Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1957 vs. 2012

A wise choice ! Now, lets all get back to what we all love ...cars and racing !

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen_Ferio View Post
    You now what I dont wanna get banned so Im going to leave this right here
    Ok that's cool, you were trolling anyway

Apartheid in SA was soooooo long ago !!
    The comments kind of proved the point
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Ok that's cool, you were trolling anyway
    Trolling?!
    Current - 2005 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GLS
    Current - 1998 Honda Civic 160i Luxline

Oh it just absolutely annoys me when foreigners (espacially Americans) speak of South Africa like they actually know what goes on here by only knowing what they see or read on the news.
    Well, in that respect, it has not gone by unnoticed over here what a certain mr. Rick Santorum said about euthanasia in the Netherlands....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Trolling?!
    Random USA bashing thread isn't? I don't like the way my country's gone but it still beats living in a majority of others and i'll stick up for that

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    Random USA bashing thread isn't? I don't like the way my country's gone but it still beats living in a majority of others and i'll stick up for that
    Mugen Ferio, it might help to show the original source of the quote in post #1.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Mugen Ferio, it might help to show the original source of the quote in post #1.
    Ek dink ook so.

Scenario 1:
    Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2012 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
    Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2012 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it

Scenario 3:
    Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2012 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalinand prescribed medical marijuana. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI) from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
    Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2012 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
    Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school..

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock

2012 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
    Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2012 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
    Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1957 - Ants die.

2012 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
    Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.
    O and I didnt do American bashing. Eventhough this might be a bit exaggerated there is some truth to this no?

OK, fine but what's the source of these scenarios? Did you produce them yourself or did you find them somewhere and if so where?

O ok I see what you mean. A friend sent them too me. I unfortunately do not have the original email anymore, but I DID NOT come up with this by myself.

Also google 1957 vs. 2012 and you'll get some sources

"I think Obama is an awful president who is trying to ruin our country with things like healthcare!" Sure, healthcare is a real thing...doesn't mean the statement isn't bashing the guy still.

NOTE: This in no way reflects my political views, and I know it is potentially politically charged - just the only good example I could think up off the top of my head. Do not make a discussion out of my example, please.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post

"I think Obama is an awful president who is trying to ruin our country with things like healthcare!" Sure, healthcare is a real thing...doesn't mean the statement isn't bashing the guy still.

NOTE: This in no way reflects my political views, and I know it is potentially politically charged - just the only good example I could think up off the top of my head. Do not make a discussion out of my example, please.

I wont

Pff, 50s nostalgia is bullshit. The 50s are revered as a time of happiness and fun for all in North America, but it was just chrome covering rust to the core. Alcoholism, racism, and sexism were rampant. The 50s has achieved nostalgic status for North Americans from time to time in the last 30 odd years, but it is all bullshit. If you were a woman or a minority back then, life was probably pretty shitty for you. School would probably suck if you were being bullied, as that seemed much more tolerable in the day. With the boomers being such a big segment of the North American population, they like to, and are able to, make the period of their childhoods seem rosy and happy, when things were actually pretty damn terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Pff, 50s nostalgia is bullshit. The 50s are revered as a time of happiness and fun for all in North America, but it was just chrome covering rust to the core. Alcoholism, racism, and sexism were rampant. The 50s has achieved nostalgic status for North Americans from time to time in the last 30 odd years, but it is all bullshit. If you were a woman or a minority back then, life was probably pretty shitty for you. School would probably suck if you were being bullied, as that seemed much more tolerable in the day. With the boomers being such a big segment of the North American population, they like to, and are able to, make the period of their childhoods seem rosy and happy, when things were actually pretty damn terrible.
    This. +1.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Strange, my mom and Aunts (all women) really enjoyed the '50s. Most of them had a driver's license and a car and a job.

Bullying in school still happens today. Some kids even commit suicide because of it.

Were the '50s perfect? No, but what decade was?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Thread Information