0 0%
  • Audi R8

3 21.43%
  • Chevrolet Corvette

4 28.57%
  • Nissan GT-R

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Porsche 911 vs. Jaguar F-Type vs. AMG GT vs. Audi R8 vs. Corvette vs. GT-R

Porsche 911 vs. Jaguar F-Type vs. AMG GT vs. Audi R8 vs. Corvette vs. GT-R

Well there's quite a spread in terms of price, but if you option the cheapest one quite a bit, they all end up within $20k of each other.

Which would you choose and why?

My take-

1. Audi R8
    2. Corvette- for pure value
    3. Porsche- the industry standard- nothing wrong with it, just the safe choice
    4. Jaguar- really pretty- no manual
    5. GT-R- your only option if you want something Japanese (the Lexus RC-F is too new)
    6. Mercedes- Butt ugly, boring and bland- the end

I might take the R8, looks pretty, only mid engined one in the group, and a gated shifter- possibly the last offered in the industry?

By the way, any other cars in the same general category that I missed?

Actually, you could add the GT-R too, but I'd put that about equal with the Jaguar.

EDIT- I realized the Viper is around the same price too. If I were to add the Viper in, I'd still rank it between the Jaguar and GT-R. It's lower because it's super expensive and not really good value for money. Plus it's a bit more crude than any of these cars. But it's still very special, and if I wanted something very flashy, I'd choose it. And kudos for keeping a manual, that's been very hard to do and the sales show. It hasn't been selling well at all.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 09-13-2014 at 08:10 AM.

I added a poll
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

1. Corvette. Money matters, and as a sports car, this one tops the list.
    2. R8. Mid-engined, still beautiful, but aging. Dat shifter.
    3. F-Type. This would rank higher if I liked its front end better. I don't care if it is not the purist's choice anymore; I'm no longer an 18 y/o bench racer. Less of a GT than the XK, more of a GT than any car on this list, barring maybe the Benz.
    4. GT-R. It feels so old now, I see them all the time, and I am bored. The NISMO is vaguely exciting, but I want Nissan to go ape"isht" all over this and do something silly like a Z-tune and really up the power. Or bring out the GT-R 2.0. I'm over it.
    5. AMG-GT. Dumb name. Vaguely ugly and awkward form the front, kinda nice ass, funny curvy Crossfire roofline. It will ride very well, and will have the finest quality interior of the bunch, along with Porsche and maybe Jag.
    6. 911. Ass-engined Nazi slot-car. You can't have your engine in the back in this day and age, no matter how refined, beautiful, and well done your car is. I want to love the 911 but then I remember its engine is way back of the axle. Nope.

1. Audi R8. I just never get tired of looking at it. All around the most interesting.
    2. Corvette. Because it drives so damn well. Best sound out of all of them (not including the AMG-GT).
    3. 911. I hate that I can't hate it. It's just too good.
    4. F-type. It looks too good to have it further down on the list, but I'm just not feeling the hype.
    5. AMG-GT. The design has me undecided; the rear end looks like that of a Z8. I have faith in the engineering.
    6. GT-R. You can make any car fast, but damn it if you can give this one sex appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    I added a poll
    Thanks, if you could change the poll to add the GT-R and add the GT-R in the title that'd be great too.

I really like the R8, and with winter tires, probably quite usable in the winter too.

AMG-GT: Neu Porsche 928. Expecially from the rear 3/4 view.

If you slung me the keys to any of them I'd be happy, but I'd probably choose the F-Type. Or the 911.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

1. Corvette: Value, content, and soundtrack seal the deal for me.
    2. 911: Reports are that the 991 is too large, but Porsche's had a very long time to perfect the design.
    3. R8: Trying to look past my bias against Audis, the R8 is attractive and has a manual.
    4. F-Type: Sweet sound, but it sounds synthetic to me. Certainly the classiest car of the lot.
    5. GT-R: An effective tool, but like eveything at this end of the list, missing a critical something.
    6. AMG GT: The Jaguar and Corvette play the front-engined V8 card far more deftly than the Benzo.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I've only had personal experience with the F-Type and the word you are looking for is excitement. Even the flappy paddle gearbox felt good.

