Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome To Uzbekistan

Welcome To Uzbekistan

In this thread I will put a number of cars that I recently shot in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. (with a Panasonic Ixus). Most cars are Russian made, and these are still abundantly around. In order to protect its own local car industry (in fact it is owned by Daewoo, and probably the only factory outside Korea in the world that still produces Daewoos rather than Chevrolets) there are very high import levies on new and second hand imported cars (except from Russia). The streets are full with Ticos, Matizzes and Nexias, but many old and new Russian cars are in full use still. (Contrary to Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan where most have been replaced by Western cars).
    I spent an two hours on the on an early Saturday morning, before temperatures reached their normal 35 plus, so here is the result. Not everything is top notch, I also had to take the privacy of people into account.
    I'll put on the pictures first and then edit-in the names.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

so first pic is a Lada (1600 I think), 2 and 5 are the venerable Zaporoshytz, 3 is the Gaz 21 Volga, 4 is Volga 3110, and 6 is an older Zhiguli/Lada, probalby a 1200.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 06-19-2008 at 05:41 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

first pic is the second version of the Gaz21, 2 and 3 is the Izh Combi, 4th is a Moskvitch 412, Number five I was once told what it is but I forgot..., 6 is a Dogan, a Turkish built version of the Fiat 131, which has been used as a taxi, but was also privately sold.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-19-2008 at 05:43 AM.

1 a leter version of the Volga, 2 a bling-bling Lada 1600, 3rd, Gaz 21 Mk2, 4 is a Daewoo Prince, (probably based on the Opel Vauxhall Senator, but I can't remember having seen it in Korea), 5th is a Moskvitch 412, and 6 is a Zhiguli Combi, a body style nerved used by Fiat.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-19-2008 at 05:45 AM.

1 is the little Oka, made in the Ukraine if I am not mistaken, 2 is the original Niva, 3 is a two door Lada Samara, 4 is the new Chevrolet Niva, 5 is an old Gaz (?) Jeep, six is Moskvitch 412
    Last edited by henk4; 06-19-2008 at 05:46 AM.

Nr. 1, the original Gaz21 Nr 2 a Volga 3110, 3 a modern Lada 1118, number 4 a brand new Zhiguli, they can still be bought new after 40 years, 5 is a 5-door Lada Samara and six a well maintained Lada 1600.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-19-2008 at 05:48 AM.

1 a Moskvitch 2141 Aleko (based on the original Simca 1108), number is the Moskvitch 408, in the highly desirable 4-tone version, 3 is the ur-Zaporoshets, and 4 shows the newer version slightly pimped.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-19-2008 at 05:49 AM.

I'm digging that tricked out Lada 1600

Seriously, cool to see all those cars. Reminds a lot of my vacations to the Czech Republic. Never seen so many rusty cars in my life...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

The Oka. Does anyone know if it shares some research on components with the Trabant designs that were never produced ???

Great, Pieter
    Some amendments, though. Zhighuli names were different for domestic and export markets, but since Uzbekistan was a part of Soviet Union, they used domestic names there. So, post 2 pic 1, #4 pic 2 and #6 pic 6 - VAZ 2106. The 2106 version can be easily deferred from other Zhiguli models by four headlamps. 2103 had four, too, but they were designed in a bit different way, and actually 2106 was a further development of 2103.
    The last photo in #2 is a VAZ 2101 - the first version of Zhiguli and the most similar to Fiat's 124. Combi was called 2102 in USSR market (#4 pic 6). -01 and -02 both have the same front end with two big round headlamps, just as Fiat did.
    The car you have identified as 1118 is actually 1119 - the same car (Kalina), but with different body - 1118 is a 4-door sedan.
    Oka was made at VAZ, Kamaz and Seaz factories at least, maybe somewhere else, I don't know for sure, but I actually haven't heard of Ukrainian Oka's. The car's index is 1111 (thus, VAZ 1111, Kamaz 1111 or Seaz 1111 accordingly).
    BTW, what did you mean by a 'brand new' Zhiguli? This exact modification (2107) was made since 1982.
    The one you have forgot the name of is called ZAZ 1102 Tavria and was made in Ukraine, at the same plant as Zaporozhets.
    Eh..about Volgas.. 21 Mk2 sounds cool, but these car were called GAZ 24 (the one with a chromed grille) and 2410 (an updated version with a black grille).
    The Jeep is GAZ's, you're right. Had a '69' index.
    Moskvitch in #4 is actually an Izh 412 - they have different front ends. Basically the same car, but a bit modified.
    Last edited by faksta; 06-19-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Great, Pieter
    Some amendments, though. Zhighuli names were different for domestic and export markets, but since Uzbekistan was a part of Soviet Union, they used domestic names there. So, post 2 pic 1, #4 pic 2 and #6 pic 6 - VAZ 2106. The 2106 version can be easily deferred from other Zhiguli models by four headlamps. 2103 had four, too, but they were designed in a bit different way, and actually 2106 was a further development of 2103.
    The last photo in #2 is a VAZ 2101 - the first version of Zhiguli and the most similar to Fiat's 124. Combi was called 2102 in USSR market (#4 pic 6). -01 and -02 both have the same front end with two big round headlamps, just as Fiat did.
    The car you have identified as 1118 is actually 1119 - the same car (Kalina), but with different body - 1118 is a 4-door sedan.
    Oka was made at VAZ, Kamaz and Seaz factories at least, maybe somewhere else, I don't know for sure, but I actually haven't heard of Ukrainian Oka's. The car's index is 1111 (thus, VAZ 1111, Kamaz 1111 or Seaz 1111 accordingly).
    BTW, what did you mean by a 'brand new' Zhiguli? This exact modification (2107) was made since 1982.
    The one you have forgot the name of is called ZAZ 1102 Tavria and was made in Ukraine, at the same plant as Zaporozhets.
    Eh..about Volgas.. 21 Mk2 sounds cool, but these car were called GAZ 24 (the one with a chromed grille) and 2410 (an updated version with a black grille).
    The Jeep is GAZ's, you're right. Had a '69' index.
    Moskvitch in #4 is actually an Izh 412 - they have different front ends. Basically the same car, but a bit modified.
    I hoped you would come along for the proper i-ds...
    so the Ukraine was right, but it concerned another car....
    and a brand new Zhiguli, well it was brand new, you can see it when a car is new, it was parked every day in front of the place where we had our daily lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    and a brand new Zhiguli, well it was brand new, you can see it when a car is new, it was parked every day in front of the place where we had our daily lunch.
    Well, I thought you meant a 'new model'. And now I see you meant the exact car. Yes, AFAIK they're still made somewhere, maybe even at several factories.

Interesting cars. Thanks for sharing.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Haha, I'm guessing the chances of getting a Lada registered in the US is none to none.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Is nice. In car (yes?) is much more room for wife to pedal? Is much more advanced than 1980s car design we copy from Fred Flintstone.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

Thread Information