Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Iconic Car of All Time

Most Iconic Car of All Time

I posed this question to my buddy on MSN today and shortly after I came up with I think is the definitive answer. I won't reveal what I thought to be the most iconic car of all time as I want to see how long it takes you guys to pick it out. Once it is revealed, I am fairly confident that most people will agree.

#1 is pretty clear, but I think the more interesting task is formulating a top 5 or top 10 and as we speak my buddy are talking about it right now. I am unforunately not very familiar of cars from the Benz Motor Car until about 1965.

Clearly, people will disagree and argue but we gotta get cars representing a world wide view, I think that the list will lean heavily towards American and European cars largely neglecting other markets. The list will also tend to be leaning towards the past when there were fewer cars to chose between and it was easier for a car to dominate the market.

I will post some of my choices / ideas once you guys think of a few. Bonus points to those that guess the car I am thinking about for number 1.

This is very tough, but I'm going to go way back with the Ford Model T. It essentially brought the automobile to the masses, and popularized it in ways not seen before. As the quote goes, it "put America on wheels". So in that sense, it was pretty damn iconic.

edit. I guess it wasn't that tough after all. Well at least, that's what came to my head instantly. I'm interested to hear what you put.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Most Iconic Car of All Time = Volkswagen beetle

For spaniards it has to be the Seat 600.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo.Jenkens View Post
    That didn't take long. Model T is up there, but the VW Beetle I think is a worldwide phenomenon, and as such trumps the Model T. The Bug was produced in it's first generation form for 64 years. I think it sold more than 30 million units. Everyone knows the Bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    That didn't take long. Model T is up there, but the VW Beetle I think is a worldwide phenomenon, and as such trumps the Model T. The Bug was produced in it's first generation form for 64 years. I think it sold more than 30 million units. Everyone knows the Bug.
    Nuber of unit sold should not necessarily be a direct reason, though it should have some bearings. The Patent Benz Motor Wagen (1880's-1890's) should have to be contender as it was the first (correct me if im wrong) and started off the whole thing, just as in my oppinion the Wright Brothers Plane is the most iconic Aircraft (in my opinion). I also agree with the Model T, it didnt just put 'America on Wheels' it created the entire hot rod industry.
    I want to die in my sleep like my Grandma, not screaming like the other 3 people in her car.

There are 10 types of people in this world. People who understand binary and people who don't.

No one but car people know (and even that's a stretch...) what a Patent Benz Motor Wagen looks like. Much less its significance.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I would agree to that. Everyone knows what it is.

And, without it, there would be no Porsche.

VW = win.

The beetle, most produced "normal" looking car lol everyone knows a bettle, and they're still seen on the roads today.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I would agree to that. Everyone knows what it is.

And, without it, there would be no Porsche.

VW = win.
    Interestingly though, without Porsche there would be no Beetle either.
    Visca Catalunya!

And that's true.

Definetely Beetle, but the Model T is a close second, I think at one point 70% of all cars on the road were Model T's. If it wasn't that high it was up there though. But yeah the Beetle worldwide is huge. As far as a top 10 I think the Citreon 2CV, the Fiat 500, Honda Civic, and Toyota Camry should be included, the Camry might be too recent but I know the Civic has been around since like the 50s in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Definetely Beetle, but the Model T is a close second, I think at one point 70% of all cars on the road were Model T's. If it wasn't that high it was up there though. But yeah the Beetle worldwide is huge. As far as a top 10 I think the Citreon 2CV, the Fiat 500, Honda Civic, and Toyota Camry should be included, the Camry might be too recent but I know the Civic has been around since like the 50s in Japan.
    1972 for the Civic actually.
    Visca Catalunya!

Porsche 911

Nissan Skyline

BMW, every sport luxury competitor uses something of BMW for their own, they set the benchmark and others try to break it. Also copied, look at what some of you hate, the Bangle butt yet why are sooo many cars copying it?
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Clue's in the username, baby.

(Latter half, not former half)