Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Villeneuve signs with Sauber

Villeneuve signs with Sauber

[15/09/04 - 14:28]

Jacques Villeneuve signs with Sauber
    A special day for Peter Sauber

Jacques Villeneue will be back in F1 in 2005

Sauber Petronas has signed Jacques Villeneuve as a new driver from the 2005 season onwards. The 33-year-old Canadian entered into a two- year contract, which will come into effect on November 1, 2004. Jacques Villeneuve will be the team-mate of Felipe Massa who will continue to drive for Sauber Petronas next year.

Expressing his enthusiasm about signing Jacques Villeneuve, Team Principal Peter Sauber expressed himself delighted.

"I have to admit that signing a former World Champion is something truly special for me," said Sauber. "However, I want to make it clear that this was not the decisive factor. When I was talking to Jacques, I could feel that he is absolutely keen and committed to return to Formula One. He was always a great fighter and I am convinced that together we can achieve a lot. I fully realise that signing a former World Champion is also an obligation for the team to provide him with a car that meets his expectations. Sauber Petronas has made considerable progress this year, and I am confident that we are ready to tackle this challenge."

Jacques Villeneuve, testing today with Renault at Silverstone, is also optimistic.

"I am extremely excited to be back in Formula One with the Sauber Petronas Team, and I appreciate the confidence everybody is showing in me," Villeneuve said. "It is my goal to work with Peter and his team to bring them forward in the championship during the next two seasons. In my recent visit to Sauber, I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism which is apparent throughout the factory. I am looking forward to seeing the results that will be developed by the state-of-the-art wind tunnel."

Jacques Villeneuve entered Formula One in 1996 and won a total of eleven races. He was World Champion in 1997.

The news means that F3000 Champion Tonio Liuzzi will not race with the team in 2005, but has been linked to a test role with the squad.
    I am the Stig

Oh no, Villeneuve starting from the rear of the field with his attitude ? I can foresee lots of accidents and errors when being lapped

Hopefully he'll return a different driver and work to make the car a success for Sauber.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I think it's a good thing for him, especially if he feels it well.
    By the way, does somebody know where was he during his period of leave? holidays?

How the mighty have fallen...

biggysmalls - JV was keeping Eddie Ervine company..

Good to see make a return to F1. Hopefully he will bring Sauber up in the championship points ranks.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Tifosi
    Good to see make a return to F1. Hopefully he will bring Sauber up in the championship points ranks.
    Or bring Schumacher's down coz every time he's getting lapped he'll fight for the position and cause a crash ???

"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Or bring Schumacher's down coz every time he's getting lapped he'll fight for the position and cause a crash ???

He may have changed, can't blame him with Schumacher though. If my memory serves me right, Schumacher crashed himself and Villeneuve out in 97. Schumacher isn't any saint, he's quite well known to go to extreme lengths to win (ask Damon Hill).
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

So he is now going to use second choice Ferrari engines for two years, and when in 2007 MS will have retired he can move on to the first choice Ferrari engines?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

he;s just dreaming henk
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    So he is now going to use second choice Ferrari engines for two years, and when in 2007 MS will have retired he can move on to the first choice Ferrari engines?

hopefully not, not that i know Villeneuve's driving style or his personality, but i'd rather someone like Webber, Button, Alonso or Kimi to get the chance if they want it.
    I am the Stig

The word through the grapevine is that Raikkonen will most likely get the seat at Ferrari when MS leaves.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

well according to Schuey, retirement is still a while away, so by that time, a better challenger than Raikkonen might arise
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    well according to Schuey, retirement is still a while away, so by that time, a better challenger than Raikkonen might arise
    Very true, hopefully once Schumacher retires we might see a more level field in F1. Schumacher is a great driver and has made Ferrari a dominate team with his great leadership ability, and the fact that he can relate and talk to the engineers so that the car is perfect. With him gone I wouldn't be suprised to see Ferrari come down off its huge pedestal and be more equal with the other teams.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

yeah thats possible. its likely webber and button wont leave williams and montoya and raikkonen wont leave mclaren though, leaving most of the attention on alonso and fisichella more than likely
    I am the Stig

Thread Information