Page 91 of 101 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1501

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

that and the fuel filter was the only thing i could think off, it chugs like a dog on petrol and then gets up and moves on LPG. will do filter this weekend and then get it tuned
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Hm, if the ECU hasn't relearned by now, then yes, I'd definitely look to some physical causes. Hope it doesn't amount to a big bill for you.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

the car was free so i'm not too worried. ECU is ancient tech so wouldn't be surprised if previous owner adjusted it to run on lpg and left it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

What is it?

it's an old rodeo ute. late 80's model i'd say. has the isuzu 2.4L motor.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Bah. Run LPG or throw it away lol the ECUs aren't so smart on those.

Sounds almost like the problem I have on my Echo, but I can't be bothered to address it.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Here are some animations showing various engines. The inline-6 one is useful for showing why they don't make good structural members in a race car.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Here are some animations showing various engines. The inline-6 one is useful for showing why they don't make good structural members in a race car.
    Look at that engine move about!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Look at that engine move about!
    Well, the engine would be stiffer with the head installed, but generally, yes, inline engines are less stiff.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Rather than create a whole Bigtime-like thread for it:
    Wouldn't it be fun to have a knob on the dashboard or steering wheel for CVT-equipped cars that controls the transmission?

It would be as gimmicky, and as silly, as paddle shifters on automatics and DCTs, but I would definitely like to try it. It could result in all sorts of stupid fun, like trying to maintain a constant speed while changing both the throttle and gear position.

I bring this up because, over on Jalopnik, there was a discussion of what transmission will dominate once the stickshift has ground its last gear. The choice was between torque-converter automatics, DCTs, and conical CVTs. Most people picked paddle-shifted DCTs, but in the few vehicles I've driven with paddles (only one a DCT), I've never been that compelled to actually use them. The CVT is an engineering curiosity to me and therefore I wanted to think of ways to make it more interesting.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

interesting idea. I thought that a CVT transmission always keeps the engine in the optimal rev band, so what additional control would you need? I grew up in DAF land so I have heard these transmissions since the early sixties...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Rather than create a whole Bigtime-like thread for it:
    Wouldn't it be fun to have a knob on the dashboard or steering wheel for CVT-equipped cars that controls the transmission?

It would be as gimmicky, and as silly, as paddle shifters on automatics and DCTs, but I would definitely like to try it. It could result in all sorts of stupid fun, like trying to maintain a constant speed while changing both the throttle and gear position.

I bring this up because, over on Jalopnik, there was a discussion of what transmission will dominate once the stickshift has ground its last gear. The choice was between torque-converter automatics, DCTs, and conical CVTs. Most people picked paddle-shifted DCTs, but in the few vehicles I've driven with paddles (only one a DCT), I've never been that compelled to actually use them. The CVT is an engineering curiosity to me and therefore I wanted to think of ways to make it more interesting.
    I think that idea is hilarious.

Wait, do you comment over there?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    interesting idea. I thought that a CVT transmission always keeps the engine in the optimal rev band, so what additional control would you need? I grew up in DAF land so I have heard these transmissions since the early sixties...
    Indeed, giving the driver control in today's cars is often counter-productive. Though there could be practical uses: gearing down for heavy loads, trailers, or ascending/engine braking down steep inclines. It would be mostly for the driver to play with, though, as I'm sure that the programming in modern ones could easily cope with all the aforementioned situations.

How did the old DAFs feel to drive? Have you driven a contemporary CVT, are they similar?

This is quite something: 1971 - 1972 Huron 4A Cosworth DAF Variomatic - Images, Specifications and Information Did the drivers have to adjust their style to drive something like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I think that idea is hilarious.

Wait, do you comment over there?
    Nah, sometimes they publish stuff from their forum (or whatever it's called) to the front page. They're a bit too much the stereotypical American car fans of the internet for me; everything is wagon this, or 883cc diesel hatchback that, and moaning about how everyone else gets everything cool.

Save the Celica Supra forums, I am largely faithful to UCP.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Nah, sometimes they publish stuff from their forum (or whatever it's called) to the front page. They're a bit too much the stereotypical American car fans of the internet for me; everything is wagon this, or 883cc diesel hatchback that, and moaning about how everyone else gets everything cool.
    Oh, I know.

I find the community hate for Autoblog, as well as the Gawker Media journalist/commentariat groupthink hilarious.

Go drive your rotary 'ute, you freaking enthusaist-faux-hipsters.

Infinite spiraling contrarianism FTW!

CVTs seem to be a bit of a conundrum for car companies. On the one hand it should be possible to make a CVT that's more efficient than any other kind of gearbox, because you can (in theory) always maintain the most efficient revs for the task at hand. It should also mean that you always have power when you need it, for the same reason. The 'box will just be where it is needed. On the other hand, you have the focus groups telling the marketing department that CVTs are weird and no one wants them, so the budget goes to making 8/9/10 speed autos instead, now that CVTs with a setting that emulates a conventional gearbox haven't worked.

From an enthusuist perspective I appreciate that manual, conventional gearboxes add to the fun of driving, but I don't see why CVTs aren't being developed for things like a Merc S-Class or a Roller, where smoothness is key and the engine is not there for fun. Or for a Smart type application, where economy is king [and the extant gearboxes suck anyway]. People seem fine with scooters, they've all had CVTs for years.. why not all small city cars?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Thread Information