Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ford Mondeo (4th gen) 2007-2013

I don't understand why this car isn't sold here. Americans would love it Its large enough and fits in where the crappy fusion is now, is comfortable, efficient, easy to drive (maybe even fun), etc. My family drove one as a rental car in the UK a few years back and it was fantastic. Arrgghh not fair

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Because you coudn't tell a good car even if you had it in front?

Oh come on!!

I have a feeling if this was introduced in a showroom with a Fusion or a Taurus people would immediately recognize the Mondeo is a better car. I think a long time ago the Mondeo was in the US under a different name (before it was any good).

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    I don't understand why this car isn't sold here. Americans would love it Its large enough and fits in where the crappy fusion is now, is comfortable, efficient, easy to drive (maybe even fun), etc. My family drove one as a rental car in the UK a few years back and it was fantastic. Arrgghh not fair
    The new Focus looks mighty similar to Mondeos

Oh come on!!

I have a feeling if this was introduced in a showroom with a Fusion or a Taurus people would immediately recognize the Mondeo is a better car. I think a long time ago the Mondeo was in the US under a different name (before it was any good).
    I think the problem is, a) they may be more expensive than equivalent american saloons or estates and b) not entirely suited Joe Public's needs. The orginal Mondeo (Contour), and it was a good car, already failed and the Astra doesn't seem to be doing much better.

Unfortunately our small world doesn't reflect entirely what's out there...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

if they sold this in america, would people buy it?

[QUOTE=NSXType-R;789757]Eh, hate you and your Euro/Japan market only cars. At least we get cheap gas for the time being.

cheap yeh but it aint the quality we have. 97 octane is what i use but it kills my student loan

some of the european spec cars aint that great anyway fn2 type r looks good but too much form and less function

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    The new Focus looks mighty similar to Mondeos
    Our new Focus or their new Focus?

I think the problem is, a) they may be more expensive than equivalent american saloons or estates and b) not entirely suited Joe Public's needs. The orginal Mondeo (Contour), and it was a good car, already failed and the Astra doesn't seem to be doing much better.

The Astra isn't doing well? I thought it was a decent car.

[QUOTE=jugga;790219]
    Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Eh, hate you and your Euro/Japan market only cars. At least we get cheap gas for the time being.

cheap yeh but it aint the quality we have. 97 octane is what i use but it kills my student loan

some of the european spec cars aint that great anyway fn2 type r looks good but too much form and less function
    Oh. Our gasoline isn't as high octane, but it at least is still cheaper.

The Astra isn't doing well? I thought it was a decent car.
    Apparently Saturn sales were down in Jan '08.

The Astra is a fine car, but not a class leader. And you range is a bit uninspiring.
    Visca Catalunya!

Because you coudn't tell a good car even if you had it in front?
    You bloody hypocrite!

In the Focus ST/XR5 thread, you're having a dig at me for making a joke about the same thing...!

Oh come on!!
    I think Albert was just joking - don't be offended by it. Even if there are a class of "stupid Americans" (rednecks and the like), I'm sure everybody else just ignores them and goes about a normal life anyway. I'm sure that if the new Mondeo were to be introduced in the US, it'd sell...

...correct: It was the Ford Contour. As I said, I think the new one would sell though because it's not only a very good car, but it addresses the main reason it didn't sell as the Contour before - size. The new Mondeo is only 1cm shorter than an Audi A6, which makes it even more confusing as to why Ford hasn't attempted to introduce it in North America yet - it could have a genuine "world car" on its hands this time.

At least we get cheap gas for the time being.
    Yes, try to hold-on to that - it means that you can at least enjoy your cars without being demonically obsessed with MPG like most of us Brits (and other Europeans to a certain extent).

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer;

I see your point but I honestly don't think that's the case. It's the same situation as Ford with this Mondeo here - Ford are only looking back to what happened with the original Mondeo/Contour, and are afraid to back this one in the 'States for fear of another flop (despite this car being much better suited to the needs of the American public).

I think that the probable reason for customers not knowing how good the Saturn Astra is is that no-one knows what it is! - More promotion from GM, I reckon, could easily sort that out. I mean, no disrespect, but it's got to beat the Cobalt/Neon type cars.