You can't have a Corvette in Europe, so that's out.

The GT-R has clever engineering; I respect it but I do not want one.

The R8 intrigues me, it seems like an Audi you might actually want to drive but in this company it is outclassed.

In the end it's all down to either Porsche, Jaguar or Mercedes. The Porsche seems to be the one trailing behind, good but unimaginative. The Mercedes is beautiful and sounds good, but it seems like it will be expensive and I'd need a test drive to confirm it's good.

So for now it seems it'll be the V6S Jag.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I can't believe the Audi is leading (tied with the Jaguar)...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I can't believe the Audi is leading (tied with the Jaguar)...
    Oh I say, we can't have that nonsense.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    AMG-GT: Neu Porsche 928. Expecially from the rear 3/4 view.

If you slung me the keys to any of them I'd be happy, but I'd probably choose the F-Type. Or the 911.
    I have to agree, it would be about what it would look like if Porsche made a new 928. It would probably be lighter though.

I would be happy too with any of these cars. It's kind of like cameras, you really can't go wrong with any of them anymore.

I've only had personal experience with the F-Type and the word you are looking for is excitement. Even the flappy paddle gearbox felt good.

You can't have a Corvette in Europe, so that's out.

The GT-R has clever engineering; I respect it but I do not want one.

The R8 intrigues me, it seems like an Audi you might actually want to drive but in this company it is outclassed.

In the end it's all down to either Porsche, Jaguar or Mercedes. The Porsche seems to be the one trailing behind, good but unimaginative. The Mercedes is beautiful and sounds good, but it seems like it will be expensive and I'd need a test drive to confirm it's good.

So for now it seems it'll be the V6S Jag.
    Wait, is Chevy pulling out of Europe completely? I thought you could get them in the UK, just not in RHD.

Surprising that you wouldn't like the Audi. I do like the fact you can have it with a V10, but it would certainly blow the budget by 2x at least.

Also, I just realized, the Viper is around the same price category too, but it's not really the same type of car. Let's throw it in there too for fun.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 09-13-2014 at 08:15 AM.

I think you'll still be able to get the Corvette and Camaro from selected (Cadillac?) dealers, but still it's difficult, expensive and a bit of a no-no in Europe.

It's not that I don't like the Audi, it could be the first driver's Audis and I'd like to try it out, but against supercharged Jags, V8 Mercs and Godzillas is a bit of a non event, it doesn't stand out.
    Visca Catalunya!

Having thought about this, no, I don't think I'd pick the R8. The R8 V8 is a little anemic, and the V10 is much too expensive at over twice the price of the base C7, and twice that of the Viper.

I still love the 911, but given the recent price drop on the Viper, I'd be inclined to go that route.

How about the AM V8 Vantage? I realize it's getting old, but it falls right in the middle of this field price wise, and it, dare I say, looks prettier than most all of them.
    Turning money into memories.

It's not that I don't like the Audi, it could be the first driver's Audis and I'd like to try it out, but against supercharged Jags, V8 Mercs and Godzillas is a bit of a non event, it doesn't stand out.
    I think that is mostly a function of its age. When this came out, it was the isht. It looked like nothing else, was fast, comfortable, and usable.

Rasmus, imma use a similar line on the Vantage, but it was never close to as well done as its competitors as a GT or a performance car (barring sex appeal, and yes, it still looks damn good). Come on though, look at all this fresh metal!

I actually like the Vantage, it can be had with a manual, looks good and has an epic V8 engine.

I'd prefer it to the Audi R8 and, while it is true it is getting old, I don't think it would disappoint next to the Jag and the Merc.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information