16 18.60%
  • Rolls-Royce

70 81.40%
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Vote For One

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    can you weld an aluminum frame???
    No, but I can learn.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Nope. A compilation of reviews similar to what Fleet quotes. But it worries me that now you've gotten emotional and personal about them in a way I've never seen you get before - you've always been so even-keeled before.

Fleet...gotta say, I agree with you 99% of the time, but you've done a lot of harm to our position getting a lot of people bent out of shape. People who at least were neutral about Cads before are biased against them simply because they had a run in with ya...
    The way I figure it, those who are biased against Cads will probably always be biased. Unless they are fortunate enough to ever drive one; then most would convert (if it's a classic Cadillac, that is). Besides, I felt it my duty to dispel some of the myths.

Also, posting facts won't hurt Cadillac's reputation.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 05-31-2007 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    The way I figure it, those who are biased against Cads will probably always be biased.
    This sentence exposes your main problem: You proposed a poll between RR and Cadillac. The majority voted for RR, which you now interpret as being "biased against" Cadillac. You could also see it the other way atound: These people are biased in favour of RR....which does not automatically imply that they are biased "against" Cadillac.

You surely remember GWB's statement after 9/11. "Those who are not with us, are against us". You have shown a similar mindset in this thread....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This sentence exposes your main problem: You proposed a poll between RR and Cadillac. The majority voted for RR, which you now interpret as being "biased against" Cadillac. You could also see it the other way atound: These people are biased in favour of RR....which does not automatically imply that they are biased "against" Cadillac.

You surely remember GWB's statement after 9/11. "Those who are not with us, are against us". You have shown a similar mindset in this thread....
    I think it's more of the fact of the RR's overrated status. But you have to admit that many people do have a bias against Cadillac, like calling them a "boat" even though a Rolls of the same era feels more like a "boat" than the Cads did.

I think it's more of the fact of the RR's overrated status.
    "Fact"??? That is your opinion but therefore not automatically a "fact"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Fleet, do you believe that cars can be built to different standards?

This is the main issue here. The Cadillac might have more leg-room and more torque and possibly more luxury. However, it's still built to a lower standard.

Similarly, Hyundai recently campaigned that the Azera is roomier than a 7-series. I'm glad they didn't say that because it's roomier and that makes it better than the Bimmer. Plus, with the money you'll save you'll be laughing all the way to the bank vs. the stupid person who bought the more expensive car... no, that would've reeked of a large case of sour grapes.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

"Fact"??? That is your opinion but therefore not automatically a "fact"
    Okay, opinion... but many would agree.
    However, in overall driving (ride, handling, braking) there are other cars which do just as well.

Okay, opinion... but many would agree.
    no, "you think" that many would agree. Don't also state that as a fact.....learn how to formulate accurately (and don't deviate to other cars.... )

no, "you think" that many would agree. Don't also state that as a fact.....learn how to formulate accurately (and don't deviate to other cars.... )
    That's YOUR opinion!

That's YOUR opinion!
    no, it was a suggestion...another suggestion could be: Learn to read accurately....

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv View Post
    Fleet, do you believe that cars can be built to different standards?
    Yes, sometimes they have to.

This is the main issue here. The Cadillac might have more leg-room and more torque and possibly more luxury. However, it's still built to a lower standard.
    Built to a lower standard compared to Rolls? If so, again, Cadillac built well over 200,000 cars for each year in the mid-to-late '60s; it would be impossible to hand-craft each car.
    But, Cadillac engineering was very well done. For instance, the most precise engine part measurements were .0002" (two ten-thousands of one inch).
    I outlined it here:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...=32318&page=25
    (Post #370)

Also, Cadillac had the financial ability to buy expensive equipment to test and refine their cars.
    For instance, this is from Motor Trend, Jan., 1966, a coast-to-coast test of a '66 Sedan de Ville: "Some 3,000 miles later, we returned with this top luxury machine, very much impressed with the car and with the way it's put together. Our personal tour of Cadillac's vastly expanded facilities (they've increased working space by 50% and have added tons of new testing equipment) impressed on us the fact that this is a thoroughly tested automobile, probably far more refined than certain other top luxury cars from across the pond whose makers couldn't begin to afford the facilities Cadillac has.
    Take, for instance, their one-of-a-kind Road Simulator. It holds the car on four hydraulic pistons and can be programed to simulate any road surface, anywhere in the world. It finds out in 30 seconds what it took hours to find out on the old mechanical shakers. Cost of this device was $250,000. In addition, we saw a vast array of dynamometers, hot and cold rooms, wind tunnels, and component-testing setups.
    Watching the assembly line was another surprise. At maximum pace, 50 cars a day is tops, with two shifts. Care is taken in building, and a high degree of personalization goes into each Cadillac. Workers are allowed more time to do their respective jobs right."
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 05-25-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Watching the assembly line was another surprise. At maximum pace, 50 cars a day is tops, with two shifts. Care is taken in building, and a high degree of personalization goes into each Cadillac. Workers are allowed more time to do their respective jobs right."
    so assuming 250 working days per annum, maximum production was 12,500 units per year, a far cry from the 200,000 plus really produced.....

so assuming 250 working days per annum, maximum production was 12,500 units per year, a far cry from the 200,000 plus really produced.....
    That was at just that one plant. Cadillac had more than one plant. There was the Fleetwood plant. Then there was the Linden plant in New Jersey and the Clark plant.
    And it's most likely more than 250 working days.

And, besides, the build plate under the hood of my former '70 Sedan de Ville showed that it was around the 60,000th Sedan de Ville's built (I forgot the exact number).

That was at just that one plant. Cadillac had more than one plant. There was the Fleetwood plant.
    Then there was the Linden plant in New Jersey and the Clark plant.
    And it's most likely more than 250 working days.
    They are talking about Cadillac's facilities.....did the factory run for seven days a week?

Thread Information