Thread: Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car

Cadillac Returns To Racing With CTS-V Coupe
    Two teams set to compete in SCCA World Challenge GT Series

Racecar based on award-winning CTS-V Series line
    Program designed to validate, enhance Cadillac performance
    Andy Pilgrim, Johnny O’Connell signed as Cadillac drivers

DETROIT – Cadillac announced today it will return to racing in 2011 with a race-prepared version of its CTS-V Coupe competing in the Sports Car Club of America World Challenge, North America’s top production-based racecar series.

The move returns Cadillac to a series where it competed from 2004 to 2007. Competing in the GT Class with the CTS-V Sport Sedan, Cadillac captured the Manufacturer’s Championship in 2005 and 2007 and the Driver’s Championship in 2005.

Cadillac will field two teams in the upcoming SCCA World Challenge GT Class with a racecar based on the CTS-V Coupe. The CTS-V line, which also includes the CTS-V Sedan and CTS-V Wagon, was recently named to Car and Driver magazine’s 10 Best list for 2011.

“Returning to racing in the SCCA World Challenge is a great way to demonstrate the performance and capability of the CTS-V Coupe,” said Don Butler, vice president for Cadillac marketing. “The racecars in this series are production based, which allows us to validate our performance against the best of our competitors on the track, and not just the showroom.”

Cadillac is working with Pratt & Miller, a New Hudson, Mich., engineering firm which specializes in motorsports, to develop the CTS-V Coupe racecar. While some of the production CTS-V components will be modified due to the unique demands of racing or to meet the SCCA series’ technical rules, every effort is taken to maintain as much production content as possible.

“The SCCA World Challenge lends itself well to a natural transfer of knowledge,” said Jim Campbell, GM vice president for Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. “The series will become a key test-bed for Cadillac. We anticipate using what we learn on the racetrack to ensure the V-Series stays on the cutting-edge of performance.”

The first event in the SCCA World Challenge is March 25-27 in St. Petersburg, Fla. Johnny O’Connell, a three-time GT1 champion in the America Le Mans Series, and Andy Pilgrim, who won the 2005 SCCA World Challenge GT class in a Cadillac, will be behind the wheel of the CTS-V racecars.

Introduced for the 2003 model year, the CTS-V has quickly earned a reputation among luxury sports car buyers. For the 2011 model year, Cadillac added the CTS-V Coupe and the CTS-V Sport Wagon to the CTS-V Sport Sedan, creating an impressive family of performance vehicles. The CTS-Vs feature Brembo brakes, a supercharged 6.2L V8 delivering 556 horsepower and a Magnetic Ride Control suspension system that can read and react to the road 1,000 times a second.

Started in 1944, the SCCA organizes and supports racing at all levels from amateur to professional. The World Challenge series is designed to provide teams, manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers a competitive production-based race series in which to prove their products. The races follow a 50-minute maximum time limit, with the number of laps and total distance determined by track configuration, lap times and race conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car #2

Increasing the momentum behind the stance that Cadillac is The New Standard of The World, the 556 hp supercharged V8 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe will put its money where its mouth is on the racetrack.

Backed by GM Racing, the motorsports engineers from Pratt & Miller, Cadillac has joined the Sports Car Club of America World Challenge, North America’s top production-based racecar series.

"The series will become a key test bed for Cadillac. We anticipate using what we learn on the racetrack to ensure V-Series stays on the cutting-edge of performance."

- Jim Campbell, GM Vice President - performance vehicles and motorsports.

Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car #3

Cadillac today released the first photographs of the CTS-V Coupe race car, which will debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on Monday, Jan. 10. Cadillac announced last month it was re-entering the Sports Car Club of America World Challenge GT racing series for the 2011 season, which begins March 25-27 in St. Petersburg, Fla.

