Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

Go Back   Ultimatecarpage.com forums > General forums > Multimedia > Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-20-2010, 08:54 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,072
This car may be good, but it won't be a good Lotus.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
No it isn't.

Macs, Zondas, Enzos and Carrera GTs amongst others disagree.

In any case, not interested at all in this.
You don't even have to go that exotic. Since when have American cars (Corvette and Viper) become the light weights? Compared to a Lotus?

And it's not even a real 4 seater for that weight, it's described as just a 2+2. A Mustang GT weighs less and gives you 4 full seats. Granted there's a bit less power, but it also costs a heck of a lot less if this is aimed at the 6 series.

This is worse than a porsche SUV. This is... wrong.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
digitalcraft's Avatar
digitalcraft digitalcraft is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,873
Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
Yeah it's heavy. It's not an elise or exige. Its more in the Esprit line of lotus. Hopefully they do come up with a successor to the lightweight hornet themed cars, since this isn't, but I think on it's own, it's a worthy car.
__________________
I dont if I'll make home tonight
But I know I can swim
under the Tahitian moon
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,072
They are supposedly moving upmarket, so the lightweight cars of the past may be going by the wayside. Sad times indeed. Hopefully they keep a model or two light for the pure and Locust...isti.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
Roentgen's Avatar
Roentgen Roentgen is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,191
Auckland, NZ
Send a message via MSN to Roentgen
I was hoping they were making a new Esprit... a new light weight super car... something like a Gallardo/458 Italia competitor, not a big GT... kinda disappointed.
__________________
www.flickr.com/photos/maestro_ng
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:52 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
They are supposedly moving upmarket, so the lightweight cars of the past may be going by the wayside. Sad times indeed. Hopefully they keep a model or two light for the pure and Locust...isti.
The problem with that is they never do. As the rest of the brand moves upmarket they never keep selling something as pure as the earlier cars.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwgkd View Post
The problem with that is they never do. As the rest of the brand moves upmarket they never keep selling something as pure as the earlier cars.
Porsche has the GT3 still.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Ferrer's Avatar
Ferrer Ferrer is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 33,266
Barcelona
Send a message via MSN to Ferrer
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
Yeah it's heavy. It's not an elise or exige. Its more in the Esprit line of lotus. Hopefully they do come up with a successor to the lightweight hornet themed cars, since this isn't, but I think on it's own, it's a worthy car.
The Esprit never weighted more than 1350kg. Even with a twin turbo V8.
__________________
Lack of charisma can be fatal.
Visca Catalunya!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
wwgkd's Avatar
wwgkd wwgkd is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,585
Wishing I was in Moscow, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
Porsche has the GT3 still.
Which is heavier and available with a lot more luxury items than earlier models. Plus I'm not convinced the next model will survive as well as this one. I think the fact that this engine isn't compatible with the PDK may have helped the cause.

Edit: Also, the 911 hasn't really made a huge move upmarket, and the GT3 has been the homologation model for a while. Which probably helped dampen the corpusculence a bit.
__________________
Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Last edited by wwgkd; 09-20-2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: added thought
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:15 AM
:Exige:'s Avatar
:Exige: :Exige: is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,373
East Sussex, England
As Wouter's article says, it's a rival for the 6-series, which is about the same weight. Hardly heavy for its class, and a god-damn miracle for a hybrid.

And then look at it in perspective and you'll realise how anal you're all being:
The Elise S2 is 65% heavier than the Lotus Elan S1.
The new Elite is 57% heavier than the previous Elite.

Yes. New cars are going to be heavier (Safety, Emissions regs etc etc). Because of these regulations it is unavoidable. And yes, a car with a 600bhp engine is going to be heavier than a car with a 2-litre engine. You can't make a sports tourer with a tiny little torqueless engine because of the compulsory weight of airbags etc etc. And unfortunately there isn't a market for a sports tourer which has little torque, a 120mph terminal speed and a slightly over-average acceleration (ie. hot hatch, low-end saloon territory) when in the same bracket you can get a 180mph German luxury car.

Making a lightweight sports tourer today would result in a car which was below average in every field. And not making a sports tourer at all would put Lotus in the same predicament as TVR.

Last edited by :Exige:; 09-21-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 AM
IBrake4Rainbows's Avatar
IBrake4Rainbows IBrake4Rainbows is offline
For Great Justice.
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 14,581
For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
Send a message via MSN to IBrake4Rainbows
Never let the facts get in the way of nostalgic bollocking, :Exige:.

Nothing will ever be as good as it once was, back in my day, etc...
__________________
<cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 AM
:Exige:'s Avatar
:Exige: :Exige: is offline
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,373
East Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
Never let the facts get in the way of nostalgic bollocking, :Exige:.

Nothing will ever be as good as it once was, back in my day, etc...
But bitching about Lotus is very much like punching my metaphorical child in the face. In return, I stick my metaphorical genitalia of knowledge through your letter-box and piss luke-warm facts onto your carpet.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-21-2010, 06:06 AM
IBrake4Rainbows's Avatar
IBrake4Rainbows IBrake4Rainbows is offline
For Great Justice.
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 14,581
For Tax Purposes, Cayman Islands
Send a message via MSN to IBrake4Rainbows
My letter box isn't in my front door, but now my phone bill is all soggy and suspiciously warm.

Thanks for that.
__________________
<cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-21-2010, 07:44 AM
2ndclasscitizen's Avatar
2ndclasscitizen 2ndclasscitizen is offline
Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,832
Sydney, Down Under
Quote:
Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
But bitching about Lotus is very much like punching my metaphorical child in the face. In return, I stick my metaphorical genitalia of knowledge through your letter-box and piss luke-warm facts onto your carpet.
Glorious.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
– Hunter Thompson
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Kitdy's Avatar
Kitdy Kitdy is offline
Furniture
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by :Exige: View Post
And then look at it in perspective and you'll realise how anal you're all being:
The Elise S2 is 65% heavier than the Lotus Elan S1.
The new Elite is 57% heavier than the previous Elite.
That's one way of looking at it.

Another way of looking at is comparing contemporary Lotuses (Loti?) with competition. Offhand, I'd say the Elise is quite light compared to it's competition, the Elite is well... Probably light for a GT hybrid, but compared to straight up non-hybrid GTs? Not ultralight.

Also, consider that the S1 Elan began production in 1967, while the old Elite Type 75 began production in 1974, when cars were getting fatter. I don't know if that's a fair comparison is what I am saying.

I see your point, but it isn't so clear cut I don't think - I would say there are flaws in my argument as well. I mean, I can understand why people are upset about this.

The idea that Lotus is moving upmarket, away from their tradition is not what the Lotus faithful want.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lotus


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lotus Eterne Concept 2010 Ecnelis Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 17 12-29-2010 06:54 PM
GT4 whole car list!!!! Mustang Gaming 247 07-07-2010 08:06 AM
Lotus Evora 414E Hybrid Concept 2010 Ecnelis Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 5 03-02-2010 03:43 AM
Jaguar Concept Eight 2004 Matt Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 18 12-15-2005 05:06 AM
Ford Lightning Concept 2003 Matt Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out 5 09-11-2004 01:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.

 

© 1998 - 2019 Ultimatecarpage.com