Thread: 2012 Audi S8 To Get 520bhp

2012 Audi S8 To Get 520bhp

With all the attention being focused on the Audi S6 and RS6, it's easy to forget the company is also preparing to launch a redesigned S8.

That stops today as a new report is indicating the model will use a Bentley-sourced 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 that produces 520 hp (388 kW / 527 PS). If this is correct, the Audi would slot in between the 500 hp (373 kW / 507 PS) BMW B7 Alpina and the 537 hp (400 kW / 544 PS) Mercedes S63 AMG. Of course, weight and traction will play a factor, so it'll be interesting to see how the car compares when the official specifications are released.

Regardless, the Audi S8 is expected to be launched in the United States early next year.

from Worldcarfans
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't help but feel that 520bhp isn't worth the premium of paying for the 'S' badge, especially when I doubt we'll see a RS8 in the near future. I know it's ridiculous that nowadays 520bhp seems mediocre, but with top of the line Mercedes and BMW luxury sedans producing near or over 600bhp, settling for 520bhp seems to be settling for second best.

If I was at the Audi dealership with A8 money in my pocket I'd rather the 4.2 diesel, but then again I like diesels.

^ Well I don't know. Is there going to be an RS8? If there is, then 520hp seems more than enough for the S8, assuming the RS8 will have 650 or something.
    But they may not produce an RS8, for the same reason BMW don't make an M7. A fast, hard version of your big soft limo is a bit dumb.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING View Post
    ^ Well I don't know. Is there going to be an RS8? If there is, then 520hp seems more than enough for the S8, assuming the RS8 will have 650 or something.
    But they may not produce an RS8, for the same reason BMW don't make an M7. A fast, hard version of your big soft limo is a bit dumb.
    BMW doesn't make an M7; thats why they sell the B7 instead lol.

An RS8 would be very cool (something to take on the S65 perhaps?). This time when Audi builds the S8, it actually needs to be quick enough this time (not that the older S8 was slow or anything [and it had an amazing exhaust note], but it quite a bit behind the competition performance-wise).
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

I don't know if there's real plans for a RS8 or not, but what I do know is that if the S8 is to be the top of the line A8 platform variant, than 520bhp just doesn't cut it next to the 760 or S63 at both around 535bhp and the S65 at 621bhp. However what I find most annoying is this twin-turbo V8 Audi is using in everything now is expected to end up in the 2013/14 RS6 tuned to 592bhp - I just wish they'd tune it to 592bhp now.

And why not a million horsepowers?

The Audi A8 was fine, until Jaguar introduced the previous XJ. Then it lost its only plus point.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

considering their own V8 is an award winner, why the move to the bentley engine ?

Because the Bentley engine isn't a Bentley engine.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Because the Bentley engine isn't a Bentley engine.
    I think it's interesting how they're going from a Lambo 'sourced' V10 to a Bentley 'sourced' Turbo V8. I guess this means that the Audi experiment with V10s is over?

I guess this also means we will never see a car quite like the Turbo V10 from the RS6 again.
    "The Metric System is the tool of the Devil! My car gets 40 Rods to the Hogshead and that's the ways I likes it!" -Grandpa Simpson

It's all about emissions and regulations. Even if in the real world downsizing doesn't necessarily work.

(Altough one has to wonder if at this level downsizing applies at all...)
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I think it's interesting how they're going from a Lambo 'sourced' V10 to a Bentley 'sourced' Turbo V8. I guess this means that the Audi experiment with V10s is over?

I guess this also means we will never see a car quite like the Turbo V10 from the RS6 again.
    I guess they developed the V10 before the emission rules became that hard (and also before gas prices went trough the roof). They simply can't make their current V10 any more efficient.
    However, I don't think that Lambo will drop the V10 in the near future. They will further use it, maybe develope a new, less thirsty one.

If you can get a used V10 car, buy it. I guess we won't see much new ones.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Thread Information