Johnny O’Connell, a three-time GT1 champion in the America Le Mans Series, and Andy Pilgrim, who won the 2005 SCCA World Challenge GT class in a Cadillac, will be behind the wheel of the CTS-V racecars. The first on-track tests will be conducted in late January at Sebring International Raceway.

I still think CTS Coupe is plain ugly, which is quite strange, as I like a pretty appealing 4-door version quite a lot. A Converj concept they have shown at Moscow motor show did not look a single cent better, if not worse.

If they could somehow homologate this to run in the DTM...
    well, I'm just dreaming
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Good choice using the coupe as the base, for obvious reasons of course.
    Those wheels don't look very racy though; they look more like they belong on the street car.

If they could somehow homologate this to run in the DTM...
    well, I'm just dreaming
    I'm guessing if that were to happen, they would have to use the sedan as the base.
    Buy a car for you, not for other people

The stance of the Coupe just looks weird to me....and the racing version is no different...

I like the "swan-neck" style wing mounting is now being quite universally used...pretty clever on Audi/Wirth's part to come up with that in LMP. Now the DTM cars uses that also, and this....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    I still think CTS Coupe is plain ugly, which is quite strange, as I like a pretty appealing 4-door version quite a lot. A Converj concept they have shown at Moscow motor show did not look a single cent better, if not worse.
    I agree. The problem with Cadillac's "coupe" is that the overall profile looks more like a hatchback with a proportionately short bonnet and a long, bulbous cockpit. Compare this to the long bonnet and low, sloping roofline of a a more traditional GT car, ie a Corvette or an Aston Martin. Even the CTS-V Coupe's direct competitor, the M3 Coupe, bears this more traditional layout, if to a lesser extent than a more sports-orriented 'Vette or Aston. Even if Cadillac's layout offers more rear-passenger room and overall practicality, it just isn't sexy enough to be a sports coupe and cost $65k.

By virtue of being a racecar, this sits lower and thus a little bit better looking than the streetcar but still no.
    Last edited by demonrunning07; 01-07-2011 at 03:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LHamilton_w View Post
    I'm guessing if that were to happen, they would have to use the sedan as the base.
    The reglement will change for the 2012 season, and it's said that the new cars have to be based on coupes.
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Regardless of what you might think of the styling, if it's as competitive as the earlier sedan all is good. Would love to see it in DTM, but aren't those tube-frame cars far removed from the construction used in SCCA World Challenge? (odd choice of name for the series considering it's North American only ) Anyway, does GM even have plans to sell Cadillac in Europe?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Cadillac sells in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Cadillac sells in Europe.
    Well, tries.

Altough, I sort of like the Coupe. I would consider it.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thanks, Cameron... even in a limited market there's reason for them to run DTM, maybe race fans will make a case to corporate.
    The current teams seem kind of static with Mercedes/Audi dominating.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

To make a business case in Europe, I would say there's far more to be done before actually going racing.

Things like having a proper dealer network, a more complete line up, cars more suited to European tastes (the CTS estate is clearly a step in that direction), and diesel engines.

And even then they have a massive image problem to overcome. Like the Japanese, only worse.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by csl177 View Post
    Thanks, Cameron... even in a limited market there's reason for them to run DTM, maybe race fans will make a case to corporate.
    The current teams seem kind of static with Mercedes/Audi dominating.
    I don't know what countries they sell in though. I searched but found no quick answers. The UK for sure - TG has had reviews of the old CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    To make a business case in Europe, I would say there's far more to be done before actually going racing.

Things like having a proper dealer network, a more complete line up, cars more suited to European tastes (the CTS estate is clearly a step in that direction), and diesel engines.

And even then they have a massive image problem to overcome. Like the Japanese, only worse.
    Well, they are giving the entry-level class a shot (ATS), and a premium car (probably an XTS or maybe something like a Cien according to Car and Driver) though I don't think they will work in Europe, maybe not even in Northern America (aka Canada+USA). I don't know why they bother with Europe.

Thread Information