The only reason I see left that Americans could see not to buy Euro-market cars is that the model ranges aren't expansive enough (the Astra is only available as a 1.8VVT, for example). This could also be sorted-out by greater backing from the manufacturer and would lead to gains all round.

Apparently Saturn sales were down in Jan '08.

The Astra is a fine car, but not a class leader.
    I have to disagree. I had one for a while and the only "minus points" I could really find were:

- The diesel engine range (the 1.7CDTi engines need replacing)
    - Visibility out of the rear window
    - Lack of cubby-holes for things like SatNavs, iPods etc. (The glovebox is a decent size though and a front centre armrest with storage bin can now be bought as a dealer-fit option)

In fact, the reason I traded mine in for the C4 was more to do with the actual car I had (the model didn't suit my needs and the condition was awful) - I'd definitely consider another one.

IMO it's a definite class-leader - what do you consider to be at the top of the tree?
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    I see your point but I honestly don't think that's the case. It's the same situation as Ford with this Mondeo here - Ford are only looking back to what happened with the original Mondeo/Contour, and are afraid to back this one in the 'States for fear of another flop (despite this car being much better suited to the needs of the American public).

I think that the probable reason for customers not knowing how good the Saturn Astra is is that no-one knows what it is! - More promotion from GM, I reckon, could easily sort that out. I mean, no disrespect, but it's got to beat the Cobalt/Neon type cars.

The only reason I see left that Americans could see not to buy Euro-market cars is that the model ranges aren't expansive enough (the Astra is only available as a 1.8VVT, for example). This could also be sorted-out by greater backing from the manufacturer and would lead to gains all round.
    GM has had some flop before and in fact in either directions. The Manta flopped there, the Sintra flopped here. Despite that GM probably choose to make this move (and Ford may eventually do the same with the Fiesta for instance) propbably becuase their situation is so desperate. They need anything that can save them. If that's the Astra then so be it.

The fact that it's unknown, if that's the problem, is GM's fault aline though. It's propblem that has afflicted many other good cars, like the Lancia Thesis. Pormotion is basic these days if you want to sell anything. However once known there should theoretically be no reason for it to flop. Interestingly I was reading an article about Starbucks this morning and there was the concept of latte which were american people who dig european things (simplifying). Perhaps though it's at the wrong price point?

You see premium European cars have succeeded largely in the American market. Like Starbicks, they are expensive compared to the competition. People want Volkswagen-made Audis not Ford-made Lincolns. However the Astra isn't a premium car and it's not presented like one either. It's badged as a Saturn. So it's an economy family car. And yet out of the Focus/Caliber/Cobalt/Astra group it is the most expensive. Actually it's $1,410 more expensive than the next one. So in a way it falls in a no mans land. And that's bad.
    I have to disagree. I had one for a while and the only "minus points" I could really find were:

- The diesel engine range (the 1.7CDTi engines need replacing)
    - Visibility out of the rear window
    - Lack of cubby-holes for things like SatNavs, iPods etc. (The glovebox is a decent size though and a front centre armrest with storage bin can now be bought as a dealer-fit option)

In fact, the reason I traded mine in for the C4 was more to do with the actual car I had (the model didn't suit my needs and the condition was awful) - I'd definitely consider another one.

IMO it's a definite class-leader - what do you consider to be at the top of the tree?
    It basically needs better petrol engines, which are being introduced, and an independent rear suspension. Other things are just nitpicking.

My class leader? Tricky question but probably still the Golf. Or the Focus if you are on a budget. Money no object, the 1-series is brilliant though.
    Visca Catalunya!

OK, an on-topic post from me:

This new diesel engine and specification changes for the new Mondeo look really, really good.

Some people may be surprised to hear me saying that of a Ford, but in reality I'm not biased against them - I just haven't liked most of their offerings of the last 20-or so years for one reason or another. It seems they're coming back though!

I haven't read the whole press-release (there's only so much advertising/publicity BS a person can take), what I'll do is have a look at the car when it appears on forecourts...but the 175-PS diesel is exactly what this car needed for the European market (I'd definitely consider it if I were looking at that class of car), and I'm hoping that more highly-tuned versions of this engine are released in the future (a probability as performance diesels now have a market).

