Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Fiesta (6th gen) 2008-

Ford Fiesta (6th gen) 2008-

FORD CONFIRMS FIESTA AS GLOBAL NAME FOR SMALL CAR

Ford’s new-generation global small car to be previewed at 2008 Geneva Motor Show. Its worldwide name is confirmed – Ford Fiesta.
    New Fiesta is the first product of Ford’s new global product development process, with versions due for launch also in Asia and North America between 2008 and 2010.
    European production of new Fiesta begins in fall 2008

COLOGNE, Germany, Feb. 14, 2008 – Ford’s new small car family will use the Fiesta name around the world, the company confirmed today.

Designed and developed in Europe for customers in Europe, Asia, South Africa, Australia and the Americas between 2008 and 2010, the new Fiesta is the first major product of Ford’s new global product development process. This new small car keeps alive a name synonymous with more than 30 years of success and strong driving dynamics in Europe and is already well known in markets across Asia, Australia and South America. The Fiesta also was offered in the U.S. from 1978 to 1980.

“The new Ford Fiesta captures every aspect of what’s defined Ford as a small-car leader in Europe and builds on it in terms of driving dynamics and design,” said Mark Fields, president of the Americas, Ford Motor Company. “When it arrives in North America in 2010, the Ford Fiesta will set a new standard in the small car segment. Even before it arrives in this market, though, the new Fiesta demonstrates how leveraging our global strengths can yield attractive benefits for customers around the world.”

The dynamic new look for this global family of small cars was previewed in three Ford Verve Concept vehicles which made their debuts at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2007, the Guangzhou Motor Show in November 2007 and the North American International Auto Show in January 2008.

In Europe, the new Fiesta will debut first in production guise at the 2008 Geneva Motor Show in March and will go on sale in fall 2008 in three- and five-door hatchback body styles. By 2010, the new Fiesta will be on sale in markets across Europe, Asia, South Africa, Australia and North America in a variety of regionally tailored models derived from a common platform.

"The new Ford Fiesta will set the standard for delivering to our customers products they really want and value while taking advantage of our wonderful global resources," said Alan Mulally, Ford Motor Company president and CEO. "With momentum in small-car sales outpacing industry growth worldwide, we will build on our European small car strength to deliver a new generation of small cars for a new generation of highly discerning customers."

The new Ford Fiesta brings the dynamic Verve Concept exterior and interior styling to production reality, demonstrating that small cars can be stylish, sophisticated and emotional. It rejects the notion that an affordable small car has to be a commodity.

The new Ford Fiesta also makes major strides in small car craftsmanship, quality of materials and product choice while continuing to represent traditional strengths of practicality, value for money, agility and safety. It also brings a host of big-car features to the small-car segment for the first time.

“The new Ford Fiesta is an example of how good a small car can be,” said Jim Farley, Ford’s group vice president, Marketing and Communications. “The Fiesta is great to look at, great to drive and it has quality you can see, feel and touch. It’s going to be an important growth product for North America.”

A key Ford Fiesta strength throughout its life has been its acclaimed driving quality, and the new model intends to uphold this reputation. Ford’s dynamics engineers also worked hard to enhance Fiesta’s ride comfort and isolate road, wind and powertrain noise from the cabin, and to give the new model an impressively quiet driving quality for a small car.

Fiesta for a New Generation

The all-new Fiesta opens another chapter in the story of the popular Ford small car that has sold more than 12 million units since its introduction in 1976 and represented real change when it came on the automotive scene. While it has moved with the times and fashions over the years, it has remained steadfast in its dedication to providing economical, practical and dependable transportation for people of all ages.

Starting in the early 1970s, the Fiesta project became a personal mission of Ford’s Chairman, Henry Ford II. A passionate believer in small cars, Ford rallied his company to the mission of creating a new model. He personally was involved in every step of the long process that led to the grand opening of the new automotive assembly plant in Almusafes, Valencia, with the attendance of the newly crowned King of Spain, Juan Carlos.

With the global fuel crisis as extra incentive, at the end of 1973, the Ford Board of Directors gave Project Bobcat, as it was originally known, the go-ahead for development and production. Fiesta didn’t get its name until 1974, when Ford whittled down a list of 50 potential names to just five. The final choice went to Henry Ford II, and his preference for Fiesta was entirely appropriate given the creation of the new manufacturing plant in Spain.

In Europe, the new Fiesta will be built at Ford’s Valencia manufacturing facility in Spain beginning in early 2009 alongside the Cologne manufacturing plant, which starts production in fall 2008.

