Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Codemaster's F1 2010

Codemaster's F1 2010

End of the summer comes Codemasters F1 attempt. And by the looks of this vid, I don't think I'll be leaving the house

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqx29d3bynE[/ame]
    Last edited by TheScrutineer; 04-10-2010 at 07:05 AM.
    "This car is about as refined as a Glaswegian dock worker after 10 cans of special brew"

console game + recreating drama of racing = fail.....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    It's not just for consoles though...?

Codemaster have shown through their rally games and TOCA series that their focus is console and their PC version is just port. Which may as well be no PC version at all....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

hmm i'll have to buy this game and try it out b/c it looks pretty sweet. Hopefully my 183728th xbox won't blow up by the time it comes out.

Codemaster have shown through their rally games and TOCA series that their focus is console and their PC version is just port. Which may as well be no PC version at all....
    Didn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    hmm i'll have to buy this game and try it out b/c it looks pretty sweet. Hopefully my 183728th xbox won't blow up by the time it comes out.
    Surprisingly, I'm on my 3rd PS3. I had sent it in twice under warranty. Hope this one holds up.

Codemaster have shown through their rally games and TOCA series that their focus is console
    understandable, though..
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I didn't mind TOCA, i thought it was pretty fun and it had some real life tracks that Gran Turismo was missing. The big rig and ice races were really dumb tho

Have you played the original Colin McRae games and any of the TOCA series? While they can't match GTR2 or GP4 for realism they strike a good balance and can be much more playable. F1 2010 will have a much more advanced weather system than any racing game on the PC, and the developers have promised its going to be much more of a sim than DIRT2 or GRID.
    "This car is about as refined as a Glaswegian dock worker after 10 cans of special brew"

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrafan427 View Post
    I didn't mind TOCA
    TOCA 3 is the only reason I still keep an original Xbox around. Where it's no GTR2 or RBR it is still fun to play with the driver aids off and still get a console-sim feel. I'd venture to say that it is the best recent racing game for the consoles still. It had real tracks, large fields of cars, and wasn't too floaty (with driver aids off) like Grid and Forza. It's fun when you're not to serious to play GTR2 but don't want to play an overly easy and arcade-like game such as Grid and be on the front row in 3 three laps time.

I don't expect this F1 game to be a masterpiece sim like GTR2 but I just hope it's not a complete failure like Grid. If it turned out to be along the lines of TOCA 3 I would get it. TOCA 3's F1 was a fun part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by LTSmash View Post
    If it turned out to be along the lines of TOCA 3 I would get it. TOCA 3's F1 was a fun part of the game.
    The F1 in TOCA 3 was great, with the Williams F1 cars from the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s. TOCA 2 had a much more involving career mode, were you did literally move up through the ranks to finish in F1 (with bizarre fake cars that looked more like A1GP cars). This F1 game promises a great career mode as well, were you can play each driver (3-D modelled) and have side missions such as beat your team mate or even develop bits for your car in testing. Can't say GTR2 or rFACTOR have the same game modes.

That it will ahve a "Better weather system than on the PC" doesn't bode well in miy mind.
    Marketing hype of an irrelevant feature
    Get the REAL physics and damage models right and then when you add weather it will be realistic.
    I'm cynical and betting we're going to get FANTASTIC spray off the wheels in the wet and snap all wheel aquaplaning

Richard Burns rally had superb physics treatment but tends to get lost in discussions as it didn't have a gazillion tracks and thousands of fantasy cars.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Richard Burns rally had superb physics treatment but tends to get lost in discussions as it didn't have a gazillion tracks and thousands of fantasy cars.

That is an awesome game, in fact unbelievably realistic. I can manage to do about 20 laps in GTR2 or rFactor before having an off, in Richard Burns I'd be lucky to complete a stage! Would have another go at that if I hadn't had broken my PC steering wheel.

For an F1 "sim" to be called a sim it needs to be at least as realistic as GTR/rFactor/EA's old F1 series to be classed as such. They aren't THAT great, but they are close enough that it drives correctly. Once you get the driving model close then you add bells and whistles. Console game throw in the bells and whistles first to satisfy the ADD crowd who likes shiny things(bloom effect, fly apart car, cool looking weather). Early CMR games are ok. But past the 3rd or 4th one they its becoming prettier looking but drivers worse. By Dirt, the cars are pinned at CG and rotates around that.

Who knows, maybe Codies can get it right, but their recent track record and all the interview I heard and read trying to make F1 games "popular" and bring the drama and excitement is not making me hold my breath.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

For an F1 "sim" to be called a sim it needs to be at least as realistic as GTR/rFactor/EA's old F1 series to be classed as such.
    Also, you are forgetting the greatest F1 sims of them all, Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix series.

Bells and whistles can add to an otherwise sterile experience. Driving affects such as blurred vision, rain droplets on visors all are great.

Thread Information