Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Automatic

4 7.41%
  • Manual (Clutch)

50 92.59%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto or Stick?

Def agree that my experience of manual has been great so far. I never even considered an auto until I sat in my friends new GTi with DSG. It seemed like a great compromise of the ease of use in traffic, but it was the first 'box that seemed great when upshifting on its own, but also on manual over-rides, which seemed to respond pretty quick. If I was ever seriously considering, I guess I would have to try them both out.

But for now, my vote is with manual.
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    Yes.

Autos make me fall asleep, theyre boring, and definately do not make you focus more on driving (IMHO). plus, manuals you have more control over what the car is doing.
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_2 View Post
    Some cars offer ONLY Autos.
    While it may be unveliable in America, here some cars come only with manual gearboxes.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

my BMW was a manual. my Volvo is an Auto.

I have a feeling switch that around and it would be fairly hellish.

I don't want a sports car with a manual. but i don't want a cruiser with an automatic. so it needs to be tailored to the situation.

but for maintenance and fun factor. Manual hands down.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I prefer a manual. But then again an autobox is really handy these days. Our country is one big traffic jam anyway.
    Diesel + manual is great in traffic. And my car's gearbox isn't really tiresome in traffic. Now if I had a Countach... I'd probably prefer a manual in traffic.

I'd love to have a full manual with clutch pedal that you can somehow put into auto mode if you want. Put the lever in neutral, push the Auto button. And the clutch peddal disconnects and the computer does everything for you. That would be perfect. And I can't imagine that such a system is unfeasible.

So a manual and a DSG in one. Switching at the touch of a button.

IMO, manual is much better than automatic especially if you're playing Initial D version 3. Seriously, I prefer the greater control of a manual compared to automatic.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

I prefer "a european stick shifter" too, and judging by the poll results i don't have to explain/defend myself.
    autozine.org

My experience is limited to only newer (late 80's to nowadays) cars, and that doesn't include anything sporty, just usual family cars of different sizes.

When a car is used only to move from A to B, or in other way used as a tool (taxis, vans), then I value manual a bit higher than automatic, as I myself can use it faster. With an auto I sometimes have to look at the stick when using it to ensure that I put it in the right position, but I get used to different manuals and clutches in no time.

When there's anything more than mere transportation involved, manual naturally comes first and automatic is a poor option.

Here autos also usually cost more, so to me there's no comparison.

Well, I think all the arguments I could possibly find are already posted here, so I'll just say I prefer manual.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

I love clutches. especially since i learned to heel toe. but my clutch is dying right now. its been sticking and it feels really spongy. not a good thing. so i guess i'll be getting that swapped out this week.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    I love clutches. especially since i learned to heel toe. but my clutch is dying right now. its been sticking and it feels really spongy. not a good thing. so i guess i'll be getting that swapped out this week.
    It's funny you should mention that, the clutch in our Mini makes noises and feels strange. Also it's quite a hard clutch if you're used to soft clutches.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It's funny you should mention that, the clutch in our Mini makes noises and feels strange. Also it's quite a hard clutch if you're used to soft clutches.
    i love mine normally, but its freaking me out as of late. at low speeds it will sometime not let me take the car out of gear, or put it into gear if it is in neutral. this can usually be gotten around, but when you are pulling into your garage, and the clutch wont engage, so you are driving straight towards a wall.. thats a bad thing.

Its not really an issue with me, but if i had to pick it'd be manual. I learnt to drive in diesel Landcruisers and HiLux's, so i laugh at heavy clutches. I also have a good laugh when getting in an auto, and before starting i find myself trying to jiggle the gear shifter and stamping the foot rest.
    I am the Stig

I once read a qoute that said "Manuals are for impressing your highschool friends autos are for making money"
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440 View Post
    I once read a qoute that said "Manuals are for impressing your highschool friends autos are for making money"
    thats really dumb actually

I've had my own car for just over 4 years now. It's a manual and I wouldn't have it anyo ther way. Not saying autos are no good, they can be great for the right person. I just love the control and fun factor.

Thread Information