Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Where Would You Live If You Had No Limitations?

Where Would You Live If You Had No Limitations?

I saw this topic on the city data site... Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, etc.

"Where Would You Live If You Had No Limitations?" Limiatations, I suppose, means no money worries.

The place I would choose is only about 3 miles away from where I live. It is a gated community called Monteria Estates in Chatsworth, California. The lots are a minimum of 2 acres and the homes there are worth a minimum of about $1.5 million.

In the past (and currently, I suppose) some celebrities have lived there.

Here are some photos of the area.
    Photo #1 shows the main entrance. There are only two way to enter, from the South and the North.

Photo #2 shows one of the mansions.

Photo #3 shows one of the private roads inside the gated area. I had to take this one looking over a wall.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    So if money was in ample supply, would you stay where you are or make big changes?

'76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

I dislike the concept of the Gated community. but if you want to live there I'm not going to stop you.

With no restrictions I'd probably like to live In a house designed by myself, either in Wellington or Melbourne.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I love So-Cal. But Rome or Munich might be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I dislike the concept of the Gated community. but if you want to live there I'm not going to stop you.
    Actually, I think they have gone overboard with gated communities. For instance, there are some in Palmdale (in the high desert) in regular neighborhoods!
    I can see why they are in wealthy areas, but I sure would like to see the inside of the place I showed. I've lived in the same area for 41 years and I have never been inside that area.

With no restrictions I'd probably like to live In a house designed by myself, either in Wellington or Melbourne
    Would that be in your current city?

I'd like to live on the outskirts of a really nice and popular downtown with low crime and nice DAYTIME activities. I'd also like the neighborhood to be "young" with an upbeat and positive attitude. Living next to old people sucks. I can't think of a specific place like this at the moment.

I doubt any of those homes Fleet posted go for as little as $1.5 million anymore. If there are any for that cheap in that neighborhood, I bet they are very small or very outdated and old looking.

I also don't want to live outside of America. Word on the street is that the rest of the world sucks. I like family visits and people who speak AMERICAN...and I like FOOTBALL AMERICANA.

Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    I'd like to live on the outskirts of a really nice and popular downtown with low crime and nice DAYTIME activities. I'd also like the neighborhood to be "young" with an upbeat and positive attitude. Living next to old people sucks. I can't think of a specific place like this at the moment.
    Any college town will do

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Actually, I think they have gone overboard with gated communities. For instance, there are some in Palmdale (in the high desert) in regular neighborhoods!
    I can see why they are in wealthy areas, but I sure would like to see the inside of the place I showed. I've lived in the same area for 41 years and I have never been inside that area.

Would that be in your current city?
    Wellington is the Capital of New Zealand. I lived there with my family between 2002-04. I found it really easy to navigate, great for things to do and had a really cool vibe.

Melbourne is the Capital of the Australian State of Victoria. again a bustling area with a strong artistic set up.

My current City is Canberra. the Capital of Australia. It's essentially a big country town.

the whole point of a Gated community is to shield the inhabitants from the outside world. should a Zombie infestation occur it should be ok, but otherwise it's just a really isolationist move that reinforces the "haves" and "have-nots" nature of society.

If said gated community has a community race track, then it is Zytek_Fan approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    Any college town will do
    No. College towns don't always have successful "DOWNTOWNS". I don't like college towns, I'm thinking more on the level of Los Angelos.

Wellington is the Capital of New Zealand. I lived there with my family between 2002-04. I found it really easy to navigate, great for things to do and had a really cool vibe.

Melbourne is the Capital of the Australian State of Victoria. again a bustling area with a strong artistic set up.

My current City is Canberra. the Capital of Australia. It's essentially a big country town.
    That sounds good.

the whole point of a Gated community is to shield the inhabitants from the outside world. should a Zombie infestation occur it should be ok, but otherwise it's just a really isolationist move that reinforces the "haves" and "have-nots" nature of society
    Well, gated communities were started so criminals/burglars could not just drive into a wealthy area and commit their crimes. The gates, most of which have a guard in some type of enclosure, are very effective from keeping that from happening. As long as the residents don't mind paying for a guard at the gate, I see no problem.

It's an artificial shield from the realities of the world. and something the wealthy people who generally live in these communities could do well to see.

It's just disappointing that it's come back down to a Fief system in the world - where wealthy people pay others to keep them safe.

Retreating into these communities does not make the real world any more safe.

It's an artificial shield from the realities of the world. and something the wealthy people who generally live in these communities could do well to see.

It's just disappointing that it's come back down to a Fief system in the world - where wealthy people pay others to keep them safe.

Retreating into these communities does not make the real world any more safe.
    That may be true if they were only in wealthy areas, but they are not.

And why not pay someone to keep them safe? Ever hear of bodyguards? Elvis had them, Sinatra had them, many celebrities have them. There isn't much difference between hiring a bodyguard and living in a gated neighborhood.

And how grounded in reality would you think Sinatra and Elvis were? There is nothing wrong with hiring people to protect you. my problem is how did the situation get so bad as to A) require them and B) to remove yourself from the larger community.

As for Gated communities not just being in wealthy areas....not in my experience. Canberra is Generally a well-off area, we have a lot of embassies (which do have gates for Diplomatic purposes), but most of the $1m+ properties do not reside within artificial centres.

And how grounded in reality would you think Sinatra and Elvis were? There is nothing wrong with hiring people to protect you. my problem is how did the situation get so bad as to A) require them and B) to remove yourself from the larger community.
    Well, obviously celebrities need good security due to kidnap threats by nuts. Also, celebs like Elvis and Sinatra could not live in regular neighborhoods because so many fans would hang around that the neighbors would complain. That's why Elvis bought Graceland... the neighbors in his former neighborhood were complaining about the fans hanging around.

As for Gated communities not just being in wealthy areas....not in my experience. Canberra is Generally a well-off area, we have a lot of embassies (which do have gates for Diplomatic purposes), but most of the $1m+ properties do not reside within artificial centres
    It would depend on the city (and country), I suppose. But out here, as I mentioned, there are gated neighborhoods with small houses, like 2-bedroom, and ~1500 square foot houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Well, obviously celebrities need good security due to kidnap threats by nuts. Also, celebs like Elvis and Sinatra could not live in regular neighborhoods because so many fans would hang around that the neighbors would complain. That's why Elvis bought Graceland... the neighbors in his former neighborhood were complaining about the fans hanging around.

Still doesn't answer my question as to how Celebrities are relevant to Middle-Class Housing estates.

It would depend on the city (and country), I suppose. But out here, as I mentioned, there are gated neighborhoods with small houses, like 2-bedroom, and ~1500 square foot houses.
    Exactly my point. These people are not celebrities. They are not famous, and they are not in immediate and constant danger. They are choosing to live away from normal society.

Have things really gotten that bad in the world that this is necessary?

Thread Information