Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holden 202 mods

holden 202 mods

me and the old man are rebuilding an efi 202 black motor out of a vk commodore what would be some good mods with out going to forced induction?

any particular reason you don't want FI ?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The EFI on the old black motors is incredibly poor getting an aftermarket one and a cam/exhaust that suites and some head work will make it a completly diffrent motor.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Hit ebay and look for the series that ran in Street Machine magazine on building up a 12 port Holden around 1998-2000 era, or google it. From memory it was the Black motor they featured. It went in stages from mild to slightly wilder and gave part lists along with dyno results etc. IIRC it made good strong and useable horse power (over 250) and was relatively inexpensive to build. It also ended up with EFI however as I said they went in steps which started out with the crappy french two barrel carby that most of those engines came out with to the 350 Holley (which wouldnt breath) with a bigger cam to the 500 Holley with the same cam as before to EFI with a big cam. Results were interesting as I had a VH Commodore at the time and had spent considerable time working a 12 port head with a similar to hq holden race cam and straight cut gears etc. Just remember that those old Hq racers make over 200 horses using the single barrel stromberg (with an ENORMOUS main jet) and a reasonably mild cam
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Give Yella Terra a call and ask them, they seem to be up their in terms of modifications for the old Holden 6's.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    any particular reason you don't want FI ?
    on p plates

I used to think when the old EFI Vk went hard they went good, Shame they were likely to stop around the corner. Most of the time it was EFI related..

What about a stroker kit?.
    Nice lumpy cam shaved head 4 speed manual be smoking up the streets and should sound sweet as hell too.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by Holden rocks View Post
    on p plates
    lol ok...
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    Nice lumpy cam shaved head 4 speed manual be smoking up the streets and should sound sweet as hell too.
    With a slap & tickle you can even put Falcon crankshafts in 'em! (sacrilege I know) But as mentioned, an honest performer and very cheap & easy to mod

I too really like the (generic term) Holden Red Motor. At debut it was then reputedly the world's lightest mass-production 6cyl?

edit: btw the carby on my last Red (in fact a Blue 202) was a Weber ex-XE Falcon 3.3, cheap as chips to buy and worked well. But depending on your local rego authorities you can strike trouble with modifying engines due to pollution regs, re ADR27A
    Last edited by nota; 10-21-2008 at 04:20 AM.

And if you want larger jets for that carb that nota was talking about just get one off a 4.1

and the falcon Crank hes talking about putting in is the older "pursuit" model XK-XW not the 200-250 or Cross flow from XY-XF.
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    I used to think when the old EFI Vk went hard they went good, Shame they were likely to stop around the corner. Most of the time it was EFI related..

all ready got a 4 speed out of a vc

Quote Originally Posted by Holden rocks View Post
    all ready got a 4 speed out of a vc
    Be somewhat gentile with it they are not the strongest boxes. But if you can afford it a celica 5 speed will improve the shift and give you 5th gear to cruise with.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon500 View Post
    Be somewhat gentile with it they are not the strongest boxes. But if you can afford it a celica 5 speed will improve the shift and give you 5th gear to cruise with.
    looked at one but coast to much for the whole conversion i think it was $1500 we got this for $800

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    With a slap & tickle you can even put Falcon crankshafts in 'em! (sacrilege I know) But as mentioned, an honest performer and very cheap & easy to mod

I too really like the (generic term) Holden Red Motor. At debut it was then reputedly the world's lightest mass-production 6cyl?

edit: btw the carby on my last Red (in fact a Blue 202) was a Weber ex-XE Falcon 3.3, cheap as chips to buy and worked well. But depending on your local rego authorities you can strike trouble with modifying engines due to pollution regs, re ADR27A
    Sacrilege..
    If it works and it's cheap go for it. There should be many parts out there that can be used to his advantage. Wish i had done that now.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The shitty little french carby that the blue motor had wasnt that bad you know, it out performs a holley 350 on those engines purely because it mixs the air and fuel more efficiently. I cant remember what they were called but they were disregarded as far as performance applications, like the carter thermoquad was on the 302 ford xc. The thermoquad flowed something near 800 cfm thanks to its ENORMOUS secondaries and is infinately better than a Holley, it was just that they werent idiot resistant unlike the Holley and therefore generally got scrapped. I think they were called Varijet on the holden but not sure.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Thread Information