Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When did it all die?

Quote Originally Posted by B Bop View Post
    I believe it was Sir Stirling Moss who said, "I remember a time when sex was safe and racing was dangerous"
    Not that I want races to be littered with dead bodies....but safety measures have killed the racing in some areas.

I don't even know how a driver could get hurt in an F1 car these days short of driving it off a high cliff. The newer designed tracks are sucky due to that and....well the eccentric's that run the show.

I agree with W.R. about Le Mans. If you've ever driven the track in simulation you know that about the only exciting part of the track(before chicanes) was breaking 200mph on the long uninterrupted straight. The Porsche curves are very fast...but overall it's a fairly boring track compared to a lot of them.

And for Ferrer....WTCC isn't racing...it's an organized traffic jam for people with short attention spans...then they reverse the grid to convert it to pure artificial racing.

Modern racing reflects our times, both in good and in bad.

What has been, has been. I can see no point in bittersweet longing for the past, things tend to change and you'd better keep up with those changes. New, modern racing legends are emerging right now and I'm not going to miss them because of the "good ol´days"

It didn't die it morphed. It went from being an art form and a science experiment to being a business with very defined scientific principles. This is actually worse than if it had died. If it had died we could always resurrect it but we can never unlearn the science that makes all cars look the same or the business aspects that make all drivers look and sound the same. The 70's were the peak. Car's and drivers came in all shapes and sizes. After that it has been all downhill. Only ALMS is close to the old way of racing.

Racing needs to go back to its roots, getting from point A to point B (can be the some point) as quick as possible. Racing is dangerous, all the drivers know that. Everyone racing knows how dangerous it is and if they don't want to drive or die they shouldn't race. I agree with the safety regulations for spectators, as you should be able to watch the race without dying (RIP to those who have).

Get rid of the chicanes on the Le Mans course, lessen restrictions on cars in competitions such as F1, create race tracks with challenging and dangerous corners (Laguna Seca).

Bring back the monsters from road and rally and remove drivers aids.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R. View Post
    When did motorsport die in your opinion? If it hasn't, then good luck watching the FIA get beaten into submission by Ferrari, and say hello to all the chicanes out there for me. Maybe this thread will have too much nostalgia wafting through it, but I sure don't mind, and I hope you can put your finger on the moment when motorsport died inside.

RIP motorsport since Le Mans grew some chicanes, although you were in ill health since they finished the Targa Florio off.
    In my Opinion, motorsport started to die when the regulations started to slow things down and limit the speed of the cars.
    Nothing to say...

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Rallying was killed by the FIA because it needed to be "spectator friendly". So they killed night stages, made rallies much shorter and allowed cars to restart next day if they had crashed.

I guess that answers your question.
    motorsport was killed when they pulled the plug on Group B rally cars & Turbo F1 cars

motorsport was killed when it started costing a small fortune to buy ur racing equipment never the less a very very expensive machine to be a winner

Motorsport was killed when start having motorhomes for drivers & u do stages less than 30km in daylight & if u break ur car u can start the next day

Racing cars are quicker now than they have ever been before.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Racing cars are quicker now than they have ever been before.
    yeah... this is true, no arguing about this one. but then, i still believe that racing cars of today should even be faster than they already are. the regulations just slowed the cars down too much
    Nothing to say...

It certainly took a hit when they made it a business. Seems like back in the day teams didn't care about the fan or the sponsors, it was about winning. Now they want to make it easier for the fan to watch and follow the action and they need sponsors to keep their teams afloat, if the cost wasn't so high and everyone wasn't hell bent on keeping fans and appeasing the costs and the bosses then motorsport would be better off.

Gone are the days where fans had to clamor through woods and camp out to get a glimpse of their favorite driver or team. Now it's check into a cushy hotel and buy an expensive pass or ticket.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Meh, I watched an event at the Portland International Raceway this weekend that was plenty fun.

Oregon Trail Rally Home

We were right next to the final S crimp on the first part of the event. There were two classes- the full rally car class and the lower class with a lot of restrictions on what could be modified.

The rally cars were awesome to watch because they went through everything frighteningly fast, but the real crowd pleaser was one of the lower level cars going through the final turn of the curve literally on two wheels (and nearly his door) from entering the corner way too fast and hitting the inside curb.

There were some interesting entries too. Even a truck, it was some mitsubishi mini truck, and well... handled about how you'd expect a truck to handle.

One of the lower class cars, and I think he must have been messing around, did a perfect drift around the corner too, which got plenty of cheers.

I couldn't find a picture of either, so instead here's Tanner Foust's co-driver. My roommate was getting his autograph and couldn't help but notice that zomg his co-driver's hot.

I'm going to get the pics from my roommate and I'll make a separate post for the event.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Gone are the days where fans had to clamor through woods and camp out to get a glimpse of their favorite driver or team. Now it's check into a cushy hotel and buy an expensive pass or ticket.
    Well, if you remember a couple of truck cross events I posted here, they were absolutely free, and the costs were really low. Plus anyone has an access to cars and drivers in paddock.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Edition View Post
    yeah... this is true, no arguing about this one. but then, i still believe that racing cars of today should even be faster than they already are. the regulations just slowed the cars down too much
    yes thats true

imagine WRC cars with bigger turbo & no restricted turbos

or F1 with no limits

that will be more challenging for drivers & much more fun for the fans

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Well, if you remember a couple of truck cross events I posted here, they were absolutely free, and the costs were really low. Plus anyone has an access to cars and drivers in paddock.
    the whole day at Adria, with 3 races of the Lamborghini SuperTrofeo, qualifying + 2 races of GT3, qualifying + race of GT1&2 and 2 races for GT4 cost 14 € (free for me ).
    A bargain.

A GT4 Maserati is going to cost about 140.000 € if not a bit less, and they seem pretty fun to watch and drive.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by akrmalas View Post
    yes thats true

imagine WRC cars with bigger turbo & no restricted turbos

or F1 with no limits

that will be more challenging for drivers & much more fun for the fans
    It will be fun for about 2 months and then all events will be banned for mass casualties on and around the track. This thread is packed with realism.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    It will be fun for about 2 months and then all events will be banned for mass casualties on and around the track. This thread is packed with realism.
    Realism and dreaming usually dont mix.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Thread Information