A production announcement for the Ford Fiesta in Asia will be announced in April at the Beijing Motor Show. A North America announcement will come at a later date.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Fiesta 2008 #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

That dashboard looks like Darth Vader.
    You can't possibly get everything you want...

...but it would be stupid not to try.

WOW ! Ford shooting themselves in the foot again

So "worldwide" platform won't reach the US until 2010 ? That'l be about the time the RoW is getting an improved versions.

Am tempted to set up an import business for the 2008 versions and take all of Ford's business.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The problem with such a fact, Matra, is that the US version will be closer to the Verve concept - IE a sedan.

hatchbacks + America = do not want.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

"do not want" ... at what price ?
    Ford US lose money ... Ford Europe/RoW make money ..... and Ford stick with their idea of the market needs

But yeah, the 2 years to get a sedan version for the US market does accoutn for the "delay" in bringing it to the market. But why not sell the hatchback in the meantime ??? And the sedan will likely be on the current platform and thus out of date in 2 years compared to the rest -- so not really a "wordwide" car.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Hatches are generally not large sellers in the US - although that can also be put down to the quality of car being sold as much as the actual shape it takes

I'd be interested to see how well this car would sell in the US - My guess is not very well, unfortunately. It doesn't have the Badge Cache or retro-funk of the Mini, thus it won't be bought because it's cool, and it's nowhere near large enough for the Average tastes. I mean when a Chevy Cobalt is considered Small.......

I don't think it would sell particularly well in America either, not quite big enough to fit average tastes, and not small enough for buying as a tiny city run about, ie Smart buyers. Does look quite sporty and radical though which might earn some points among some buyers.

Very nice (see quite a bit of Mazda in there - no bad thing for Ford)... Whereas the Fiat 500 will sell on looks, this car will sell on how good it is. I personally still prefer the 500, but i think Ford have made a very nice looking car here. I like the interior, but i dunno what's stopping me from loving it; something is tho.
    Anyway, good on ya Ford for making a nice car.

wow now that is hot. people who own last years fiesta will be P*SSED.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Hatches are generally not large sellers in the US - although that can also be put down to the quality of car being sold as much as the actual shape it takes

I'd be interested to see how well this car would sell in the US - My guess is not very well, unfortunately. It doesn't have the Badge Cache or retro-funk of the Mini, thus it won't be bought because it's cool, and it's nowhere near large enough for the Average tastes. I mean when a Chevy Cobalt is considered Small.......
    Well the have Honda Fit (Jazz) and the Toyota Yaris, so who knows.

And judging by the Mazda 2, this is going to be a good car.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    That's you then?

I think Fords design team must have had a recent slap round the face, this is one wicked looking car. Overtones of Mazda 2 everywhere. Not too keen on the dash, but it seems ergonomic, a little too 2003 Nissan Primera-ish...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    First thing's first: We'll see how that changes once US fuel prices raise to European levels. The fact of the matter is that Americans don't need stupidly obese cup-holder filled chunks of cheap plastic that are held to the road with leaf-springs and solid axles. Just like you don't need leprosy.

There also seems to be a common misconception that cars such as the Fiesta are somehow "too small" to physically fit Americans inside. C'mon, they're not all shaped like a football! Despite being from a smaller "class" of car, my C4 has more interior space than a Lexus GS300 - the same is true with many latest-gen cars. I'm quite sure the new Fiesta will be capacious enough to be a family of four's second car with no problems.

In fact, if I gave my honest opinion of a lot of new cars these days, they're too big (and heavy) for the job. My C4 weighs nearly 1,300kgs, and I wouldn't want anything smaller than my 1.6HDi pulling it along. Fortunately that unit cleverly balances power and economy. Another example is the latest GM Corsa: I have the previous-gen 1.4 3-door (960kgs), which manages 0-60 in 10.5 seconds. However the latest model with the same engine takes about 12 seconds to get to 60, probably due to it being well over 100kgs heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    but i dunno what's stopping me from loving it; something is tho.
    Habit, maybe? Are you too used to looking at "the norm" and unwilling to consider anything else? That IS the problem that faces European cars/manufacturers that try to break in to the US market. Usually, when I mention my diesel hatch to Americans, they cringe. If they actually drove one though, I think they'd find it enlightening.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    Lol, I have a friend who bought one on the first day of the "57" plate. I'm wondering what his reaction will be to the new shape. I'd rib him a bit about it, but TBH considering his taste in cars I don't think he'll like the styling of this new Fiesta too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh_terfall View Post
    That's you then?
    I think Fords design team must have had a recent slap round the face, this is one wicked looking car. Overtones of Mazda 2 everywhere.[/QUOTE]

Agreed in the most part - the new Mondeo is leagues better than any of the previous versions, the MPVs they currently sell are both great and the facelifted parts of the Focus make it look much better - not "outstanding" mind, just better.

