartphone interface desirable, and something like a Subaru WRX more distasteful. Also it is crap weather for here 6 months of the year. Maybe when it comes time to settle down and start a family a suburban house, it will be fun to have with powerful but lightly sprung AWD wagon on high profile tires.

I try to not fall into the potholes of "rose-tinted-glassesism," nor the recency effect/techno-utopianism, but it is hard. My ideal car would likely be a psychotic hybrid of classic analogue driver inputs, instrumental simplicity, style, and lightness, and modern interior quality, reliability, power, economy, sound system, and ride.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 10-08-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Thread Information