Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    Norway will win a lot.
    Not hockey, but the rest that is interesting.
    like running around on skies armed with a gun...may be we should also introduce a bow-and-arrow version.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    like running around on skies armed with a gun...may be we should also introduce a bow-and-arrow version.....
    Easy. We would win that to. Actually anything that is combined with skies.

that WOULD be interesting...
    although even with a gun, no idea how they keep their heart rate level enough to shoot straight superhuman!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    Easy. We would win that to. Actually anything that is combined with skies.
    Sprinting?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Well the Olypmics are upon us, with the opening ceremonies tonight.

Sadly, the Olympics will open on a negative note as Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili died after crashing in a practice run at Whistler's luge track this morning. He was just 21 years old.

It is very sad, watching the accident was a shock. Luge is dangerous enough, but this track is faster than any other. With so much speed, it's hard to understand why the track sides are open in some places, particularly where the steel supports are. There were sound criticisms of this track early on... they should have been heeded.

Not sure there's a fix that would be completely safe, but they must at least enclose the sections where quick transitions can get these guys airborne.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Yeah, that's pretty sad stuff.

On a side note, is anyone photographing the event? I am on a Nikon forum and there are very conflicting reports that DSLRs were not allowed. Some people have gotten in though with DSLRs.

As the Vancouver oval will be at almost sea level, the chances for world or olympic records are rather slim.
    Out of curiosity, why would that be a negative factor? it seems like at lower elevations the air is denser so the athletes lungs will have an easier time.

I probably wont watch the winter olympics. but if i happen to be watching tv and they are on, i really enjoy curling and hockey of course.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Out of curiosity, why would that be a negative factor? it seems like at lower elevations the air is denser so the athletes lungs will have an easier time.

I probably wont watch the winter olympics. but if i happen to be watching tv and they are on, i really enjoy curling and hockey of course.
    speed skaters love thin air, air resistence is much less than on sea levels. World records are now mostly scored at Salt Lake City (1300 meter above sea level) or Calgary (1000 meter).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Very sad the games begin on such a tragic note, if any of you saw the clip of the young Georgian's accident you know what i mean. That was absolutely awful.

I cannot wait for the hockey games.
    Go Canada!

Other than that i enjoy watching the Freestyle skiing, alpine skiing and long track speed skating...

And you are absolutely right, very few, if any, records will be set in skating because of the low altitude of the Richmond Olympic Oval.

Oh and ... WOOT for Portugal's 1 Athlete!!!!!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

well i'll be damned... new olympic record was just set... by a dutchman!!

LINK
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Wouter is probably partying already if the TV is correct on how crazy the Dutch are for speed skating....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I'm laughing at the weather. Raining on ski slopes and such, when the east coast is having record levels of snowfall.

Sad about the luger (is that how you say it?) but really it's a pretty dangerous sport to start with and I'm not sure how safe you could make it. Still, it does kind of make me wish some of the other Georgians would do well. At least that way we can help keep canada from getting gold...
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    well i'll be damned... new olympic record was just set... by a dutchman!!

LINK
    His world record (from Salt Lake) is about 10 seconds faster....

Correction: His world record was set in Calgary...not Salt Lake.
    Last edited by henk4; 02-14-2010 at 08:49 AM.

speed skaters love thin air, air resistence is much less than on sea levels. World records are now mostly scored at Salt Lake City (1300 meter above sea level) or Calgary (1000 meter).
    that definitely makes sense
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Thread Information