As for this Fiesta: I'm guessing that it's based on the same platform as the new Mazda 2; therefore it should be lighter than the car it replaces, which is fantastic! Especially considering the uninspired trend of "bigger is better" that's sweeping across the car industry at the moment.

Despite that though, the basic shape of this car gives me the impression it's still going to be huge for a supermini. Ford have recently supersized their European model line-up, the Mondeo is now as large as an Audi A6, and the Focus feels like a Transit in terms of width and height. The Fiesta would do well to stay the same size, as excess isn't tasteful or advantageous. On the other hand, although the shape gives an impression of a large car, Ford's design department are good at "covering it up" with lots of lovely little details. They've managed to make a box look slightly "sexy".

The interior looks fantastic all-over though IMO. It's interesting, well-designed and looks as though it would be ergonomic and built from high-quality materials (unlike the current Focus, I might add). I'm hoping one of the fascia panels conceals a pocket that's designed to house an MP3 player (or other gadgets), as most cars that do have an AUX IN port as standard still don't have a good place to put an iPod when you're on the move.

I await further details...

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh_terfall View Post
    Not too keen on the dash, but it seems ergonomic, a little too 2003 Nissan Primera-ish...
    Sorry, don't agree - this is a positive step for Ford if they manage to pull it off.
    Last edited by Clivey; 02-24-2008 at 04:18 AM.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I have to agree completely Clivey, the supersize me trend of current cars is just wrong. The thing is weight kills everything, fuel economy, performance, handling, the lot. Thankfully, though, this new generation of Ford/Mazda superminis seems to head in the opposite direction which can only be good news.

(Yes the Fiesta is based in the 2)
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    First thing's first: We'll see how that changes once US fuel prices raise to European levels. The fact of the matter is that Americans don't need stupidly obese cup-holder filled chunks of cheap plastic that are held to the road with leaf-springs and solid axles. Just like you don't need leprosy.

The US will probably not get to the same fuel costs as Europe for a very long time. If you believe the naysayers, of course, "THE END IS NEIGH!11!, DRIVE HYBRID!!!1"

Americans don't need cheap chunks of plastic and eleven billion cupholders, but what they WANT is a car thats practical to their conditions, and that means it needs to be fairly sizable to not only appeal to their ego, but to their safety concious side (while small car manufacturers can be applauded for making little cars safe, you can't argue with a 4,000 pound truck smacking into you to ruin your day. And to top it off, the height of these vehicles often means they go right over the top of these smaller cars.

There also seems to be a common misconception that cars such as the Fiesta are somehow "too small" to physically fit Americans inside. C'mon, they're not all shaped like a football! Despite being from a smaller "class" of car, my C4 has more interior space than a Lexus GS300 - the same is true with many latest-gen cars. I'm quite sure the new Fiesta will be capacious enough to be a family of four's second car with no problems.

I'm not saying it'll not fit the passengers in the car. I'm saying it's Physically not large enough to pass muster on American roads. Size matters

In fact, if I gave my honest opinion of a lot of new cars these days, they're too big (and heavy) for the job. My C4 weighs nearly 1,300kgs, and I wouldn't want anything smaller than my 1.6HDi pulling it along. Fortunately that unit cleverly balances power and economy. Another example is the latest GM Corsa: I have the previous-gen 1.4 3-door (960kgs), which manages 0-60 in 10.5 seconds. However the latest model with the same engine takes about 12 seconds to get to 60, probably due to it being well over 100kgs heavier.
    So let me get this straight. you're now comparing everything to your C4?

Small cars are getting larger. It's what the customer demands. More safety? More weight. More equipment? more weight. More Interior room? Make the car larger. Car manufacturers can't defy the laws of physics - you fit more in a car, it needs to get larger.

It's the sad reality and while Manufacturers like Mazda work smarter, not harder to make their cars lighter so as to be more efficient, other manufacturers choose to focus their efficiency drives elsewhere.

It's an unfortunate trend thats symptomatic of the current "I Want everything" culture in buyers. The problem is, most manufacturers are willing to give it to them.

Thread Information