Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari SP12 EC 2012

Ferrari SP12 EC 2012

Ferrari SP12 EC

Exclusively in the Ferrari Magazine the great English musician talks about his passion for Ferrari and his one-off model.

Maranello, May 28th - For a Ferrari enthusiast and great musician like Eric Clapton a one-off car just had to be produced. Designed by the Centro Stile Ferrari in collaboration with Pininfarina and the engineers from Maranello, the SP12 EC was created as homage to Clapton’s career and his long lasting experience as a Ferrari owner.

The world-famous guitar player has been attached to one particular Ferrari model: the 512 BB, of which he has owned three over the years. So his desire was to drive a car inspired by this model, with influences from the multi-award winning 458 Italia. Exclusively in the latest issue of the Ferrari Official Magazine Eric Clapton talks about his passion and how the idea of a one-off car was born.

Meticulous attention in terms of style and technology was paid to the proportions and architecture of the SP12 EC - which is part of Ferrari’s One-Off Programme – making this exceptional car even more significant. Just like music is created, applying the right notes in the right places to build a musical score, so was the creative process behind the SP12 EC.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (123.5 KB, 34 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (795.1 KB, 39 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (946.4 KB, 40 views)
    Last edited by Duell; 07-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.

I hope it is an automatic for Slowhand....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Shame they wouldn't put a V12 in there for him... probably.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I hope it is an automatic for Slowhand....
    Ba-dum-tish!

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Shame they wouldn't put a V12 in there for him... probably.
    "It wouldn't fit." Supposedly...

Eric Clapton, y u commission Ferrari to make an homage to one of the ugliest Ferraris!?!?

It turned out ok I suppose. I would like to see it in person or just with some more views though.

Mock-up, Pininfarina Museum in Cambiano (Torino)

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Eric Clapton, y u commission Ferrari to make an homage to one of the ugliest Ferraris!?!?
    Are you kidding? A matter of taste I guess, but the Berlinetta Boxers are among the most beautiful mid engine cars Ferrari built. The Testarossas and the 512 TR and the 512 M of the early '90s on the other hand, are hideous. Testarossas now sell for less than 308s because frankly nobody wants them.

Oh, I ain't kidding.

When I was a wee lad, I do remember seeing pictures of Testarossas adorning posters everywhere. I don't have the same recollection of the BBs.

I quite like the Testarossa. Haters gonna hate. It was really cool to get a ride in one of these cars that was an icon of my childhood a few years ago.

Fact: I want a 512TR.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Wow I love it!! The 512 BB was one of my dream cars when I was growing up and this looks even better. I love the red/black paint like the original 512 BB. Can you imagine how much this car is going to be worth if Clapton ever sells it?
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

What I don't understand is, that if you have the money to get a bespoke car, why base it on another one you already have (or can buy). And it won't look like the original anyway...

I'd prefer something unique rather than have something that tries to be something that it isn't. Retro has to stop.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Kitdy:
    I do remember seeing pictures of Testarossas adorning posters everywhere.
    Sarah Jessica Parker is on the cover of a lot of magazines that doesn't make her any better looking than she really is.

I don't have the same recollection of the BBs.
    The Testarossa was the car from "Miami Vice" and got a lot of exposure because of that, and if you say the "Miami Vice" car was a Daytona I suggest you check from the 3rd season on. I've had this argument with some kid who's never seen the show and just saw the album cover for the soundtrack.

The reason the BBs never got the same poster treatment was A, because it never got that kind of exposure the Testarossa got, Most people knew of the Testarossa because of "Miami Vice" And B, was never imported legally in the U.S. The BBs and the Lambo Countach created the grey market industry. Enzo Ferrari thought the demand for the BB would not be enough to justify federalizing them, with good reason, when the BB was introduced the U.S. just experienced its first oil crisis, The last of the Daytonas were not selling, As a matter of fact you could find Daytonas still untitled into 1975. But even then people were importing 365 GT/4 BBs, Clint Eastwood had a 365 Boxer. By the time the 512 BB came around the grey market companies have had experience and has earned good reputation. So more of them were imported. Ferrari didn't think reengineering a car nearing the end of its production cycle would make sense. So they put all their resources on making the Testarossas U.S. ready.

Ferrari SP12 EC from Goodwood 2013

I love it

If you wanna hang out, you got to take her out... Cocaine...

Still hoping that one day Eric will visit Top Gear for an interview, although he already played a small part in a road-test.

Ferrari really should let me know when they build a car in my honor. Im still waiting for key delivery.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Thread Information