Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1.80 a litre Australia in the grip of a fuel crisis: NRMA

$1.80 a litre Australia in the grip of a fuel crisis: NRMA

From the examiner:

Petrol prices could hit $1.80 a litre within weeks, according to the nation's largest motoring organisation.

The NRMA made the statement yesterday, saying the nation was in the grip of a "fuel crisis" and that Australian motorists were at the mercy of volatile oil prices.

The claims were made after global oil prices spiked on the news that petroleum giant BP had been forced to shut a key Alaskan oilfield following a pipeline leak.

Market analysts also say the violence in the Middle East is adding to the upwards pressure on oil prices. RACT chief engineer Doug Ling yesterday called on the oil companies to refrain from using the global situation as an excuse for putting prices up.

"As we see it, the oil companies are taking advantage of the world price increase, and increasing their margins at the same time," Mr Ling said.

Tasmanian Automobile Chamber of Commerce general manager Malcolm Little said he expected further price increases of 5-10c a litre in the near term, also suggesting the cost of fuel was unlikely to fall any time soon.
    This could be very harmful to the automotive industry. Toyota have a4 cylinder for the Camry and also a diesel backup plan but for Holden and Ford, this could lead to a further drop in sales.

If this does happen, I will be selling my WRX. It only runs on 98 RON, which is generally 10 cents more expensive than unleaded, so that is way to expensive.

Thats almost $7 a gallon. And what makes it worse is that BP could have prevented this pipeline leak by spending some of its mega profits instead of putting it in the pockets of the CEO's.

A little over 12 months ago petrol was at ~95-99c a litre here, now it's nearing $1.50. I want to know how much oil price has gone up in the time.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Ok so how much would an increase of $17USD a barrel increase the cost of a litre of petrol? (Source http://www.oilnergy.com/1combo.htm)

Oh and the government can drive prices down easily.

1) Reduce tax on it. Only charge 10% GST like everything else, petrol's a good. (that's probably too much of a decrease but you know what I mean)

2) Stop oil companies charging Singapore prices to us. We're in Australia not Singapore, how much it costs there doesn't count, and the fuel that gets shipped here from there is dirty anyway.

3) STOP SERVOS JACKING THE PRICES ON PAYDAY AND HOLIDAYS. MAKE THEM KEEP IT CONSTANT

4) STOP THE OIL COMPANIES JACKING THE PETROL PRICE THE MOMENT SOMETHING HAPPENS TO OIL SUPPLY

5) And start introducing more bioethanol fuel.

Simple, but they're too useless to agree on anything and just want to say what a massive budget surplus they have and how they're getting rid of our foreign debt, instead of actually spending our tax on us, the people who bloody voted them in.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Ok so how much would an increase of $17USD a barrel increase the cost of a litre of petrol? (Source http://www.oilnergy.com/1combo.htm)

Oh and the government can drive prices down easily.

1) Reduce tax on it. Only charge 10% GST like everything else, petrol's a good. (that's probably too much of a decrease but you know what I mean)

2) Stop oil companies charging Singapore prices to us. We're in Australia not Singapore, how much it costs there doesn't count, and the fuel that gets shipped here from there is dirty anyway.

3) STOP SERVOS JACKING THE PRICES ON PAYDAY AND HOLIDAYS. MAKE THEM KEEP IT CONSTANT

4) STOP THE OIL COMPANIES JACKING THE PETROL PRICE THE MOMENT SOMETHING HAPPENS TO OIL SUPPLY

5) And start introducing more bioethanol fuel.

Simple, but they're too useless to agree on anything and just want to say what a massive budget surplus they have and how they're getting rid of our foreign debt, instead of actually spending our tax on us, the people who bloody voted them in.
    you right about all of that!

prices go up like $1, but only drops by a few cents.

oil companies are making billions of dollars, but yet they cant keep there equipment repaired.
    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    -Rita Mae Brown-

It's not easy bringing down the price of fuel. OPEC controls almost if not all of the world's oil production. They enjoy jacking the prices because that's the only leverage they can use against the major world powers.

I was thinking it was cheap just filled up with my first ever Caltex Vortex Gold 98.. $1.40 p/l.. Reg unleaded was $1.30.. Today it's $1.29
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Yesterday my local servo was selling regular unleaded at $1.33 per litre....today $1.47 litre. That's near enough to a 10 % discrepancy in 1 day. How this can be justified (especially as the price will drop again on Friday) is beyond me....

you have it lucky slick,

cheapest ive seen it here in 2 weeks is $1.35 for regular...
    The Datto will rage again...

Something ive always funny is Caltex sell unleaded cheaper with the Woolworths docket than United sell E10.

Howard was saying only the other day the government could reduce the prices back down to about $1.20 but that would be about as far as they would go. Its a bit like the water crisis really, theyre waiting way too long before they start making actions to fix the problem.
    I am the Stig

Here in Aust. the government has a tax on a tax.
    we pay a tax ofr fuel and then 10% GST on top of it.
    Talk about ripping people off.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    you have it lucky slick,

cheapest ive seen it here in 2 weeks is $1.35 for regular...
    And they say the west is bad
    Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Something ive always funny is Caltex sell unleaded cheaper with the Woolworths docket than United sell E10.

Howard was saying only the other day the government could reduce the prices back down to about $1.20 but that would be about as far as they would go. Its a bit like the water crisis really, theyre waiting way too long before they start making actions to fix the problem.
    And i would bet if the gov dropped some of the tax the petrol guys will find a way to raise it back up and we would loose still .
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

My mum heard on the radio today that someone watched a servo here in Canberra and the price went up 11c in one go! And guess what tomorrow is? Public service pay day, surprise, surprise.
    – Hunter Thompson

yep $1.47 a litre tonight.

i got in quick for $1.35...
    The Datto will rage again...

its useless around here, its so expensive, and with me having to drive near 20 kilometres each way to school and back, thats almost 5 dollars a day in fuel! :angry whiteballz:

cheapest ive ever seen it up here is 1.32! i use plus (10% ethanol) fuel which is constantly 4 or 5 cents cheaper.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information