Also, I'd love to see this engine in future PSA offerings (espcially the C4 is possible) - that may be what it takes to make me consider an "upgrade" in a few years' time.

OK, I have a confession: This isn't an entirely on-topic post! I have a random question to ask:

On the subject of US-market Euro cars, why are the "Mk5 GTi" and Rabbit GLi electronically limited to 130mph? They're using the same engines and transmissions as Euro-spec cars AFAIK.

OK, an on-topic post from me:

This new diesel engine and specification changes for the new Mondeo look really, really good.

Some people may be surprised to hear me saying that of a Ford, but in reality I'm not biased against them - I just haven't liked most of their offerings of the last 20-or so years for one reason or another. It seems they're coming back though!

I haven't read the whole press-release (there's only so much advertising/publicity BS a person can take), what I'll do is have a look at the car when it appears on forecourts...but the 175-PS diesel is exactly what this car needed for the European market (I'd definitely consider it if I were looking at that class of car), and I'm hoping that more highly-tuned versions of this engine are released in the future (a probability as performance diesels now have a market).

Also, I'd love to see this engine in future PSA offerings (espcially the C4 is possible) - that may be what it takes to make me consider an "upgrade" in a few years' time.
    Oh noes! You've gone on-topic!

It is a PSA engine. It's already available in the C5, C6, C8 and C-Crosser as well as equivalent Peugeot offerings and Mitsubishi (Outlander-4007) and Fiat/Lancia (Ulysse/Phedra-807) twins.

The engine itself is based in the latest joint development of PSA-Ford diesels. So far we had 1.6 and 2 litre fours, the 2.7 litre six and the 3.6 litre V8. And now Ford uses that 2.2.

I agree though, this in C-segment sized cars would be ace.
    OK, I have a confession: This isn't an entirely on-topic post! I have a random question to ask:

On the subject of US-market Euro cars, why are the "Mk5 GTi" and Rabbit GLi electronically limited to 130mph? They're using the same engines and transmissions as Euro-spec cars AFAIK.
    Aha, you've gone off-topic again.

Again you're missing the point. Not only Americans can't tell a good car but they can't drive either.

(2 smilies should grant this isn't confused with a serious answer )

On a serious note many cars sold in the US are limited and also most brands don't actually advertise the top speed of their cars, while all europeans do. I guess we have the need ofr speed or something...
    Visca Catalunya!

Oh noes! You've gone on-topic!

It is a PSA engine. It's already available in the C5, C6, C8 and C-Crosser as well as equivalent Peugeot offerings and Mitsubishi (Outlander-4007) and Fiat/Lancia (Ulysse/Phedra-807) twins.

The engine itself is based in the latest joint development of PSA-Ford diesels. So far we had 1.6 and 2 litre fours, the 2.7 litre six and the 3.6 litre V8. And now Ford uses that 2.2.

I agree though, this in C-segment sized cars would be ace.

Again you're missing the point. Not only Americans can't tell a good car but they can't drive either.

On a serious note many cars sold in the US are limited and also most brands don't actually advertise the top speed of their cars, while all europeans do. I guess we have the need ofr speed or something...
    The 3.6L V8 is a diesel? What (car)s is/are it in?

I guess for whatever reason top speed isn't important to North Americans.

By the way, you have once again forgotten Canada and Mexico (I don't know what it's like in Mexico).

I know it's a PSA joint project; That's why I suggested it be transplanted into the C4, dumbass!

What I'd really like to see again are new-generation Maserati engines in Citroens!

Finally, some comedy around here that's not centred around "your Mum" jokes!!!

I guess my thoughts when I discovered those VWs were limited to 130mph were "What's the point, you don't get chance to use that kind of speed most of the time anyway." - it's exactly the same with the German cars (and others) that are limited to 155mph.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The 3.6L V8 is a diesel? What (car)s is/are it in?

I guess for whatever reason top speed isn't important to North Americans.

By the way, you have once again forgotten Canada and Mexico (I don't know what it's like in Mexico).
    It's available in Range Rovers. It has 272bhp and 472ft-lb.

About Canada and Mexico I decided to leave them off on purpose since you and them have some cars that aren't offered in America.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information