Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Jobs

Summer Jobs

Was reading about jediali's Job in his thread and wanted somewhere to talk about my new job. Thought a thread about the younger generation and the jobs they get over the 3 months of summer to fund the other 9 months of drinking...

I started working on monday at Tyco Electronics. They are a fiber optics and computer component manufacturing company, although in the factory i work in we only handle the fiber optics. As a company Tyco are the 125th biggest in the world and they bought out the factory (previously Cormec) to manufacture fiber optic cables.

Its a right laugh working there. It gets quite repetative sometimes, i work in packing so we handle all the finished products and make sure they get out on time. So far i have handled products for companies like Cable & Wireless, BT and Siemens. The BT stuff was the most interesting. 6km of indoor cable split into 15m cables, individually packaged.

So yeah, can be boring at times but the people there are really nice to talk to. I just keep thinking about the money i will have to spend on gadgets and beer come the start of my next year at Uni. A Logitech G25 is top of the list...
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

Good luck there, I've been working at a large hotel/spa/conference centre in town since early March. I'll continue to work there over the summer but once college is out of the way I'll be planning on finding another job to top the funds up. Don't know where yet, hopefully at a car dealership but most likely in a shop. Trouble is in in France for 2 weeks in late July/early August and then Switzerland for 10 days in the middle of August, about 6/7days after I get back from France...
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

can't get another job with more hours, have compulsory prac work damnit
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

yeah i pretty much work at KFC... thats all. soon be getting a better job

I work at a drag strip during the summer. Good looking cars and women ftw.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Wasn't Tyco's CEO involved in some huge scandal? Using company money to buy his own stuff?

Cool stuff. I volunteered at a rehabilitation hospital. I'm definitely going back, but maybe I'll go for a paying position.

Mafia.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Still working at the grocery store.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Second job at a Hotel. Night shift FTL.
    The Datto will rage again...

Kings Cross.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    Wasn't Tyco's CEO involved in some huge scandal? Using company money to buy his own stuff?
    I don't know, but as i said, i am working for Cormec, but they have been bought out and re-branded to Tyco. The original CEO of Cormec is still there and works as MD at the Factory.
    Just call me Tom

Please visit www.tomranson.com and make me feel loved.

I got a job at a small classic(ish) BMW dealer, I think it's going to last past the summer though..
    " Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
    - Earnest Hemingway

I'll be working long days at the regular job. Will be working from 10 to 10, doing the usual. Visiting terminals, go through the security screening, drive to the vessel, put on helmet and get the guys offboard if they ain't waiting. Every now and then we deliver an order on board a.k.a. as walking around with big bucks (last month i had 1100$ in my pocket !!!) or drive to a supplier to pick up stuff (regularly been to Antwerp now).

It's the best job ever. You get to see interesting maritime stuff from nearby, have interesting chats and get to know other cultures, drive around a lot, have a good pay AND every now and then the duty-free cigarettes or alcohol. My co-workers are really funny as well I really enjoy it !

ps:
    also gets me a lot of extra hits on my site, i dropped of my card at every terminal and plenty taped it against the window. This summer I hope to get some more assignments by the companies and rights of entrance as photographer. Saturday i'll be on a tug anyhow, cannot wait !

For me it's the usual stuff too: delivering mail and fighthing fires... Should be fun this summer.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Thread Information