Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 2008 NASCAR Season

Quote Originally Posted by TS020 View Post
    When'd this start happening? In the past fine money has always gone back into the point fund.
    A couple years ago, Rusty Wallace suggested it. I don't think running carburators makes anything cheaper, just easier to make power. Anyone here watch the Nationwide or truck series?
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Lung View Post
    No tire discussion?

Tony Stewart Disses GoodYear
    fact is its probably very hard to make consistant NASCAR tires, the car is just too heavy and the footprint is too small for a car that size running at that speed.....at the end of the day they could complain, but realistically its the same statiscal chance for everyone....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The land of the free and home of the whopper!
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidStradale View Post
    A couple years ago, Rusty Wallace suggested it. I don't think running carburators makes anything cheaper, just easier to make power. Anyone here watch the Nationwide or truck series?
    Ah, I get it now.

And I do watch the Nationwide series reguarly, and the trucks on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    fact is its probably very hard to make consistant NASCAR tires, the car is just too heavy and the footprint is too small for a car that size running at that speed.....at the end of the day they could complain, but realistically its the same statiscal chance for everyone....
    Plus the new COT car going to tracks that it's never been on before also make it very difficult for Goodyear to make tires.
    roflcopter

What do you guys think about the new carb. spacer they run in the Nationwide series? I like it, it gives them higher corner speed and it makes for bigger pack racing.
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

What do you guys think about the new carb. spacer they run in the Nationwide series? I like it, it gives them higher corner speed and it makes for bigger pack racing.
    I like it too, but I think that it'll be a waste because NASCAR wants to give the Nationwide series its own car of tomorrow next season.
    roflcopter

I don't understand what do they have against COT though.....NASCAR is pretty much a spec series chassis wise, if everyone is driving the same car, the winner will more likely to be the more deserved winner, under the old car, a bigger team will definitely have an advantage, with the amount of windtunnel time, the setup sharing and the extra data. The old car the big team can make subtle changes to the body work(based on their extra R&D) and affect aero(and in a field where they are "supposed" to be the same, small advantages can make much bigger impact), where as with COT you HAVE to build that car. Sure it handles like a pig, but its the same pig for everybody....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

I doubt the Nationwide series will run their own COT, it would kill 3/4 of the teams in terms of costs, all the series regulars and owner/drivers would be gone. It would definitly be a bad move. As for the new car, it doesn't matter what kind of car they drive, the teams are still gonna push the gray areas of the rulebooks. They almost have to with everything being so equal. Everyone of those teams try to cheat sooner or later, some people are just smarter going about it or lucky enough to get away with it.

All Throttle, No Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    I don't understand what do they have against COT though.....NASCAR is pretty much a spec series chassis wise, if everyone is driving the same car, the winner will more likely to be the more deserved winner, under the old car, a bigger team will definitely have an advantage, with the amount of windtunnel time, the setup sharing and the extra data. The old car the big team can make subtle changes to the body work(based on their extra R&D) and affect aero(and in a field where they are "supposed" to be the same, small advantages can make much bigger impact), where as with COT you HAVE to build that car. Sure it handles like a pig, but its the same pig for everybody....
    True, the COT puts more emphasis on the driver on being able drive the car well rather than a teams' resources. But even there the big teams with the most money will still find little things to do to the car through extensive testing and rundowns on shaker rigs and such which smaller teams don't have the time or the funding to do.

I doubt the Nationwide series will run their own COT, it would kill 3/4 of the teams in terms of costs, all the series regulars and owner/drivers would be gone. It would definitly be a bad move. As for the new car, it doesn't matter what kind of car they drive, the teams are still gonna push the gray areas of the rulebooks. They almost have to with everything being so equal. Everyone of those teams try to cheat sooner or later, some people are just smarter going about it or lucky enough to get away with it.
    It hasn't been confirmed yet, but NASCAR says they want to introduce a COT to the Nationwide series for next season, it would have some of the same features as the Cup COT, but it wouldn't have the rear wing & splitter. And I agree, I don't like the idea as it would cost the small teams too much money to build a fleet of new cars that wouldn't improve their performance over the bigger teams and the cup teams fielding Nationwide cars.
    roflcopter

Congratulations to Jeff Burton on winning at Bristol. His RCR teammates Kevin Harvick, and Clint Bowyer finished 2nd and 3rd making it a Richard Childress Racing sweep. Harvick took out Stewart with two to go, and Hamlin, who had the lead, had fuel problems on the last lap. It's good to see Jeff Burton back in victory lane.
    Last edited by SolidStradale; 03-16-2008 at 04:30 PM.

All Throttle, No Bottle

Congratulations to Jeff Burton on winning at Bristol. His RCR teammates Kevin Harvick, and Clint Bowyer finished 2nd and 3rd making it a Richard Childress Racing sweep. Harvick took out Stewart with two to go, and Hamlin, who had the lead, had fuel problems on the last lap. It's good to see Jeff Burton back in victory lane.
    Jeff Burton is a very classy driver.
    roflcopter

Quote Originally Posted by TS020 View Post
    Jeff Burton is a very classy driver.
    Yes he is, he could of wrecked Kyle Busch last year at Bristol, but decided not to.

All Throttle, No Bottle

well this lasted long...

All Throttle, No Bottle

Whoops

Who'll win the Nationwide race at Mexico City?
    roflcopter

Nice. Well, the ringers look fast, as does Kyle Busch. Hate to say it, but I think Busch will win.

All Throttle, No Bottle

I think one of the ringers will win it, Stewart, Harvick and Hamlin aren't racing this weekend, and they're some of the better road racers in NASCAR. Bowyer, Edwards and Busch are decent, they'll run up front, but I don't think they'll win.

Colin Braun is the pole sitter.
    Last edited by TS020; 04-19-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    roflcopter

Thread Information