Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are manuals more manly?

Are manuals more manly?

Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

What can i say? All my cars are sticks. My issue with auto transmissions is a serious health one. If I drive an auto transmission car for too long, I may end up in a ditch or a quater way up an electric pole. I get drowsy and sleepy driving an auto transmission car. I still haven't figured out why i make more driving mistakes with an auto transmission than with a manual transmission. Other than this, I don't have an issue with auto transmissions.
    Last edited by G35COUPE; 09-19-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Yes. Yes they are.

In my opinion the manly/macho debate over transmissions is non existent.

If someone expects to show that he is an Alpha male by the way he handles the gear stick, then we have a problem

It all boils down to what rocks your boat. If you buy a Lambo, you might want the manual because of the way the stick looks. If you buy a Veyron, you will love the effortlessness of the DSG...
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

Quote Originally Posted by lightweight View Post
    If you buy a Lambo, you might want the manual because of the way the stick looks.
    If someone buys a car for the way the gear lever looks we have a problem. Then again people buy Lambos because the doors open upwards...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    If someone buys a car for the way the gear lever looks we have a problem. Then again people buy Lambos because the doors open upwards...

Because gold chains are manly.

1960's 4-speed with huge throws and no power anything is manly.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Culturally speaking, it would seem that the typical view on cars is that yes, a manual car is a more manly car. I can't really pinpoint why this is the case, but just about everyone I have ever talked to on the subject (even the few females I know who can drive a manual) will agree on the matter.

The only thing that comes to mind as a reason would be that driving a manual is more of a challenge/more difficult, and makes driving require another degree of skill that an automatic simply does not. From this I would say that, like someone who can play guitar such a thing definitively separates someone and gets some more respect, but this has no bearing on one's manliness that I can see (and therefore I have no idea what to do with this point at the moment ).
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    Culturally speaking, it would seem that the typical view on cars is that yes, a manual car is a more manly car. I can't really pinpoint why this is the case, but just about everyone I have ever talked to on the subject (even the few females I know who can drive a manual) will agree on the matter.

The only thing that comes to mind as a reason would be that driving a manual is more of a challenge/more difficult, and makes driving require another degree of skill that an automatic simply does not. From this I would say that, like someone who can play guitar such a thing definitively separates someone and gets some more respect, but this has no bearing on one's manliness that I can see (and therefore I have no idea what to do with this point at the moment ).
    Of course that should be viewed as an American, and perhaps Japanese, issue. Since everyone in pretty much anywhere else in the world (maybe Australia is an exception too) knows how to drive a manual, man or worman.
    Visca Catalunya!

Of course that should be viewed as an American, and perhaps Japanese, issue. Since everyone in pretty much anywhere else in the world (maybe Australia is an exception too) knows how to drive a manual, man or worman.
    True.

But also, most of the people I talk cars with are of generations that grew up before automatics were so prevalent in these parts. Old people ftw!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

If someone buys a car for the way the gear lever looks we have a problem.
    Hmmm... very well put

Manuals are more difficult to operate than Autos, but it's not "DIFFICULT" to operate a manual.

It's like saying that Macs are tougher to operate than PCs. (Best example I could find )
    Minimising losses can maximise net gains

ill put it this way, i never would have bought my z if it had been manual. i would never buy a tiptronic porsche. if its a sports car it must be manual, (a ferrari with f1 or dsg on the veyron are a different story since they have a clear performance advantage.) if you can drive manual but buy a car that is auto for whatever reason it generally doesnt matter, but if you buy a sports car with an auto specifically because you cant drive manual then your gay (someone who buys a tiptronic boxter because they want to show off in a porsche but cant drive stick for example). So it sort of is more manly to be able to drive manual but that doesnt mean you need to buy manuals only to prove it, knowing how is enough
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

there is nothing more manly than approaching another car on the road, popping it into fourth and raging past leaving him in the dust. and I'm sorry but it just isnt the same with flappy paddles..

^ agreed
    i read it, and i lol'd. it DID seem to skate over the whole DCT thing, but we all know that's for the playstation generation
    he's got a point though. manual lambo's do look nice with the gated shifter.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

My mother's Honda is manual.

My old skool, straight six bimmer is auto.

That is all.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Thread Information