Thread: Connaught Type D V10 Hybrid

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!

Connaught Type D V10 Hybrid

just found this while i was searchin for wallpaper pics. http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-Connaught-Type-D.htm
    its a hybrid with a small 2 liter v10 engine, seating of 4 (2+2), and gets 42 mpg. i think its a good idea, and leans towards big engines while utilizing hybrids to meet emiisions as well as getting better mpg. replies, comments, likes/dislikes, etc. all welcome.
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Great drivetrain ideas, seems to me that the Honda S2000 could be an absolute screamer with a similar idea. More torque for everyday, but retain the 9000 rpm redline for tracks. Back to the Connaught, I'm not too crazy about the design. Looks like it's trying to seems like a muscle car, but without the oomph it doesn't seem right.

It's been on the site for quite a while: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2075
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!
    oops... sorry about that, didn't check the site. well... mods, deal with it as you wish., (i think).
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

well, it is one those cars where you may ask the question what the intentions are. A 2.2 litre Toyota D4D Clean Power Diesel engine gets the same or better economy as this car and pours out 177 BHP. Why on earth are they going for a complex V10 with such a small capacity?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

^^Marketing. Sounds good doesn't it? What surprising is the lack of torque for a diesel, 142 lb/ft. Probably because of the very short stroke. Short stroke is advantageous in a high revving engine, doesn't make sense in a diesel.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

With a V10, 2liter configuration each combustion chamber is only 200cc.
    You're not going to get a lot of force out of the combustion, so no real torque.
    It's stupid
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    ^^Marketing. Sounds good doesn't it? What surprising is the lack of torque for a diesel, 142 lb/ft. Probably because of the very short stroke. Short stroke is advantageous in a high revving engine, doesn't make sense in a diesel.
    it is no diesel, it is petrol, maximum power at 6000 revs
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    it is no diesel, it is petrol, maximum power at 6000 revs
    I guess I assumed it was a diesel because of the low output figures and good mileage and because you brought up the Toyota D4D. The S2000's 2.2 liter makes about 240 hp but doesn't get this kind of mileage.

Recently I read about a VW diesel concept sports car that has great performance and something like 80 miles per gallon of oil. Can't remember what it's called.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2516

I brought up the Toyota, because i am always puzzled why factories still combine petrol engine with an electric motor. A sole diesel does the job perfectly in every aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&carnum=2516

I brought up the Toyota, because i am always puzzled why factories still combine petrol engine with an electric motor. A sole diesel does the job perfectly in every aspect.
    Thanks for the EcoRacer link, fantastic concept.

I think that hybrids have a real future. Maybe not in there current form but the advantages of a hybrid setup cannot be underestimated. The internal combustion engine is not a very efficient design. There are losses in heat, friction, and only part of the energy of the fuel can be captured. The hybrid systems just capture some of this otherwise wasted energy.

Sure it may be complex but how much more complex are todays cars than a decade or two ago and much more reliable at the same time.

What puzzles me is why they aren't using diesels in hybrids. The low rev, high torque nature of diesels would be much better suited. I suspect some understanding between manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Thanks for the EcoRacer link, fantastic concept.

I think that hybrids have a real future. Maybe not in there current form but the advantages of a hybrid setup cannot be underestimated. The internal combustion engine is not a very efficient design. There are losses in heat, friction, and only part of the energy of the fuel can be captured. The hybrid systems just capture some of this otherwise wasted energy.

Sure it may be complex but how much more complex are todays cars than a decade or two ago and much more reliable at the same time.

What puzzles me is why they aren't using diesels in hybrids. The low rev, high torque nature of diesels would be much better suited. I suspect some understanding between manufacturers.
    your last point is getting some recognition. Apparently Opel is doing some research in this field. Audi did the same with A4 TDI's about six or seven years ago, but concluded that the gains in efficiency were not good enough to justify the higher. Oil prices have gone up since, so the relative savings might substanstantially increase. Mercedes showed an S class diesel hybrid at the IAA a couple of months ago.

One of the elements here is called marketing. Hybrid savings over petrol engines look much more spectacular than those obtainable over diesel engines. Savings of hybrids diesels might be in the order of 10-15%, and taken in absolute figures (as money spend on the fuel pump) might still justify Audi's conclusion a number of years ago.

open question on the diesel/petrol in hybrids....

Running at the OPTIMUM rpm does a petrol efficiency match/exceed diesel ?
    Could this be why they start out wanting petrol ???

I'm not sure. With some time I'd go dig up the books on the efficiencies, but I'm too tired
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    open question on the diesel/petrol in hybrids....

Running at the OPTIMUM rpm does a petrol efficiency match/exceed diesel ?
    Could this be why they start out wanting petrol ???

I'm not sure. With some time I'd go dig up the books on the efficiencies, but I'm too tired
    Diesel has a much higher thermal efficiency...

Thread Information