Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Car! Peugeot 508 SW

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Volvo does not sell any wagons in North America anymore.
    Just checked Volvo's site, and they have the XC70, which is a "Wagon"
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Does the Chevy HHR count? If so, they've become extremely popular
    The Chevy HHR would count but perhaps it could be classified as a hatchback? Now that I think about it, there's a couple more wagons.

Audi A6 Avant
    VW Jetta Wagon (I'm flabbergasted that they're not selling the Passat wagon here)
    BMW 3 Series and 5 Series wagons
    Toyota Matrix (maybe it's a hatchback? Sort of questionable, like the HHR)
    Subaru WRX/STI

I would have included the Dodge Magnum if it weren't discontinued. I'm not familiar with the Korean car makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    Does Volvo not exist in US anymore!?

And congratulations with an amazing car, Lotuslocost!
    Volvo doesn't sell pure wagons anymore.

Just checked Volvo's site, and they have the XC70, which is a "Wagon"
    The XC70 is really a crossover, same thing as a Subaru Outback, but I would count it as a sort of a wagon.

I'm really annoyed that the Subaru Legacy wagon isn't sold here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I like the fact that it has a 72 litre tank, which with the diesel must make for a very long range indeed. I hate stopping for fuel...

I don't like that they don't offer the front double wishbones for models other than the GT (or offer the GT for different drivetrains). If they have developped it, why not offer it across the range, at least as option? Altough I've read that it doesn't make much of a difference actually.

I cannot say much more about it, it seems like a normal family estate. But I do not have direct experience with the car, so my opinion hasn't much value, has it?

What's your opinion on the car?
    I find your opinions very honest, that's why I wondered what you thought
    As a matter a fact I also wondered about why there is no "sporty" suspension available throughout the range, when they have done the work with fitting a double wishbone setup on the GT. This also led my mind to: Why doesn't every car maker use double wishbone suspensions to make handling better.. Can it be that more expensive to produce, if it was the norm? Is it reliability issues with it that I don't know? I am only familiar with it on the racecars i have/have had.

My opinion on the car I have bought isn't all folded out yet, I have to do some more time behind the wheel. But I still feel, after picking it up, that I get a well equipped car for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    Nice car!

People who are used to driving SUV's are never going to choose a wagon because they like riding higher and the better road vision that comes with it.
    I have to disagree 110%. After some hours and days in SUV's I can't possibly think why I would ever buy an SUV. They are comfortable yes, but in a way that make you loose connection with the car you are driving and the surface you are dealing with.. They are either way to soft in the suspension, which makes the handling slow and incorrect, or you are so stupid that you buy one with "sporty suspension" which makes it like a high brick with wheels bolted on. A kidney-belt should be optional on such models. A sporty suspension should make the car perform better in turns, not just making it super stiff.. But center of gravitation will always be the SUV's worst enemy.

But I'm not gonna stop you, if you want to glide along in a couch/church bench feeling nothing at all about what you are doing, be my guest.

Reference SUV's on my behalf: Audi Q5, Volvo V60 R-Design (kidney killer), Cayennes, both Turbo and normal V6. Crapolini cars all of them, when it comes to what I like about cars, driving them more than on a highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Jalopnik can be very Europhile (ditto Autoblog); they lust for the practicality and forbidden fruit of a diesel wagon that does not reach our shores.

The grass is always greener...
    Aha! Forbidden fruits are always the tastiest. And FYI, the grass in Europe IS greener than in NA

Does Volvo not exist in US anymore!?

And congratulations with an amazing car, Lotuslocost!
    Thanks Brix!

I have to disagree 110%. After some hours and days in SUV's I can't possibly think why I would ever buy an SUV. They are comfortable yes, but in a way that make you loose connection with the car you are driving and the surface you are dealing with.. They are either way to soft in the suspension, which makes the handling slow and incorrect, or you are so stupid that you buy one with "sporty suspension" which makes it like a high brick with wheels bolted on. A kidney-belt should be optional on such models. A sporty suspension should make the car perform better in turns, not just making it super stiff.. But center of gravitation will always be the SUV's worst enemy.

But I'm not gonna stop you, if you want to glide along in a couch/church bench feeling nothing at all about what you are doing, be my guest.

