Page 89 of 101 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1501

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

Catching up on some older posts

Re high nose, I suspect the original Tyrrel reason for the high nose still stands.
    That is it let them have more air to the side radiators and thus MUCH smaller radiators and significantly lower drag from said side radiators. Since then all the aero around the high nose is a plus-plus

PS: Designers didn't realise the reason and spent months doing tests on high nose and seeing no effect. THEN they spotted the smaller side pod openings on Postelthwaite's 019 and voila everyone copied Migeot gave a presentation at SMRC 2 years later and told this story and clearly enjoyed the confusion they caused among fellow aerodynamicists
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 10-19-2012 at 06:01 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I'm not sure the high nose is always a plus even if it is in F1. In F2000 and F1000 the low nose Van Diemen and Citations have proven faster than the newer Stohr and Firman (former Van Diemen) cars. Indy has also avoided the high nose and did so even when they weren't spec cars. I think in large part the F1 rules make the high nose make sense. With different rules it may not make sense.

I was just curious- what makes seat belt latches stick when a car dives into water?

Is it because the mechanisms are old or does it require a dry environment to work?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I was just curious- what makes seat belt latches stick when a car dives into water?

Is it because the mechanisms are old or does it require a dry environment to work?
    Under most seats is a explosive tensioner and the mechanical tensioner in the b-pillar are electrical. Once fired by impact they will keep the belt under tension. This will block the mechanism in the latch as well as this is made so it cannot open when pulled upon the belt i think.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I don't want to start a new thread each time I think up of a technical question, so I'll start this thread. Sometimes, random things trigger these questions and I can't stand not having an answer.

So far, I only have one question, but I'm sure more will come.

Last night there was a mighty big thunder storm (it actually woke me up, so it's pretty big) and I decided to watch it. So, I saw a couple of airplanes go by actually, while the big thunder bolts were flying. My question is, how do planes keep themselves from getting zapped?
    The sparking problem is usually found in low-humidity locations, such as in air-conditioned office buildings. High humidity prevents the charge-separation which causes sparks. Raising the humidity in the environment stops the sparking. High humidity makes the surfaces of shoes and rugs slightly conductive, so the separated charges can instantly flow back together. Usually all of the "static electricity" will vanish when the RH is above 60%.
    austin auto repair
    http://carterstrans.com/

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any information/stats about how modified air intakes compare to stock on carburetor engines?
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Mustang Fan View Post
    Out of curiosity, does anyone have any information/stats about how modified air intakes compare to stock on carburetor engines?
    Are you talking modifying an existing intake or simply swapping manifolds?
    Your going to get more performance from any number of new intakes, but the lot of them are designed to only flow at certain speeds so its really up to what is desired.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum9987 View Post
    Are you talking modifying an existing intake or simply swapping manifolds?
    Your going to get more performance from any number of new intakes, but the lot of them are designed to only flow at certain speeds so its really up to what is desired.
    I was looking at modifying existing and for stats on aftermarket filters like Ramflo or unifilter compared to stock.

Also just general information on how well things like cold air intakes work with carburetors etc. I'm not really all that clued up, just interested.

Well on most carb'ed cars, the air filter hooks right up to the carburetor, and 90% of the time there isn't a shroud or heat shield, so in terms of colder inlet temperatures, you aren't going to gain much. And since your a Mustang guy, I can assume we're talking V8s, so even if you created a shroud and ducting, unless you get a high rise intake, all of the air is going to get heated up by conduction from the block or from coolant. If you run something like a tunnel ram or high riser without a hood you will definitely see an improvement in running temperature. But if you're running a mild or stock configuration, you'll see more improvements by keeping the fuel cool.
    If you want to modify your intake, I always see at the track guys running plastic spacers. They insulate your carb from heat soak, so your fuel is cooler, but they can also improve plenum volume and boost vacuum signal. I've talked to some guys and they say the difference is night and day depending on which spacer and what size they use on what manifold.
    What manifold and carb do you have right now?
    Jimi Hendrix

Well on most carb'ed cars, the air filter hooks right up to the carburetor, and 90% of the time there isn't a shroud or heat shield, so in terms of colder inlet temperatures, you aren't going to gain much. And since your a Mustang guy, I can assume we're talking V8s, so even if you created a shroud and ducting, unless you get a high rise intake, all of the air is going to get heated up by conduction from the block or from coolant. If you run something like a tunnel ram or high riser without a hood you will definitely see an improvement in running temperature. But if you're running a mild or stock configuration, you'll see more improvements by keeping the fuel cool.
    If you want to modify your intake, I always see at the track guys running plastic spacers. They insulate your carb from heat soak, so your fuel is cooler, but they can also improve plenum volume and boost vacuum signal. I've talked to some guys and they say the difference is night and day depending on which spacer and what size they use on what manifold.
    What manifold and carb do you have right now?
    Thanks for all the info.

I am a mustang guy, but unfortunately don't own one. At this stage its all theoretical, I'm just here to gain a bit of knowledge really. I do own at 83 XE Ford Falcon which i do plan on restoring/modifying (not too heavily) and its stock engine is a 3.3L straight six.

Ah okay. Well, lots of guys over here like swapping 4 barrel intakes onto the strait sixes. I've also seen a guy who built his own tunnel ram style manifold that took two holley two barrel carbs out of sheet aluminum. I can PM you a link to that if you like.
    As to modify an existing manifold, the only thing you can do a strait six is to either shorten or lengthen the runners. To shorten you just have to trim off the surface where it hooks up to the head. This will improve your top end power. To lengthen, you need to weld on some extensions based on your gasket profile. This will give you some more torque.
    If you want to add spacers, a hole spacer will improve vacuum signal and improve throttle response, but can kill top end power, while an open spacer will give you more top end but can limit your torque. Splitting the difference between the two is a taper than can improve power at all points in the rev range.
    Jimi Hendrix

Ah okay. Well, lots of guys over here like swapping 4 barrel intakes onto the strait sixes. I've also seen a guy who built his own tunnel ram style manifold that took two holley two barrel carbs out of sheet aluminum. I can PM you a link to that if you like.
    As to modify an existing manifold, the only thing you can do a strait six is to either shorten or lengthen the runners. To shorten you just have to trim off the surface where it hooks up to the head. This will improve your top end power. To lengthen, you need to weld on some extensions based on your gasket profile. This will give you some more torque.
    If you want to add spacers, a hole spacer will improve vacuum signal and improve throttle response, but can kill top end power, while an open spacer will give you more top end but can limit your torque. Splitting the difference between the two is a taper than can improve power at all points in the rev range.
    Gives me a lot to investigate, cheers. Would like to see that link if its possible

while changing the oil today, I noticed a buildup of oil on the front distibutor box. What should I look into doing? The oil doesnt seem to be coming from the boots but from the box itself. Ideas?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Just a quick question- I saw a mobile home towing a Jeep Wrangler directly behind it with all 4 wheels touching the ground.

Isn't that an easy way for the gearbox or drive train to wear out, since the radiators aren't running? I would imagine that the fluids would be warmed but have no direct way of cooling it.

It'll be towed in neutral so no real load on the moving parts, so little heat will be generated and any then simple heat radiation will keep it reasonable - no heat from engine to contend with
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information