Thread: Autozam AZ-1 / Suzuki Cara / Mazda AZ-550 (PG6S) 1992-1994

Autozam AZ-1 / Suzuki Cara / Mazda AZ-550 (PG6S) 1992-1994

The Autozam AZ-1

The Autozam AZ-1, known as the framecode PG6SA, is a mid-engined two-seat sports coupé kei car, designed and manufactured by Suzuki but sold by Mazda under its Autozam brand. It debuted in October 1992 until production ceased in 1994, and was perhaps most noted for its gullwing doors. Power came from the same Suzuki-sourced 657 cc turbocharged engine used by the Mazda Carol that produced 64 PS (47 kW) at 6500 rpm and 85 N·m (63 lb·ft) at 4000 rpm. Suzuki produced its own badge engineered version named the Suzuki Cara (PG6SS). The car is also popular as a grey import in some markets, and has been converted to left-hand drive for the Canadian and other left hand drive markets.

Production
    AZ-1: October 1992–1995 : 4,392
    Cara: 1993–1995 : 531

source : Wikipedia
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 12-09-2012 at 11:29 PM.

I love these cars! Iread about them in an import them quite a few years ago. But as they were an import and Australia's import rule (I pressume) dictates that you need to import 100 to be able to apply for compliance on the road, it wasnt possible to use one on the road, just track. The only time I saw one was at a car auction and it was reserved for 25,000 AUD. But about 2 months ago I saw one drive in to a petrol station, was so awesome. I'd love one if I could fit in it!

I'm pretty sure I bought one of these in GT4. Tuned it, drove it once at Tsukuba, and forgot about it until now.

(And I'm immature enough to realize this is my 69th post!)

Fan of it since Gran Turismo 2.
    Unique.

This is a Suzuki Cara, so I'm not making a new thread for it.

Edit- I've added more shots- they look like scans from a brochure.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 12-09-2012 at 11:54 AM.

This reminds me of Blade Runner's spinners; a cockpit of a car; 80s chique. Travelling in one on Tokyo's motorways and across Japanese highways at night would make it feel like you were in a spaceship. The small cockpit feel in sportscars is cool, and this is next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    This reminds me of Blade Runner's spinners; a cockpit of a car; 80s chique. Travelling in one on Tokyo's motorways and across Japanese highways at night would make it feel like you were in a spaceship. The small cockpit feel in sportscars is cool, and this is next level.
    I kinda have to agree- besides the Mercedes gullwings, how many other cars with gullwing doors have you seen?

I have yet to buy it and modify it in GT5. I'd like to see what happens when I put too much power into it.
    Last edited by NSXType-R; 12-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.

M2 1015

For 1994, There was the M2 1015 by M2 Incorporated. The most distinguishing part of the car is the front fog lights incorporated into the bonnet, and the all-new front bumper and rear spoiler. The car came in three different colours: white, black and silver. Like the Mazdaspeed version, the car was painted entirely in a single color.

Fifty were to be produced and sold by the M2 dealer, but they only managed to sell about half of its stock. The dealer covered their losses by selling the body parts individually. A genuine "M2 1015" can be identified by the rear emblem stating the version name.

Source: wikipedia.org
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Autozam AZ-1

It's time for some proper high resolution images.
    Suzuki Cara (3500x....)

Autozam AZ1

I'v never saw one in real life, occasionally you do see the Suzuki Cappuccino, but this looks more like a sportscar than the cappu.

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    I'v never saw one in real life, occasionally you do see the Suzuki Cappuccino, but this looks more like a sportscar than the cappu.
    Well the Capuccino was more a classic sportscar (MX-5 at 75% size, if you will) while this was far more futuristic and radical.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Duell View Post
    Autozam AZ1

I saw a Cappuccino in Hong Kong a couple years back, I did a double take because I thought it was a shrunken Dodge Viper.

Thread Information