Reference SUV's on my behalf: Audi Q5, Volvo V60 R-Design (kidney killer), Cayennes, both Turbo and normal V6. Crapolini cars all of them, when it comes to what I like about cars, driving them more than on a highway.
    There are obviously loads of ppl who disagree with who care not one wit about performance or the dynamics of a proper handling car....they are the SUV buyers and the ppl I was referring to. They just want to get from point A to point B with some utility and in something that makes them 'feel safe'. On second thought they are not disagreeing with you...they just have different purchasing criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    This also led my mind to: Why doesn't every car maker use double wishbone suspensions to make handling better.. Can it be that more expensive to produce, if it was the norm? Is it reliability issues with it that I don't know?
    There are few other drawbacks besides the cost such as:

- it takes a lot of space compared to MacPherson setup.

- more components and connecting points to chassis equals higher maintenance costs.

Most extreme example here is a classic Saab 900 with double wishbone setup at the front. In order to remove driver's side upper control arm, the factory manual states rather bluntly that the engine has to come out first!

But then why go through all the trouble of developping this type of suspension and the only offering it with the 2.2 litre diesel and an automatic...? I guess it will through the same process the 4 wheel steering in the Laguna went, first offer it on the top of the range model and later offer it across the range.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well I guess it is a very cunning move from Peugeot.

Most journos report excellent handling from GT model, most customers see a very keen price of basic 508 - put two and two together...

And unlike the four wheel steering it's impossible to tell from the outside...
    Visca Catalunya!

I just realized I rather miss Peugeots. All these bloody SUVs everywhere with their plastic fantastic interiors, ridiculous gas mileage, and submarine like handling...

But I digress. Nice buy!
    Turning money into memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    There are few other drawbacks besides the cost such as:

- it takes a lot of space compared to MacPherson setup.

- more components and connecting points to chassis equals higher maintenance costs.

Most extreme example here is a classic Saab 900 with double wishbone setup at the front. In order to remove driver's side upper control arm, the factory manual states rather bluntly that the engine has to come out first!
    But then why go through all the trouble of developping this type of suspension and the only offering it with the 2.2 litre diesel and an automatic...? I guess it will through the same process the 4 wheel steering in the Laguna went, first offer it on the top of the range model and later offer it across the range.
    I guess it's all down to production costs as you mention. But as Ferrer say, why bother to make the effort on the GT if they don't offer it throughout the range?? I am pretty sure I would have checked the box if it was in the options list.

What I discovered with buying a Peugeot, compared to other brands, is the strict rules of the trim packages. Anyhow my car had to be produced to specifics from the factory, there where no chance of getting anny other extras than things listed in the options list for that specific trim level. As an example, I asked for flatt black interior details, instead of the carbonfiberish the Allure package offers, but there was no room for special orders. I guess everything is down to costs, in every chain of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I just realized I rather miss Peugeots. All these bloody SUVs everywhere with their plastic fantastic interiors, ridiculous gas mileage, and submarine like handling...

But I digress. Nice buy!
    Thanks Rasmus!!

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    I guess it's all down to production costs as you mention. But as Ferrer say, why bother to make the effort on the GT if they don't offer it throughout the range?? I am pretty sure I would have checked the box if it was in the options list.

What I discovered with buying a Peugeot, compared to other brands, is the strict rules of the trim packages. Anyhow my car had to be produced to specifics from the factory, there where no chance of getting anny other extras than things listed in the options list for that specific trim level. As an example, I asked for flatt black interior details, instead of the carbonfiberish the Allure package offers, but there was no room for special orders. I guess everything is down to costs, in every chain of this.
    That's a problem with generalist car makers. In many cases options are linked through packages or a specific for a certain trim level. For instance in the Volkswagen Golf if you want Xenon headlamps you have to have the Sport model which inevitably brings silly big wheels. It's quite annoying.

This doesn't happen with the so-called "premium" brands.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's a problem with generalist car makers. In many cases options are linked through packages or a specific for a certain trim level. For instance in the Volkswagen Golf if you want Xenon headlamps you have to have the Sport model which inevitably brings silly big wheels. It's quite annoying.

This doesn't happen with the so-called "premium" brands.
    But this do also open up for easier negotiation of price .
    ex.
    If one should by a Golf "minimum" for 10000u (made up currency) and the "medium" cost 12000u - If you are only interested in lets say 1/4 extra parts, and make this clear to the salesman, and therefor are uncertain to spend the extra 2000u - he is more likely to drop the price on the medium (giving you are better deal). If it weren't in packages you would be able to do this as the price for lets use Xenon light would be a fixed price that the seller wouldn't drop, as he knows that you want the Xenon.

I'm a sparetime salesman (Phones not Cars), and therefor know this and has very often saved a few bucks by pushing the price on a whole package instead of the small things i knew i wanted. (Remember a higher trim level also has a higher resell price )
    Also known as:
    CTD and CrashTestDummy

And now it looks like this....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Olive Drab #33?

Interesting choice of color...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information