Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: holden 202 mods

Daz that why most of us are suggesting down draft webbers from old ford motors
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

I used to have a VH with a blue 202 in it until I got a decent 308 SL/E. The old 202 wasn't bad, it was heaps less temperamental than the 8 potter. I spoke to an old bloke from Holley Performance in Melbourne 13 years ago and he reckoned that a properly set-up Varajet carby was as good as anything - his issue was the intake manifold was hugely restrictive, the cams in the cars were far too mild and there was too much emission equipment which strangled performance.

The old 202 sounded nice on a 2.5" exhaust. I was ready to swap the stock inlet manifold for a Redline item and get a decent set of extractors to compliment the exhaust too.

But unfortunately the jerk who fitted the chrome-dish air-cleaner to the car to compliment the polished rocker cover didn't tighten the screws hard enough...

One of the nuts got sucked into the carb on the Western Highway one Saturday arvo and that one bolt quickly ended up heading straight into the block where my engine did it's best to drop it's guts like a drunken chick on a hens night.

'Twas my very first car and my pride and joy....

*sighs wistfully*

thanks for all the suff on the carby but staying with efi

Probably a good idea. The EFI was much better and gave greater fuel economy and better performance on the black engines. Still reckon 160kW from triple Strombergs is hard to beat!

160kw is hard to beat but trying to stay on the good side of the law on the p's

just wondering if a vk efi fuel tank is different to a carby fuel tank

Throw it away and drop a RB30 in it… Extractors, CAI and a chip makes them eat the old V8’s

Quote Originally Posted by Daz27 View Post
    The shitty little french carby that the blue motor had wasnt that bad you know, it out performs a holley 350 on those engines purely because it mixs the air and fuel more efficiently. I cant remember what they were called but they were disregarded as far as performance applications, like the carter thermoquad was on the 302 ford xc. The thermoquad flowed something near 800 cfm thanks to its ENORMOUS secondaries and is infinately better than a Holley, it was just that they werent idiot resistant unlike the Holley and therefore generally got scrapped. I think they were called Varijet on the holden but not sure.

Indeed it was a Varijet they had variations of them rite thru to the vks but i dont no about the 350 holley loseing to one ive had a couple in the past true that they dont mix air n fuel well and becuase of that the old 202s idel like a cunt but with some nice heads n extractors and a manual behind em they still go alright
    Last edited by durys.car.kills; 03-04-2009 at 11:45 PM.

Thread Information