Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ford RS200 IMSA GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Not really, monocoque chassis - ok with tubular front and rear outriggers.
    Rear engine, RWD.
    About all it had for it was the short wheelbase, which was it's downfall.
    A great looking car and one of THE best to hear coming through a forest, but off the pace

Not really, didn't share anything with the concept.
    ( well OK, the idea of a monocoque core and spacefreme front/rear, but the 037 took it much further than the Stratos did and used small supercharged engine.
    I didn't meant the following it mechanically but rather as a concept. The Stratos was basically a purpose built, mid (rear) engined rally car with a powerful engine. Which is what the 037 was in the 80's, with updated mechanics.

It didn't have four wheel drive, but in everything else it was the way to go. And the Audi was conventional, but four wheel drive was its saving grace. Unfortunately the RS1700T had none of this.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The 80's were a great decade with some truly great cars and you could still buy some of the all time greats.

It also was before globalisation and standardisation took over.
    Were the 80s better than any decade after the 20s? I would say no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    well it's better than the current decade? for racing, anyway. today's racing championships are just bland somehow.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

I didn't say they were the best decade, I said it was a great decade.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    well it's better than the current decade? for racing, anyway. today's racing championships are just bland somehow.
    Arguably for road cars too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I didn't say they were the best decade, I said it was a great decade.
    And I asked you if any decade after the 20s was worse than the 80s. I think no - this does not make the 80s necessarily bad but it's pretty damning if you agree that they are the worst essentially in the post WWI era.

And I asked you if any decade after the 20s was worse than the 80s. I think no - this does not make the 80s necessarily bad but it's pretty damning if you agree that they are the worst essentially in the post WWI era.
    They aren't the worse.

There are tons of great cars from that era. Hot hatches came into its own, and you could still buy all time greats like the SD1, the CX or the 900. Cars still were and felt different. And they were quite fast, without being weighted down with electronics. Mercs were reliable and BMW concentrated on doing what they did best. Alfa Romeos were rear wheel drive and Jags still had straight sixes. And then there are the supercars, the F40 and 959 amongst them.

And I could go on and on.
    Visca Catalunya!

things changed so much it's impossible to compare cars from the eighties and from the nineties too.
    consider the differences between an F40 and an F50, or between a Fiat Uno and a Fiat Punto (mk1).
    or even the first punto with the present one.
    or how were Ferraris were in the fifties, with all coachbuilders releasing their own styles and models, and now.
    the same for music, movies and so on.
    the market changed very quickly, and so the products and the customers, which together form the market to be precise.

I recognize interiors and rear parts were often neglected in the design in the seventies and eighties, but in turn, there is nothing like a Stratos, or a 037, or a Delta S4 (just to stay very slightly on topic) from this years.
    and so on. every period has its own peculiarities, and making comparisons among them it's very though, if not impossible.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    things changed so much it's impossible to compare cars from the eighties and from the nineties too.
    consider the differences between an F40 and an F50, or between a Fiat Uno and a Fiat Punto (mk1).
    or even the first punto with the present one.
    or how were Ferraris were in the fifties, with all coachbuilders releasing their own styles and models, and now.
    the same for music, movies and so on.
    the market changed very quickly, and so the products and the customers, which together form the market to be precise.

I recognize interiors and rear parts were often neglected in the design in the seventies and eighties, but in turn, there is nothing like a Stratos, or a 037, or a Delta S4 (just to stay very slightly on topic) from this years.
    and so on. every period has its own peculiarities, and making comparisons among them it's very though, if not impossible.
    Amen.

You can compare though. I'd rather be in a Golf GTI 16v Mk II rather than a Mk V GTI. Or a 205 GTI rather than a 207 RC. Or a Rover Vitesse rather than... nothing.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ford RS200 IMSA GTO #02
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sorry if I cannot express myself correctly, but I don't know English as good as I want, so my answers will probably be the same in many cases.

Thread Information